ICCF Lunch and Learn

GRDadof3

Which date work best for the next lunch-n-learn?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a date that would be your #1 pick

• Thursday Nov. 8th
    • Friday Nov. 9th
    • Monday Nov. 12th
    • Tuesday Nov. 13th
    • Any of these would be fine

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to seeing everyone on Friday at the Lunch and Learn. We're very lucky; Houser will be our tour guide.

11:30 am: Meet at 920 Cherry SE, at the front of the building, under the columns.

• There is limited parking available in the parking lot behind the Green Well and on Cherry Street. Please allow yourself enough time to find parking. The Rapid routes #6, 4, 5, & 14 all have stops within a block or two from 920 Cherry SE.

Lunch will be provided after the tour by our host, ICCF. Lunch will be served in the renovated auditorium.

Any questions, send me an email.

Thanks,

Rachel Lee

Thanks to all who arranged this. Really interesting to see the inside of such an amazing transformation.

Good to put some faces to names too and apologies to Ryan if he's on here. I realized when I got back to my computer that I was confusing him with "Bryan". Although I'm sure I wasn't half as confused as he must have been when I came up and introduced myself out of the blue as though we'd talked before!

Those of you who weren't wearing name tags. I assume your notoriety preceeds you ;)

Thanks to all who arranged this. Really interesting to see the inside of such an amazing transformation.

Good to put some faces to names too and apologies to Ryan if he's on here. I realized when I got back to my computer that I was confusing him with "Bryan". Although I'm sure I wasn't half as confused as he must have been when I came up and introduced myself out of the blue as though we'd talked before!

Those of you who weren't wearing name tags. I assume your notoriety preceeds you ;)

More pics. How many were there total TripleG, about 30 people?

1936380578_2a3f8e8b22.jpg

1935536529_9a5f9eb063.jpg

This stage was original to the DA Blodgett orphanage, and was used for Vaudevillian plays for the kids:

1935540803_cf42334194.jpg

Since we've seen so much of the front, here are some new patios on the back:

1935533151_4205009fcd_b.jpg

1936364652_a3ec2c4577.jpg

Part of the beautiful iron stairwell:

1935524153_febec4d2d3_b.jpg

The new columns:

1936385440_f61b85a393_b.jpg

1936391442_a0fa5469a0_b.jpg

There were several areas I wish I would have gotten pictures of, including the main conference room on the front side of the building, with beautiful original wainscoting and beamed ceilings.

I think our next Lunch-n-Learn is already in the works, and may include a more "beverage-oriented" facility. :whistling:

A couple of thoughts from a first time Lunch and Learner.

My first surprise was that there would be no introductions of group members before we started the tour. Most everyone kept to themselves or spoke to old friends. But the vibe was still very friendly and open. I assumed it was because virtually everyone already knew each other.

The tour itself was perfect for my short attention span. Learned a lot about a Grand Rapids landmark and it's beautiful rebirth. Our tour guide struck exactly the right balance between sharing facts about the structural renovation, it's history as the Blodgett Home and the current mission of ICCF. Never as easy as it sounds.

I suppose the lunch half of the event was a bit less than I had expected, but free, hot, and much appreciated. I certainly wolfed down my share.

I was lucky enough to share the lunch hour with TSlater, HighwayGuy and Veloise. Also got to meet GRDadof3. All great people, as I'd suspected from their regular contributions to this site. I spent the better part of the hour monopolizing Veloise's time, peppering her with questions about downtown condos and general U.P. do's and don'ts . I'm every bit as opinionated as she is and she showed great patience. She even provided a few hints for "framing" my postings and questions in the future. Much appreciated, Veloise.

Upon reflection, I guess I wonder if the lunch approach was typical. Has a format ever been tried with everyone making a small financial contribution in order to provide local food?

Before I forget, let me add my thanks to Rachael and everyone else involved with making this happen. I'm certainly looking forward to the next event!

John

ICCF being a non-profit low-income housing organization, it makes it hard for them to provide a full-blown lunch. I even told Johnathon Bradford that I felt guilty for them providing lunch for us, since we asked them to host the tour for us. The lasagna was pretty good though. :)

Some places don't allow catering to be brought in if they have their own catering services. Some of the tours, like Clearwater Place and the Ice House, didn't actually have lunch, which seemed to be fine for everyone involved.

I haven't been to one where formal introductions were made. I think some people like to enjoy their anonymity, so I wouldn't want to put people on the spot. In addition, many times people come along for these tours who aren't UP members. I think Rachel has asked people to put their "handle" on their nametags if they have one.

FWIW, there were a lot of people there I didn't recognize (maybe 1/2).

Thanks for the feedback John (Montague).

I was lucky enough to share the lunch hour with TSlater, HighwayGuy and Veloise. Also got to meet GRDadof3. All great people, as I'd suspected from their regular contributions to this site. I spent the better part of the hour monopolizing Veloise's time, peppering her with questions about downtown condos and general U.P. do's and don'ts . I'm every bit as opinionated as she is and she showed great patience. She even provided a few hints for "framing" my postings and questions in the future. Much appreciated, Veloise.

Here are some additional pictures from the tour.

A new front information desk. You can also see the original floor on the main floor entrance.

1974775638_245dc52205.jpg

The original steel staircase running up and down the center of the building.

1973981489_58cb88d2be.jpg

The original Boardroom.

1974751714_8a226ad852.jpg

The extensive detail of the woodwork around all the windows and doors.

1973937345_63ffb321e6.jpg

A picture of the boardroom wall. I don't know if you can make it out or not, but the top portion is painted and the bottom portion is actual fabric. The wood work was covered with 10 coats of paint. It took a crew several weeks just to strip the pait off.

1974817578_8f0a268d42.jpg

A picture of the ballroom and rebuilt stage.

1974742638_f5bb8f2ec5.jpg

A close up view of the detail on the pillars. This was taken from the top balcony on the fourth floor.

1973970553_154009eb0e_b.jpg

A top view of the front park and Cherry St.

1974786096_5149e0e269.jpg

Thanks again to ICCF, Triple G and everyone else involved with setting up the tour :good:

Haha...no worries. I had to take off early to get back to work, but WOW, what a beautiful building. The woman who took us through mentioned that the solar panels on the roof only account for about 4% of the energy used on site. I mentioned to Veloise that there are a TON of lights in that place--on almost all the time. Maybe the energy consumption could be reduced if ICCF used CFC's in them instead of regular light bulbs?? Just throwing it out there...

Anyways, thanks a TON to Houser and the rest of ICCF for putting it on. I am extremely appreciative to them not only for this event, but for doing such a wonderful job bringing this building back to life. Again, this place is magnificent!

A couple of thoughts from a first time Lunch and Learner.

My first surprise was that there would be no introductions of group members before we started the tour. Most everyone kept to themselves or spoke to old friends. But the vibe was still very friendly and open. I assumed it was because virtually everyone already knew each other.

John

Just a quick comment for those of you who are concerned about electricity consumption. There are very few incandescent light bulbs in use in the building. In fact they are only used in historic fixtures where the little twisty florescent bulbs would stick so far out of the fixture so as to be visible. If any one knows where we can find stubby versions of those, please let me know.

Beyond the bulbs, all lighting in the entire building is on a master governor system meaning that they are switched off between 6pm and 7am. On top of that all fixtures in the building excepting those in hallways are also controlled by motion sensors. If there is no movement in the room after three minutes they are switched off. New movement in the room switches them on automatically, and don't even have to clap!

Archived