Alabama International Airport

DRJWAREAGLE

Everyone's heard the tale. While Birmingham's city leaders was worring about enough fire hydrants, Atlanta was talking to Delta and convincing them to come the city. Atlanta and Birmingham were almost the same size then, but now, not even close. The one thing that has turned Atlanta into Hotlanta is Hartselle-Jackson. Now it's Alabama's turn. Most peple hate Atlanta's airport and their about to run out of room in A-town. Could the state have 3 truly international airports, Hunstville International for the North, Alabama International for Birmingham and Montgomery, and Gulf Coast International for Mobile and Pensacola.

Alabama International Airport would be located in Chilton County. Located just off 1-65, the airport would serve all of central Alabama, including metro Birmingham and Montgomery. Even though the airport would be far out from downtown. Birmingham International could be turned into a very nice private jet facility. Alabama International could be Alabama's gateway to the world. With flights to London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Seoul, Rio, ect. I could also see the airprot being the hub for Southwest,Jetblue, US Air, or stealing Airtran from Atlanta. This idea was tossed around in the early 90s by Guy Hunt, but went nowhere when the FAA denied funding. Mabey a state-wide referendum election on transportation infastucture would do it. I'd vote for it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That whole Alabama International Airport idea has been dead for a nearly decade for 3 reasons. 1) Birmingham deserves to have an international airport with its name on as it seems to always get the short end of the stick in this state. That seems to be the one of the biggest problems with this state is the lack of acknowledgement that Birmingham is only real major city (on a national standpoint) in this state. So it deserves the respect and civic pride to at least have its name placed on the airport (as the name of the facility or hypenated along with Montgomery) instead of some generic name like "Alabama International Airport". 2) The current Birmingham International Airport has a long-term plan with property buy-outs (past, present, and future) to expand the airport so it can become a world-class international airport & gateway for Birmingham and Alabama. 3) Location. The current airport is close enough to the City Center and the majority of the metropolitan area that when the area mass transit system is finally expanded and functional to most would-be riders, it would easily have a direct connection.

The whole idea of building an international airport that far out from Birmingham is only going to add to the problem not offer a solution or alternative to our current infastructure issues.

I agree with Leonard... Furthermore, I can't for the life of me understand why Birmingham would ever agree to abandon such an extremely convenient airport. There's not many airports more convenient to the city core. Secondly, Chilton County? Birminghamians might as well drive to Atlanta?

• 1 month later...
Umm, I don't think it will ever be built. Birmingham will become an excellent airport that supports the region, but, I don't think that it will ever become hub status. The only reason we would build another international would be to attract a hub, and frankly, airlines aren't interested in expanding hub numbers at the moment, as they're actually removed hub status from some. If an airline ever looks to Alabama for a hub, it'll be at an airport with ample room to expand and one that is too far away to have to compete with Atlanta. That really takes Alabama off the list, but, if they every do look to put a hub in Alabama, I'm sorry, BHM, but, it won't be you. It'll likely be Huntsville.

Personally, I'd rather it be Birmingham, but, Huntsville has much more room to expand and excellent defense systems in the area to ward off attacks on airports if they should ever occur.

EDIT: Oh, and if it was built, it would likely replace BHM as the main airport. BHM might be used for corporate jets, but, that's about it. But, it won't be built, the city has invested way too much money in BHM to let the state do this.

Umm, I don't think it will ever be built. Birmingham will become an excellent airport that supports the region, but, I don't think that it will ever become hub status. The only reason we would build another international would be to attract a hub, and frankly, airlines aren't interested in expanding hub numbers at the moment, as they're actually removed hub status from some. If an airline ever looks to Alabama for a hub, it'll be at an airport with ample room to expand and one that is too far away to have to compete with Atlanta. That really takes Alabama off the list, but, if they every do look to put a hub in Alabama, I'm sorry, BHM, but, it won't be you. It'll likely be Huntsville.

Personally, I'd rather it be Birmingham, but, Huntsville has much more room to expand and excellent defense systems in the area to ward off attacks on airports if they should ever occur.

EDIT: Oh, and if it was built, it would likely replace BHM as the main airport. BHM might be used for corporate jets, but, that's about it. But, it won't be built, the city has invested way too much money in BHM to let the state do this.

Actually once they FAA and BAA (Birmingham Airport Authority) completes their plan to purchase all the land surrounding the airport, the land size of the BHM (property within its possession) will very comparable in size to HSV. BHM does and will have even much more room to grow, but the hub status thing is doubtful.

