Visitor not impressed by Hartford

grock

OUCH! I found this interesting post from city data forum

My husband I came to Connecticut this weekend to do some house hunting in anticipation of our relocation here for a new job, and I must say we were underwhelmed, actually very disappointed. Our plan was to buy something downtown so he could walk to work and we could experience city life walking to museums, theater, etc. Except for the Cape and Boston we are unfamiliar with New England and expected Hartford to be like Providence, where we attended a wedding last year and fell in love with the city.

Hartford has amazing architecture and is a pretty city, but there is nothing to do here. We passed empty storefront after empty storefront, and so many vacant buildings and parking lots. We were stunned that the Starbuck's was closed on a Saturday afternoon, and again on Sunday. For a city with so many big companies we were also stunned there was no movie theater downtown. There are no stores, either. Yesterday it was like a ghost town.

As for housing we were told the premier place to buy was the Bushnell Tower. We were not impressed. It is a concrete fortress-like building surrounded by bus stops. We looked at Hartford 21 from the outside, but were told it is only rentals. The brownstone we looked at was fabulous, but again the city overall was a turnoff.

It seems all of downtown is surrounded by shady neighborhoods. We looked at that Congress Street that someone mentioned, but were told we would have to past several homeless shelters and a dangerous park to get downtown.

The real estate agent took us to a few suburbs, and again we weren't impressed. Glastonbury had some nice homes, but it is not very walkable and the town seemed desolate. West Hartford was somewhat nice, but it was basically shops and restaurants and far from downtown. Even the realtor admitted, the cultural attractions are in Hartford, and all the shopping in West Hartford.

We expected more. The whole place seems poorly managed. Providence seemed to have everything, and Hartford has so much potential, but has very little.

In the end, I think my husband and I will probably rent and hope our stay in Connecticut isn't very long. Connecticut is not what we thought it was.

Thank you for your help.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that there is actually a ton to do in the city, but it's one of those places where you actually have to know where to look to find what you want to do. Places like NYC, Boston, etc, the things jump out at you, or you do things that everyone knows to do. In Hartford, you either have to know about things, or get lucky and stumble on something. There are always things to do, you just have to know where to look.

MadVlad-

That is it on the head. Do folks know about Allen Street south of the HCC? Or to go inside the G. Fox building for 360? Or South Main. Or West End. That Two Doors place looks interesting but what is it? They are all looking for NEON to tell them "this is the place." Well, the place, is all over the city.

By the way Bushnell Towers was designed by American icon I.M. Pei. Sorry you don't like it.

The Bushnell Tower complex is ugly and of poor urban design no matter who designed it. I.M Pei is just overrated.

I don't blame the poster for not liking the area. There are nice places but you need a car. We are way behind in this region in walkable communities. Even our governor commutes from Brookfield to Hartford every day, what a joke.

Also, 5 years ago Hartford still had the Civic Center mall with a bunch of clothing stores still operating and TJ Maxx, Radio Shack, Munson's Chocolates, etc. We have more restaurants now, but I think 5 years ago we had more to offer. The conventions that were in the Civic Center are now at the Convention Center. Also we had J. Silver and the shops in the building across the street, even Motophoto at the time that are now gone.

Ok, so the reason she didn't like downtown was there insn't enough stores. Then the she is taken to W. Hartford and she doesn't like it because there are only stores. And another thing, W. Hartford is not far from downtown. It is max 10 minute ride. Some people can't be pleased at all.

Providence has a mall, water fire, and Brown University which Hartford doesn't have. Providence has just as many shaddy sections as Hartford.

Ok, so the reason she didn't like downtown was there insn't enough stores. Then the she is taken to W. Hartford and she doesn't like it because there are only stores. And another thing, W. Hartford is not far from downtown. It is max 10 minute ride. Some people can't be pleased at all.

Providence has a mall, water fire, and Brown University which Hartford doesn't have. Providence has just as many shaddy sections as Hartford.

The woman brings up a good point. Visitors to Hartford should be able to walk out of their hotel and go shopping, and grab a Starbucks. You shouldn't have to drive 10 minutes. What about conventioneers who take a cab from Bradley come to the city to go the Convention Center and stay at the Marriott? Take another cab to West Hartford Center?

The woman brings up a good point. Visitors to Hartford should be able to walk out of their hotel and go shopping, and grab a Starbucks. You shouldn't have to drive 10 minutes. What about conventioneers who take a cab from Bradley come to the city to go the Convention Center and stay at the Marriott? Take another cab to West Hartford Center?

Archived