The Sydney Harbour Bridge - a Sydney icon

Delta

Although there are hundreds of bridges (and a growing number of tunnels) in the greater Sydney metropolitan area, The Sydney Harbour Bridge is probably the most famous art deco bridge in the world. A Sydney icon that was officially opened Saturday 19 March 1932.

The general design was prepared by Dr J.J.C Bradfield and officers of the NSW Department of Public Works of the day.

It now carries in excess of approximately 200,000 vehicles a day, 24/7. It consists of 8 traffic lanes, 2 very busy rail lines and 2 pedestrian walkways on both the eastern and western sides (the western side doubles up as a cycleway).

Its height to top of arch above sea level is 134m/433ft and the total length including the approaches is 1149m/3,770ft.

The four impressive, decorative 89m/292ft high pylons are made of concrete, faced with granite.

Time for lots of pics ;)

Starting with a few of its construction....

brpressaa.jpg

spans3b.jpg

arch2.jpg

br8raaga.jpg

...and moving right along....

sydbridge1.jpg

aus0006.jpg

379northsydney4.jpg

379northsydney3.jpg

harbourbridge_02.jpg

***To read & see more: http://www.gids.nl/sydney/info.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that people are allowed to walk across the top of the supports of that bridge.  Is that true?  Must be quite a thrilling walk if so.

Yes, true. About 12 people are taken up at a time in protective and safety gear. I think it costs almost AUD$100.00 to do so.

Some happy customers:

BridgeClimb.JPG

image039.jpg

Bridge%20climb%20e%2027feb03.JPG

BridgeClimbCity14x9.JPG

At one time I lived near the swimming pool seen in the picture of the Milsons Point side. I have seen the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC and Golden Gate and Oakland Bay Bridges in SFO. What sets Sydney apart and makes the Sydney Harbor Bridge so special is the setting, and the view from Kirribilli looking back to city is one of the great man made vistas of the planet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome thread, I grew up on an island, and love bridges, especially the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

This is the Sagamore Bridge leading to Cape Cod. I grew up with this bridge and it's twin, the Bourne Bridge.

Bridges%20-%20Sagamore%20Bridge006.jpg

Similar style to Sydney's.

• 1 year later...

Archived