Southern Living Idea House coming to Taylor

tennreb

I'm not so sure this is such a good idea. Taylor is an artist community of less than 300 people 15 minutes outside of Oxford in a rural, secluded area. Only a very minor highway runs through or close to it (a dog is often sleeping in the middle of this "highway"). It's not close to a city or a resort area, so it is surprising that Southern Living would choose this most out-of-the-way place. It probably doesn't even get more out-of-the-way in the South than Taylor.

The Oxford Eagle

Note: Please note linked article. TB

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the concept of Plein Air is admirable. I hope the commercial reality becomes more than just another gated community endorsed by Southern Living, purveyors of all things yuppie. Don't misunderstand. It's rather a nice change to see that a place in Mississippi could be seen as having a "problem" of gentrification. Having said this, I'm wary of the SL endorsement as I have seen far too many archihorrors glammed up in their pages. This isn't Alpharetta or Ponte Vedra Beach and I don't want to see this thing get too precious for words. Please God, don't let this thing become an architectural Because of Winn Dixie! I think I'll go have another look at their site.

Having done so, I can't say that the houses shown are objectionable- at least not in the renderings. I'm curious if wood is being used or if the builders will be allowed to use vinyl.

I think that the concept of Plein Air is admirable. I hope the commercial reality becomes more than just another gated community endorsed by Southern Living, purveyors of all things yuppie. Don't misunderstand. It's rather a nice change to see that a place in Mississippi could be seen as having a "problem" of gentrification. Having said this, I'm wary of the SL endorsement as I have seen far too many archihorrors glammed up in their pages. This isn't Alpharetta or Ponte Vedra Beach and I don't want to see this thing get too precious for words. Please God, don't let this thing become an architectural Because of Winn Dixie! I think I'll go have another look at their site.

Having done so, I can't say that the houses shown are objectionable- at least not in the renderings. I'm curious if wood is being used or if the builders will be allowed to use vinyl.

Archived