Corridor K (Prop. I-3)

ocoeerunner

To anyone who would like to attend the latest meetings concerning Corridor K and I-3 going through the Ocoee gorge in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina the schedule is as below:

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Copper Basin Community and Senior Center

Highway 54,Route 1, Box 252, Copperhill, TN

Monday, October 15, 2007

10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon

Tri-County Community College

McSwain Building Lecture Hall

Murphy, NC

Monday, October 15, 2007

5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Refreshments will be provided)

Cleveland/Bradley County Chamber of Commerce

255 Keith Avenue

Cleveland, TN

Thursday, October 18, 2007

11:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m. (Lunch will be served)

Chattanooga/Hamilton County Development Resource Center

1250 Market Street, First Floor Conference Room

Chattanooga, TN 37402

Persons planning to attend are asked to RSVP to Frances White Hall at (865) 803-8994 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Call Melissa Ziegler of Wilbur Smith Associates at 865-963-4340 if you have any questions or need additional information.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 17, Wednesday, 2:00-3:00pm

Hugh and I look forward to connecting with you about Corridor K: Tennessee details, North Carolina plans, and Wilbur Smith study implications. (Time change from initial meeting announcement.)

Hugh, Kirk, Ray, and I attended the Wilbur Smith Associates meetings on Monday in Murphy and Cleveland. I look forward to preparing with you for the final meeting of this 3rd round of WSA meetings (Thursday, 11am, Chattanooga) and the following face to face stop Corridor K organizing meeting (1:30-3:00pm) discussing next steps for TN and the entire Corridor K route

If there are other groups not represented or individuals who would be interested in joining the call, please forward this email to them.

Conference bridge toll free # 877-737-0509, Pin 412549#

Please let me know if you plan on joining the call. I look forward to meeting you, perhaps over the phone in the afternoon.

Holly Demuth

Executive Director

Stop I-3 Coalition

[email protected]

Join us at www.stopi-3.org

Preserving and protecting the unique heritage and environment

of Southern Appalachia and nearby communities

by promoting sustainable transportation practices.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This highway would be a tough sell since it would have numerous environmental impacts through mountains and wetlands. Interstate 3 is unlikely to ever get built. It would be wise for Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee to build this corridor as a state built four lane expressway to avoid a lot of the EIS crap they have to go through. However, the downside is that they cannot get federal funding to build it that way. Nonetheless, Nashville, Tennessee's I-840 beltway was completed much sooner by just calling it Tennessee Highway 840 instead of I-840 BUT build it to Interstate standards. State funded roads can evade many environmental studies unlike federally funded roads.

I think NCDOT has more pressing matters on its plate than another interstate that basically would benefit GA more than NC. I would hope it doesnt get serious attention until these outerbelts get sorted out and some kind of direction on where the money should be spent.

Archived