Parking Deck Construction on US74 Just East of 485

CharNative

I tried searching old topics to figure out what is being built where the old car junk yard used to be in Stallings with no luck, does anyone know what is being planned at this site? I assumed it was another car lot until I saw what looks like a parking deck taking shape. Of course it still could be a car lot and they are just building up to use less space like I have seen at some dealerships in Miami.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendrick is building an auto mall similar to the one in Cary at roughly the same location you mention. It's sort of a self contained office park for car dealers. Its a much better solution that strip style locations. Its to be located on the County line in Stallings and Matthews.

If that deck is in Union County then it is neither CPCC nor Hendrick. Both of those will go in Meck County and they'll be built near eachother so that CPCC can build an auto-mechanics school.

Here is the thread on the Hendrick automall:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Charlott...ship-t9354.html

Hendrick's automall will be on an extension of McKee Rd just outside of 485. It was expected to begin construction soon, so it if the deck mentioned here is in the right place, it might be it.

I believe that Hendrick did purchase the old auto salvage yard as an addition to the Auto Mall that would be in Union County. I never heard of any plans for decked parking, but if it is on that site, it should be part of the Hendrick master plan, which also include a hotel, mini-office park, retail center, and some townhomes....plus 11-13 dealerships.

About 10% of the auto mall crosses into Union County and Stallings. When Mckee Rd reaches 74 it will actually be in Union County and will be a really strange bridge configuration.

The more exciting project in the area is Matthews' first real shot at planning TOD for the future transit corridor. There will be a large mixed use project and a large County Sportsplex on 300 vacant acres just inside 485 at 74. Independence Pointe Parkway will be extended under 485 along with transit and will directly connect the CPCC campus back into Matthews. Of course most of this is a long ways off....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in Munich this past year, and saw a 25 story round building with a rotating Mercedes Benz logo on the top. I asked my hosts what that was, and it was indeed a MB dealership. With the rising price of land, and the diminishing undeveloped areas, this is probably something we will see more of in the US before too long. It does take the problem out of car shopping on a cold or wet day.

Yeah, you wouldn't know it in this town, but car dealerships can actually be pretty cool. Hopefully Smartcar's introduction into the states next year will bring a little of that architectural love. As for what they're building down by 485, I'm not holding my breath. The construction looks pretty hohum conventional thus far.

smartville.500.jpg

Archived