Is the Heart being removed from Heartside?

d8alterego

Gentrification of Heartside  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the gentrification of Heartside will force the charities/poor out of the neighborhood?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dwelling Place has not sold any of their properties. They do have a market rate property downtown now but have no plans of decreasing the number of low income properties, that I know of.

Dwelling Place's Weston Apartment's are two six-story buildings with 190 units. They are located on the corners of Weston at Ionia and Commerce. The buildings have recently been remodeled but remain section 8 subsidized housing (30% of income). I believe they have a deal with HUD to keep them low income for 50 years. With the new refinancing, Dwelling Place will own the buildings in around 12 years.

The requirement for getting into Verne Barry Place is that you must be homeless for I think at least the last 3 months.

Both Missions are still here and have no plans of moving, that I know of.

Many people are very happy with seeing more market rate housing being built up while keeping the low income in tact. Heartside is a very diversified culture.

Archived