Tara Servatius

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on! Would it be possible for another paper to come to town? Some healthy competition.

I know that some people want an alternative to the main city paper, but the O has come out with the 'eye' which I think intends to be both a local paper for the people in the central part of Charlotte, but also as a guide to what is going on. There are a few other magazines that are attempting to do similar things. I think Creative Loafing wasted a very strong position by being as amateurish and mixed up in its understanding of its market. It has always seem incongruous to me that Creative Loafing would hire and keep someone like Tara Servatius. Somehow, it seems that she fits Rhino Times, but not Creative Loafing.

I have not been a reader of Creative Loafing for years. It is a non-entity to me at this point.

what tera needs in her life is some romance!

tera, like you, i enjoy long walks - void of transit hassle. i have an ipod - so, you can talk to me as long as you want and whenever we go out - you can be sure i will pick up your 1/2 cent sales tax... no, i insist. it's just the kind of gentlemen i am.

so, what da ya say - tera... is it a date?

*edit. i hope you don't mind that i spell your name with an "e"... it's just a preference.

From the League of the South's website FAQ section:

The Anglo-Celtic peoples settled the South and gave it its dominate culture and civilisation. We believe that the advancement of Anglo-Celtic culture and civilisation is vital in order to preserve our region as we know it. Should this core be destroyed or displaced the South would be made over in an alien image

From the League of the South's website FAQ section:

The Anglo-Celtic peoples settled the South and gave it its dominate culture and civilisation. We believe that the advancement of Anglo-Celtic culture and civilisation is vital in order to preserve our region as we know it. Should this core be destroyed or displaced the South would be made over in an alien image

Wonder if the League checked Tara's papers before they let her speak. She is Roman Catholic. And "Servatius"? Not an Anglo-Celtic name. Makes you wonder about her fact checking and background digging, doesn't it? Should she not have know these and other facts before fronting such a terrible organization?

Have I mentioned I think she's a hack?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but I have to bump this thread after the latest issue of Creative Loafing. Now Miss Servatius is telling us that Myers Park Baptist only likes gay people because the uptown elite and the Charlotte Chamber tell them to. It's quite obviously (in her mind-numbing view), a conspiracy.

Somebody get a straight jacket. There needs to be an intervention. Or maybe we just send her to Atlanta and she can be Nancy Grace's co-host.

^ Once again, there's nothing that anyone can do right (if her articles are to be believed). Take an anti-gay stance and you're a bigot; take a pro-gay stance and you're an elitist.

Or an article one week about how the courts let all the horrible thugs out and the police are doing a job that is thankless, then the next week the police shoot someone they think has a gun and THEY become the heartless thugs. One has to wonder if she even realizes how absurd she comes across. One can't take all side of all issues as long as the slant is negative.

Tara: Write an article about something you actually LIKE.

Tara: Write an article about something you actually LIKE.

she likes to b*tch... she could write a piece on the art of "b*tching."

seriously, i haven't read the "sorry excuse" for a weekly - the creative loafing - in many years... much less paid any attention to servatius. she has always struck me as a windbag - who loves the sound of her own voice.

i am baffled by all the companies that STILL advertise in the loafing (which pretty much fills all their pages)?? i guess people still pick it up? this city is hurting for a decent weekly.

*edit... i just realized i could probably write that article for ms. servatius. :)

she likes to b*tch... she could write a piece on the art of "b*tching."

seriously, i haven't read the "sorry excuse" for a weekly - the creative loafing - in many years... much less paid any attention to servatius. she has always struck me as a windbag - who loves the sound of her own voice.

i am baffled by all the companies that STILL advertise in the loafing (which pretty much fills all their pages)?? i guess people still pick it up? this city is hurting for a decent weekly.

*edit... i just realized i could probably write that article for ms. servatius. :)

The bottom line is she has lost all credibility. I know from personal experience that she either distorts the facts or ignores them if she likes the story she weaves more. She is a fiction writer - but not a good one. Regrettably I have added to the responsiveness she provokes. Maye if we all ignore here she will just go away.......

I think CL's readership is driven by their local-events listings, which are the most complete and easiest to find of any local rag. If I'm bored or don't have specific plans, I'll check CL because you can usually see what's going on at a glance. They also have a fairly regular rotation of inserts which are of interest to urbanites, and occasionally they'll scoop the O on an important local issue... but only very occasionally.

But there's no question that the editorial section is obsolete. The writing is usually below-average and the choice of topics is rarely interesting. I have a feeling that several CL columnists are writing only for their immediate family and friends, not for a large and sophisticated audience who actually expects a columnist to say something in 500 words or less.

People reading the editorial section of Creative Loafing? That's like buying a Huster for the articles.
:rofl: Well, the thought of buying Hustler sounds as bad as reading CL. But you have to give Larry Flynt credit, although the articles he publishes are normally unpleasant to read and a little disgusting, the mag doesn't bend the truth or make crap up for the hell of it. I'm speaking editorially only, of course. I'll end the post here. The thought of putting Hustler and Tara together is making me feel slightly ill. :sick:

• 10 months later...

According to the Observer they will remain in print, but who knows. So, two small papers in two weeks - first the Rhino Times. I do know that these publications were bringing in huge revenues with real estate ads -- Rhino said specifically that their dropping ad buys, primarily real estate, were the cause of their demise (in print). I wonder if the same is true for CL?

• 4 weeks later...

So in her latest article in the loaf, Tara takes on downtown regarding the latest bank situations and what downtown will mean years from now. She brings up some interesting points, but she doesn't offer any alternatives either. Yes I'm sure the coorporate landscape will be much different twenty years from now, but what would you do different than planning for good infrastructure, a variety of living options, travel and shopping options and so on. I think our city has strived very hard for this, with more success than not, and all she rants about is the costs.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived