New Port Tampa

FloridaFuture

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps something more realistic will arise in its place. It's a tough market in many places right now, but you may have a point about Tampa being an even tougher nut to crack for condo developers. I would still like to see the idea of living downtown take off in Tampa. I don't doubt the alluring amenities of the suburbs, but these are practically the same in any city. The yards are always bigger, the pools deeper and bluer and the sun just shines brighter for many people who prefer the suburbs. Good for them. The market for downtown living in Tampa shouldn't be discounted because of this project alone, though your blunt assessment may not be far off the mark. This isn't a great time for condos now, but I think if the builders return with a more realistic project, something might actually happen.

Perhaps something more realistic will arise in its place. It's a tough market in many places right now, but you may have a point about Tampa being an even tougher nut to crack for condo developers. I would still like to see the idea of living downtown take off in Tampa. I don't doubt the alluring amenities of the suburbs, but these are practically the same in any city. The yards are always bigger, the pools deeper and bluer and the sun just shines brighter for many people who prefer the suburbs. Good for them. The market for downtown living in Tampa shouldn't be discounted because of this project alone, though your blunt assessment may not be far off the mark. This isn't a great time for condos now, but I think if the builders return with a more realistic project, something might actually happen.

I will readily concur that short commuting time alone is not sufficient reason to move to an area. It would help to get an idea of the pulse of Tampa's downtown area. Ybor City has more restaurants and so on? I hate the idea of giving up on a downtown area. The whole residents vs. activity thing is a paradox. One wilol not happen without the other- at least not usually. You have a valid point about perceived value as well. The number of people willing to sacrifice space for convenience is what sells these units in most cases. I suppose your "convenient to what?" query has a ring of truth. Isn't Tampa's downtown area going to evolve? I'd think it would, if given half a chance. What are they key elements you think are missing from the downtown area? Jobs?

I will readily concur that short commuting time ialone is not sufficient reason to move to an area. It would help to get an idea of the pulse of Tampa's downtown area. Ybor City has more restaurants and so on? I hate the idea of giving up on a downtown area. The whole residents vs. activity thing is a paradox. One wilol not happen without the other- at least not usually. You have a valid point about perceived value as well. The number of people willing to sacrifice space for convenience is what sells these units in most cases. I suppose your "convenient to what?" query has a ring of truth. Isn't Tampa's downtown area going to evolve? I'd think it would, if given half a chance. What are they key elements you think are missing from the downtown area? Jobs?

Nothing wrong with "pie in the sky" as long as you are a baker. As you say, cities with big dreams tend to accomplish more than cities which take Sominex. A downtown bookstore can be more of a catalyst than people realize. When I lived in Philadelphia, the presence of Borders in Chestnut Hill and Barnes & Noble on Rittenhouse Square got me out of Germantown every time (yes, I am one of those weird guys who reads books). Philadelphia is still a mixed bag, but they have revived Center City. The same thinking could revive Tampa.

HeyTombarnes, when were you in Philly? We're talking about the same Rittenhouse area. I used to go to the Barnes & Noble there, but I got seduced by the newer larger Borders a few doors down.

My pie in the sky dream would be to open up all the rivers around Tampa by adding locks and raising bridges so that everyone on the river would have access to the Bay. As well, more points of interest could pop up along the rivers. Imagine the people in Temple Terrace being able to get out to the Bay and being able to stop off for lunch before they even got to Palm River. What would that do to property values? :) My biggest fantasy would be to move the shipping docks along the channel further south and creating a high class (well, better than Atlantic City) Tampa Riviera in its place. And how about the world's fastest train between Tampa and Orlando, essentially joining a children's paradise to an adult's paradise by a 15 minute train ride (which would be an attraction itself). Create a beach at McKays Bay and sink the ugly power lines to the bay floor. The ecologists/epa would surely assassinate me for even having such thoughts... Just a dream...

Great renderings "my"Future :D. My office handles the wetslip (marina) portion of these type of projects. Looks like this one will be a good revenue generator. I'm going to go down the hall to see if my co-worker has heard of this project since this is her district. I'd like to see the water look as blue as it does in those renderings when this is complete. I hope this isn't in an aquatic preserve or manatee/sensitive area.

Upon a second look, it appears this place has over 200 wet slips. I can just imagine the sq. footage. FYI, currently our rate per sq.ft. is approximately $.14 per square/year. I'd love to know what the name of this project is, or if you have the address, that would be even better.

"Great renderings "my"Future grin.png. My office handles the wetslip (marina) portion of these type of projects. Looks like this one will be a good revenue generator. I'm going to go down the hall to see if my co-worker has heard of this project since this is her district."

??

Florida, are you reading this thread? This project (New Port) is dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived