Perception of Fayetteville within the NC

CapeFearRiver10

I'm just curious on what people think of Fayetteville, NC? I'm back in Fayetteville for Fall break & I've been taking tours of my hometown & I see a lot of positive changes. The Downtown is growing were even getting good press in national magazines about our economy, & our city infill program has taken off. The whole purpose of this topic to decrease the backwards thinking from nearby cities of Fayetteville. So how do you feel about the Middle Cape Fear Hub?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't bash my backwardness, but we have customer in Fayetteville and the surrounding areas and there is no love from them for Fayetteville proper. I am constantly being told about the crime and nothing to do there (unless you're a military guy looking for a strip club) from nearby residents. The regional press rarely discuss positive news stories going on in Fayetteville, so that seems to exacerbate the image.

I think Fayetteville has a lot of potential. There will be higher crime closer to the military base as the businesses currently there (bars, adult entertainment, etc) lend themselves to trouble. Outside of those areas, Fayetteville is much like many cities in the SE US. I do wish they could revitalize and infill many of the distressed commercial areas in the city, I feel there is too much distressed commercial for a city Fayetteville's size.

Most individual's perceptions about Fayetteville are basically from past experiences. I think if they would come and visit Fayetteville today, their perceptions might change just a bit. Where Fayetteville may still need improvement, there are areas that have improved greatly. I think if one does check certain magazine lists, they will see much improvement in Fayetteville rankings. I have read on these threads where certain individuals who post regularly "down" some of these rankings when it comes to Fayetteville, but are quick to point the positive rankings for their prospective cities. What's with the double standard? These are just observations that I have noticed when reading posts in other threads such as the Triad and Charlotte. I have not noticed as many of these types of posts from the Triangle thread - I wonder why? Perhaps they are aware of the changes and the steps that Fayetteville is taking on in terms of improving it's image and quality of life. Change certainly doesn't happen overnight. What took years to get to the place where Fayetteville is, it will probably take just as long to "fix". Downtown Fayetteville revitalization started in the 80's, however, it wasn't until the late 90's before efforts finally paid off. As far as the strip clubs, bars, tatoo parlors, etc. comments, I would like to know of any city the size of Fayetteville that would not have any of these types of establishments. Recent trips to Charlotte and Greensboro lead me to believe that there are more strip clubs in those cities compared to Fayetteville. The reason why Fayetteville appears to have many is because the majority of these businesses are located along Bragg Blvd. and Yadkin Road. Fayetteville has made great strides in recent years to control these types of businesses, including closing some, and changing the zoning where they cannot re-locate. There are many efforts going on in Fayetteville that are taking place in improving the image of Fayetteville. It is quite easy to judge a city based on past experience, however, do not be so quick to judge without knowing the facts or what is currently taking place in that particular city. I could easily judge most cities in NC in a negative way, however, I always look at the positive, and can overcome any negative feelings that I may have for that particular city based on first or past impressions.

I'm an NC native and I can't say that I've heard too terribly much bad things about Fayetteville. Sure the phrase "Fayette-nam" has been used before....to hint that it's a heavily-miltary area. And I've heard complaints that it's one of the most unbearably hot places in NC during the summer. But really, that's about it.

You wanna see a city that's unfairly bashed alot, take a look at Durham. :(

Im an NC native and ive never heard anyone speak too highly of Fayetteville (except the folks who live there) and ive been there many times and i have to agree. Definitely the arm pit of the state. Im sorry our troops have to be stationed there but without them the town would be nothing. Its pretty run down and dirty looking with lots of stores that have bars on the windows and strip malls and its flat and its hot in the summer. Thats about it.

Im an NC native and ive never heard anyone speak too highly of Fayetteville (except the folks who live there) and ive been there many times and i have to agree. Definitely the arm pit of the state. Im sorry our troops have to be stationed there but without them the town would be nothing. Its pretty run down and dirty looking with lots of stores that have bars on the windows and strip malls and its flat and its hot in the summer. Thats about it.

I think the negativity comes from the military. It didn't get the nickname "Fayette-nam" by accident. Transient cities always have "tarnished" reputations because large numbers of those inhabiting them don't put down roots. They see the place as a stop on to someplace better and therefore treat it as a one-night stand. Why invest in your community when you only expect to be there a year or two?