My suggestions for a new international airport, which will eventually be needed, would be to place it in NW Jefferson County. There's a relatively huge swath of land near Flat Top Road, north of Adamsville, and adjacent to U.S. 78. The property sits perfectly at, what will be, the intersection of I-22 and the Northern Beltline. The area is oddly flat considering the mountainous terrain surrounding it and, from what I'm being told, is old mining land that is being reclaimed. The site is also outside of the Turkey Creek/Five Mile watershed.

With that said, I believe that Birmingham should begin looking at ways to position itself as a high speed rail - instead of an airport - hub. In 20 to 30 years, I think the U.S. would have made significant progress toward that direction. New technology and an a clogged road/air transportation network will make rail's emergence all but inevitable. Birmingham is strategically positioned in the Southeast and it would make sense to invest heavily in this area's potential as a rail hub.

And if you want to get really funky... Redevelop the old airport property into a massive man-made lake/reservoir flanked by smart-growth communities, mid-rise hotels, condo towers, golfing, and recreational amenities such as water boating and jet skiing. Atlantic Station meets Lake Martin.

My suggestions for a new international airport, which will eventually be needed, would be to place it in NW Jefferson County. There's a relatively huge swath of land near Flat Top Road, north of Adamsville, and adjacent to U.S. 78. The property sits perfectly at, what will be, the intersection of I-22 and the Northern Beltline. The area is oddly flat considering the mountainous terrain surrounding it and, from what I'm being told, is old mining land that is being reclaimed. The site is also outside of the Turkey Creek/Five Mile watershed.

With that said, I believe that Birmingham should begin looking at ways to position itself as a high speed rail - instead of an airport - hub. In 20 to 30 years, I think the U.S. would have made significant progress toward that direction. New technology and an a clogged road/air transportation network will make rail's emergence all but inevitable. Birmingham is strategically positioned in the Southeast and it would make sense to invest heavily in this area's potential as a rail hub.

And if you want to get really funky... Redevelop the old airport property into a massive man-made lake/reservoir flanked by smart-growth communities, mid-rise hotels, condo towers, golfing, and recreational amenities such as water boating and jet skiing. Atlantic Station meets Lake Martin.

Anyone? That should be a good answer. Yes, this is a highly unlikely situation. But, one that chould happen. Airport hubs have thousands of people flowing through them every day. I'm surprised that other airports don't think about things like this. Tell me? Given the current situation that our country is in, and how many people on the earth that don't like us, is this not something we should worrying about?

And Mempho, I totally agree. But, Atlanta is really the only airport in the 4 state area (Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi) that has an enormous amount of flights. I'm talking about passengers of course, not freight. So, I know there definitely is not a demand for it. But, in the future, if the growth in the Huntsville-Decatur area continues to grow, their could be a large need for added flights. But, probably not hub status.

And what makes you think that other airports don't think about potential attacks? The who barely matters, the how is where the concern lies. I'm pretty sure the most likely attack vectors on commercial aircraft are consistent regardless of the airport and I think whatever you have in mind as being deterred by something near HSV is one of the least likely.

Huh? I didn't say you said other airports could not be attacked. You said:

and

You were promoting a supposed advantage of HSV regarding potential attacks and claiming other airports didn't think about those threats. I'm saying that there nothing special in Huntsville that will ward off the most likely attacks on commercial airports and aircraft.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You're right, I apologize, I missread what you said. I'm simply saying that all of the air missle defense programs based in Huntsville would make potential attackers think twice. I live just over 20 miles from all of this activity, and I visit Huntsville very frequently. So, I would beg to differ that there is something special in Huntsville that would do more to protect from air strike than say in Jackson, MS or Charleston, SC for example. Either way, it was just my opinion, is it really worth arguing over? Especially in a thread that is not about Huntsville.

If we still want to debate the safety of Huntsville International, I more than welcome you to do so in the Huntsville-Decatur forum. Because this is actually a very interesting topic, just not one that belongs in this thread. I do realize that I am part of this problem considered I'm still talking about it on her. But, as I said, if you would still like to discuss it, let's transfer this conversation to the Huntsville-Decatur forum.

Isn't Huntsville International airport on some federal list of possible airports that can be a future potential hub? They have some very aggressive expansion plans for it in the huntsville long range development plan. But that being said most of the airports around here suck, Atlanta is the only big one. Even Nashville has pretty limited air traffic. I think the next closet hub from Atlanta would be Memphis.

Isn't Huntsville International airport on some federal list of possible airports that can be a future potential hub? They have some very aggressive expansion plans for it in the huntsville long range development plan. But that being said most of the airports around here suck, Atlanta is the only big one. Even Nashville has pretty limited air traffic. I think the next closet hub from Atlanta would be Memphis.

Archived