MacArthur Center

Weaver24

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you recall there was a restaurant there at the mall that closed, and their back due rent was published in the paper. It was 1/2 a million dollars. When I calculated it out, I was thinking about how hard it would be to make that monthly nut on top of having staff and fixtures and insurance. Whew.

I somewhat forgot about Rain Forest Cafe.... That seemed like ages ago that they closed. I always wanted to do my own, natural disaster cafe. Take a building like F/x, and build out all tables on wooden decks with gazeebos (all covered)... then in cycles monsoon downpours ensue, along with crazy strobes and stuff. If you were really good, some sort of tesla coil spark gap discharge for lightning... it's all good until cell phones are ruined.

Anyways, I saw the head guy of MacArthur mall speak at a local thing, and I wasn't overly impressed. Sorry.

Oh yea, I bet you all didn't know this. I almost had a free wifi setup in MacArthur mall YEARS ago. It was an odd situation, but the mall was actually willing to allow it, and Cox was willing to front real connectivity! BUT... there was one thing. Cox wanted to be able to sell like phone and internet to mall tenants, but the mall wanted Cox to pay a percentage of every dollar made on phone service and internet or something (do they do this with Verizon? With Dominion electric?). I think Cox saw my project as a way to get the hardware in the mall and resell to other customer s finally, but the mall wouldn't let go of their desire to charge for utility access and it fell apart. This was way ahead of the curve too. Heck, I was trying to get Wifi in Waterside back in 02 or 03 or something crazy.

Even had a proposal and people lined up to do free wifi @ the airport, but the airport authority said it wasn't in the taxpayers best interest to do free.

And you all think I just whine about real estate markets :-)

I should clear up me not being impressed with the MacArthur guy... people were complaining about specific things, and I sometimes use the facilities they were complaining about, and I couldn't quite see where the responses lined up with the complaints (they were complaining about people with parking passes using spaces, and I happen to hold a parking pass).

It's more of a design flaw than anything, as the garage is ment to move the herd towards the stores, and not for people to park and easily exit out to the street towards nearby buildings.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. They have great shoes in ALDO for both men and women. Now I have to drive all the way to Patrick Henry Mall in NN to go to one. They just opened that one but I still don't understand why they left MacArthur. How do you guys feel about the change from Carvel to Hershey's Ice Cream? That doesn't seem too good to me. Carvel Ice Cream was great and Hershey's Ice Cream is no where near gourmet. You could go to one of the convenience stores in the ghetto and find Hershey's Ice Cream (no pun intended but paying for parking, the mall design and intended purpose was to provide a WORLD CLASS SHOPPING EXPERIENCE...not have to be completely upscale but definitely not downscale...am I right?) What's up with the Mr. Convenience? Why is that even in the mall? That could've been on the outside somewhere. I mean I'm sure tourists to Downtown think this is a joke. And why will I drive to downtown and pay for parking to go to a convenience store? I really hope that Tubman or whoever owns the mall will try to bring in better tenants because Military Circle and Pembroke pretty much sucks (they do have a few stores I like but not alot).

I agree. They have great shoes in ALDO for both men and women. Now I have to drive all the way to Patrick Henry Mall in NN to go to one. They just opened that one but I still don't understand why they left MacArthur. How do you guys feel about the change from Carvel to Hershey's Ice Cream? That doesn't seem too good to me. Carvel Ice Cream was great and Hershey's Ice Cream is no where near gourmet. You could go to one of the convenience stores in the ghetto and find Hershey's Ice Cream (no pun intended but paying for parking, the mall design and intended purpose was to provide a WORLD CLASS SHOPPING EXPERIENCE...not have to be completely upscale but definitely not downscale...am I right?) What's up with the Mr. Convenience? Why is that even in the mall? That could've been on the outside somewhere. I mean I'm sure tourists to Downtown think this is a joke. And why will I drive to downtown and pay for parking to go to a convenience store? I really hope that Tubman or whoever owns the mall will try to bring in better tenants because Military Circle and Pembroke pretty much sucks (they do have a few stores I like but not alot).

Archived