And by the way, Jacksonville (NC) also has the same problem.

I've only driven through the edges of Fayetteville en route to the NC beaches, maybe stopping for a gasup or fast food, so I can imagine how one's image of the place can be jaded - though in reality you'd really have to spend some time there to make any kind of honest assessment. Knowing how many human beings operate, these "arm pit" opinions are easy to understand, if potentially unfounded. We have a user here on UP (completely blanking on his name, now resides in LV) who has posted numerous pics of Fayetteville and they tell a VERY different story, so perhaps the truth is really in the middle, just like most places.

And Roger67, what on earth are you talking about? You just did the very thing you seem to be ranting about, and are the only one to have done so.

The transient nature of the armed forces doesn't help Fayetville. But the problem has been compounded over the last four years with thousands of would-be residents half a world away, fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The greater military-industrial complex (see goodyear's tire plant) has kept the city tied closer to the working class vs. the more intellectual/research/creative sectors. I know there are strides being made to change this, but it is working against decades of inertia created by "this is how things were done". Plus the bases, and their protected adjacent property, limit growth in the area. When staying there while covering the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst, our group drove through and the major thoroughfares felt stuck in a time capsule -- except around the mall.

The city has collected "things" -- the coliseum, paratrooper museum, etc. -- but has only recently started on creating a sense of *place*. There might be more of a sense of things happening if there were more higher education opportunities available. Fayetville State is not enough (and recently was close to having accreditation issues) to churn out enough graduates to get companies to want to locate there, so graduates end up moving away.

I couldnt resist it any longer. Being a native of the city I knew reading the comments in this thread would get my blood boiling. Why must you ask because some of it is true. Fayetteville is a conusmer city. It produces very little but generates a lot of service related jobs. The wages are decent but what is the real problem. I say poor city planning back in the 70s and 80s has brought us to this point. DT has a great atmosphere with lots of old historcal buildings and houses that could have been refurbed or reused. Heck Fort Bragg has done a better job saving buildings from 1920s-to the present. The city is one of the oldest and historically important in the state but it doesn't come across like that. How to change it. Not sure. It has to be a monumental shift in thinking that I don't know the city leaders are willing to take. I have tons of ideas comments but like I said its hard to sit and bad mouth my city and then see comments that follow...so I will step away from this topic never to return. In the word of John Fox "it is what it is".

• 3 weeks later...

Fayetteville needs a hook. Otherwise its going to just be like any other city in eastern NC ala Goldsboro, Jacksonville, Rocky Mt etc.

Wilmington has a hook-its location and a college town. Greenville has a hook- its University and medical school/facilities. Fayetteville needs something to make it a draw or attraction because just being a city with a miltary base in the sandhills of NC isnt going to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a blurry line between constructive critisism and bad mouthing.

As for what to do going forward, attracting retirees, especially ex-military could reduce the "transient" nature of the area. Play off the proximity to Pinehurst with more golf courses and a more-accessible resort area. Maybe build a riverfront and tie it to downtown via trolley.

Speaking up at city council and neighborhood meetings could be a way to get other people thinking about improving the area instead of thinking they are just spitting in the wind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
^

Durham has its' issues (who doesn't?), but Durham is also a fairly forward-thinking place - to the extent than Durham has an image problem, the 'perception' of Durham (from outsiders) has been one of several rallying points for Durham residents' increased civic involvement. Durham may seem contentious or politically combative, but this is a clear, obvious indication that a diverse range of people in the city are willing to voice opinions, and (better still) get to work on various not always fashionable (but always worthwhile) goals. The varied voices of Durham don't always agree on how to meet those goals, but who does, and it does show that people who live there care enough to fight for it.

Thus - perhaps a good model for other large cities in NC with 'perception' problems (aside from Fayetteville and Durham, Gastonia also springs to mind). Fayetteville is what it is, but same as any sizable city, there's a significant pool of knowledge there. Military cities tend to get a bad rep and aren't the most glamourous places, but think of what retired military (for example) might be able to offer in a serious effort towards revitalization, especially at the business end of things.

Fayetteville has plenty of attributes to position it for success in the future.

Archived