"Exceptional" drought in Southeastern United States

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Atlanta's efforts to increase its water supply by building a new reservoir are being blocked by Alabama in Federal Court. Alabama sits downstream from a watershed that feeds Northern Georgia, Alabama and Florida:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedit...masuit1027.html

It sounds like this new reservoir will only serve about 3% of Atlanta's needs (?)

I agree on the Iraq part, but I don't see why the rest of the U.S. should pay for uncontrolled growth in the Southeast. It's the same as growth along the flood/hurricane prone coastal areas. There are consequences to growth in these areas, none of which should be shouldered by the rest of the country just because people choose to move there.

Statesboro, GA (where I am at right now), is getting quite a bit of rain. We've still got a drought down here, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is near my hometown, Douglasville, which is a suburb of Atlanta. I read an article last week that said the metro Atlanta area only had roughly a 90 day supply of water left. In Douglas County (where Douglasville is), anyone caught with their water on outside has their water cut off and has to pay a hefty fine (about $2000) to get it turned back on.

It rained up to 7 inches in some parts of NC (I know I got soaked to the bone running around drinking in downtown Raleigh Sat. night!!) Some towns are talking of easing restrictions, but not lifting completely. Still, the region needs up to 15 additional inches within a two week period to pull us out of this drought completely.

I agree and disagree - that growth must be managed and directed properly, and if there's a silver lining in these disasters (this drough isn't the only one in recent years to call into question the long-term livability of certain places/regions), it's that it may force the politically unthinkable - governments and planners in the SE, SW, and the Atlantic/Pacific/Gulf coasts may literally be forced into smarter growth, if certain areas are to have any shot at continued prosperity. The reasons people live in certain areas - of course - don't just come down to choice; known job opportunities in booming areas, or lower costs of living are a bottom-line issue; important enough that many are more than willing to take risks with hurricanes, tornadoes, epic droughts, quakes or firestorms. It's rather unfortunate that such places are where you have to be, oftentimes, to find booming job markets, or affordable real estate (or, in some places, both), but like it or not, that's the way it is.

The Great Lakes states are the winners in this, should the water situation worsen for most of the rest of us.

Interesting that officials measure that the area is still 10" below and then lifts the restrictions - no tough love eh?

Also intersting that a nice natural event like a hurricane could help you out by dumping some serious rain. For every action there is a .............

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'BUMP' Just wanted to update this thread...

I believe most of the SE has seen some measure of rain, but NOWHERE near enough to bust drought conditions. Here in NW NC, most resevoirs have seen increases with some resevoirs/lakes filling back to capacity. Rivers/streams seem to have increased flow as well. However, forecasts still look bleak for most of the SE.

The latest drought assesment from the government shows the drought persisting and intesifying in a large portion of NC, SC, GA, and developing in SE GA, and FL. TN, KY, VA, and a strip of western NC (from say Murphy to above Greensboro) could potentially see the drought end or at least conditions improve.

Things are still dire for the water needs for several cities, Atlanta, Durham, and Raleigh being the ones most at risk for water rationing, IMO.

Hopefully the spring forecasts will be kinder to the area.

And as a side note, Maiden, NC ( a town between Hickory and Charlotte) just had to let their water tower drain out completely because of some 'yahoos' who decided to make target practice of the tower. The tower was the main water source for the town and to repair it, they had to let it drain all 750,000 gallons of water. :angry:

I was just wondering how the drought situation was looking for the Southeast. This gif is pretty cool and shows a 12 week progression. It doesn't seem to have changed much since I started this thread, so I wonder why we haven't heard much about it?

12_week.gif

I was just wondering how the drought situation was looking for the Southeast. This gif is pretty cool and shows a 12 week progression. It doesn't seem to have changed much since I started this thread, so I wonder why we haven't heard much about it?

It likely hasn't been talked about much due to the Winter months and recent rains (though they certainly weren't enough to alleviate the serious drought conditions). I think most just don't correlate cold and dreary days of Winter with drough conditions like hot Summer months. No one is complaining that they can't fill their pools because they are covered and who's going to go out and wash their car when it is 30 degrees? I'm certain if conditions don't improve drastically, come this Spring it will be talked about much more than it was in the Fall.

Archived