Tampa History Museum

FloridaFuture

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks as though it has been well planned. I must admit that I'm not crazy about the exterior design, but it will possibly look better in the flesh. Perhaps it's the angle, but the building seems disjointed in the drawing.

Here's a picture from 20 stories up. If you need help with context, the building will be in the lot with the crane torwards the bottom of the pic.

Buildings9-23-07062.jpg

• 3 months later...

Is a county museum really the best use of that prime downtown waterfront land? Will people be pulling up in their 50 ft yachts to go to this. Is that really the prime hot spot for people to stop off at as they walk along the boardwalk? Is that attraction going to bring in the Super Bowl visitors next year? I think the building looks good, however, I just question placing that venue THERE. A Tampa history museum seems mundane to me for such a prestigious site.

hjack

I suppose you have a valid point, but would you rather see another Hard Rock Cafe built on the site? I agree that this may not be the most stimulating tourist attraction, but it is a worthy project and could blend well with other tourist anchors in the area. One has to start somewhere. This seems to be as good a building block as any.

The thing is, it's not about tourist. It's about what the RESIDENTS of Tampa will use. It's our waterfront and we want public uses for our water asset.

That said, it isn't that great for a Histroy Museum because it isn't in a very historic part of Tampa. Most everyhting around there is new. It should've been put in the old library.

The thing is, it's not about tourist. It's about what the RESIDENTS of Tampa will use. It's our waterfront and we want public uses for our water asset.

That said, it isn't that great for a Histroy Museum because it isn't in a very historic part of Tampa. Most everyhting around there is new. It should've been put in the old library.

Agreed (mostly). Good project, wrong site.

"I suppose you have a valid point, but would you rather see another Hard Rock Cafe built on the site?"

That is a ridiculous statement. Just because I don't believe the current project is ideal, does not mean that you can go ahead and imply that the only other choice is some eyesore chain establishment. What I expect, is that the people that have taken the role of city planners do it wisely.

hjack

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that such would be the only choice. Still, I don't especially see the harm of a local history museum in this location. Perhaps it could be combined with something else which might be more of a draw for visitors? I'm thinking of the coupling of Nauticus and the U.S.S. Wisconsin in Norfolk as an example. This is merely an idea.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived