• Last Reply

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,

return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,

blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle,

light a motive. Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh,

this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament,

a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives

and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Basically since the early 1980s we have transformed our economy from one based on production to one based on consumption. During WWII the government encouraged people to conserve, plant victory gardens, recycle and imposed rationing so that resources could be directed to the war effort. Contrast that to the current president who likes to compare 9/11, Iraq to WWII. He says we are at war but what does he do? He encourages people to spend more, consume, gives them a big governmental payout and gives tax breaks to the rich. All financed by taking on debt. The differences are dramatic and the results of post WWII USA and that of post Iraq USA are going to be just as dramatic.

Basically since the early 1980s we have transformed our economy from one based on production to one based on consumption. During WWII the government encouraged people to conserve, plant victory gardens, recycle and imposed rationing so that resources could be directed to the war effort. Contrast that to the current president who likes to compare 9/11, Iraq to WWII. He says we are at war but what does he do? He encourages people to spend more, consume, gives them a big governmental payout and gives tax breaks to the rich. All financed by taking on debt. The differences are dramatic and the results of post WWII USA and that of post Iraq USA are going to be just as dramatic.

You didn't address what I had to say. You can't run an economy based on consumption. The time comes when the people producing the stuff that you are consuming wants to be paid for their work. Xfer all of the manufacturing jobs overseas and you eventually turn the USA into a 3rd world country. You are seeing the beginnings of that now.

i think a good answer to a lot of this is for the government to stop subsidizing this crap. let the farmers grow what they will. we'll find a way. don't subsidize oil, we'll deal with the increased prices as we are now. it'll be a big kick in the a$$ for many, but it's a necessary kick in the a$$. we need to forget this stupid ethanol thing as it will get us nowhere and look towards more sustainable methods of fuel. the market will eventually work itself out.

You didn't address what I had to say. You can't run an economy based on consumption. The time comes when the people producing the stuff that you are consuming wants to be paid for their work. Xfer all of the manufacturing jobs overseas and you eventually turn the USA into a 3rd world country. You are seeing the beginnings of that now.

^It's a mistake to believe that if you xfer all of the manfacturing overseas the tech jobs won't follow. Our computers are not only manufactured in China now, but designed there too. Our programming is done in India. Just like manufacturing, there is no reason that technical jobs can't be exported overseas. In fact it is easier to do so because there are no physical materials to move. It's one thing to be tech savy enough to use Windows, quite another to actually design and build the computer.

Americans live with this mistaken belief this is the best country in the world, but in that delusion they are missing the fact on how far they have fallen behind their peers. The fact that the economic house of cards that has been built by borrowing huge amounts of money prop up an unsustainable economy is is now starting to fall is a testimate of that. The only thing we have left is to sell off our resources and assets to the foreigners who have been selling us all of our material needs since the 1980s.

This thread is getting a bit off topic, but I will say that money tends to go where it is treated the best, so as we lament a weak dollar, look for foreign companies to build more facilities here, and foreigners to travel here in greater numbers. BMW has already announced an expansion of their South Carolina plant. Also, as wages rise in India and Asia due to increased demand for labor, the benefit of moving an operation there will diminish. I agree with all of the comments about re-tooling our education and labor force to be more competitive with other countries.

Well, oil is back down around the $100 level, and actually dropped into the upper $90s earlier this week. This is somewhat proof that the price is very sensitive to speculation, and is not really completely driven by supply/demand issues. Overall, I would expect to see an continued upward trend in the price of oil, but at least for this weekend, expect to see gas prices fall about 10% :lol: ... Right...

Oil definitely moves in correllation with the value of the US Dollar, but the magnitude of the rise or fall cannot be solely attributed to the exchange rate on the dollar. There are a lot of market forces that influence the day to day price of oil, and many of them are speculative, and may only be betting on direction moves in the price of oil.

With gas prices spiraling out of control, now is really a good time to start investing in future fuel and vehicle technologies, as demand increases and companies start accelerating their development to meet demand. Also, there has never been a better time that I can recall to promote mass transit.

Archived