2008 Election Previews

So, it's been touched on in the regular part of the forum, and I imagine most people have some feelings or opinions on the potential candidates for the upcoming election.

So, who do you like, and why? And of course, no bashing on people's opinions or party views, and if I hear Bush used as justification for hating a party, I'm going to be unhappy.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, it's been touched on in the regular part of the forum, and I imagine most people have some feelings or opinions on the potential candidates for the upcoming election.

So, who do you like, and why? And of course, no bashing on people's opinions or party views, and if I hear Bush used as justification for hating a party, I'm going to be unhappy.

Thanks!

On the GOP side I like Ron Paul first, Huckabee second. The rest don't seem like conservatives at all to me. There are plenty of NEO-Conservatives like GWB, and we see where that has gotten us.

On the Demo side, I like Hillary the most, although if I wanted a Hillary, I'd just vote for Giuliani.

Interesting points so far. It's definitely a circus of an election, especially now that Stephen Colbert is actually participating in primaries for the added hilarity factor. Definitely the most interesting/unstable set up we've had going into the primaries in quite a while.

As for myself,

I'm a Ron Paul man. He's got some phenomenal ideas and stances that haven't been followed by the Republican party for a long time, and he's the only person running right now I truly like. I respect his views on most issues, and it's almost interesting to have a medical doctor running for president (it's a pay cut, haha). He has some economic views that are a little extreme upfront and probably couldn't be realized in full, but the way I see it, they'd never be fully approved by Congress/Senate anyway, so we'd end up with a compromise or at least initial reform of the things he's complaining about, and that'd be a step in the right direction. I don't really care for anyone else on the Republican side, but I won't vote for Huckabee for president, and he's the only other one on the side I don't dislike.

As far as Democrats, Obama is actually my favorite. Edwards is an okay guy too. My biggest concern is most of the Democrats' views on "universal" (no one likes to say socialized) healthcare. It'll screw our healthcare system up something worse than it already is. Under no circumstances will I vote for Hillary. My family history with the Clintons is more personal than many, And as someone who has been involved in the financial aftermath of some of their business dealings, I have a distaste for the Clintons on a personal level, Hillary particularly, and I don't think people that do business the way she does should be president.

it's interesting that two of you mentioned Ron Paul because I've seen a two Ron Paul signs around town lately. They looked homemade as if part of a grassroots campaign.

Although it's still early in the election season it seems that unless a candidate is in the top two or three they don't get the media attention or contributions necessary to be viable. If you look at the fund raising totals for the candidates the cash raised drops off drastically even among the top three Republicans. It seems that eveyone wants to back a winner no matter how good a candidate they are. I think the system worked better back when soundbites and cash didn't play as big a role (if that time ever really existed).

Ron Paul's fund raising certailny did pick up in the 3rd quarter though. He and Huckabee both have risen on the scene.

Campaign contributions to date

Yeah, I've seen the signs too. Ron Paul's campaign was definitely got it's major start/spark from grassroots style campaigning. I can understand this, mainly because he's the first candidate in a long time to come out and pretty much speak his mind, regardless of how it makes his own party look at the time. That's what's going to make it very difficult for him to come close to getting the nomination though... he's going to have a lot of special interest groups and long-time GOP policticians that don't want him in office.

Ron Paul did pick up strength in Q3 fundraising. If the grassroots group can pull off this Nov. 5th gimmick () to even a partial degree of what they'd hoped for, it'll be a good cash infusion for his campaign. Unfortunately, I don't think it's been publicized near enough to get that many suscribers.

Fundraising is definitely going to be a big deal going into the primaries. The only good thing for the Republicans is that the only one with a big cash lead is also the most criticized, so the inevitable questioning of character will be easier for those that feel that they're at a financial disadvantage. The Democratic primary is going to be a huge mess in that aspect. With that much money available, there's going to be incessant advertising from those two.

Interesting opinions everyone. Thanks for the topic, wizard. It's a wonder how anyone really gets elected because what are the primary influences on electors, anyways? I wish that magically, somehow, the wise people of the land can vote alone. It doesn't matter, we're stuck with parties that try to control the balance of power in the government and they've become pretty efficient franchises. We might as well have a monarchy and pray to God for their wisdom and guidance. With that being said, fortunately we have a diverse candidate pool this year, and the potential for many diverse views to affect the mainstream thought can occur.

It would be a shame to elect Hillary. All of those bubbling over a woman president need to check their motives for getting a woman president no matter who and what exactly that will achieve. However, at times she has been a good, cool candidate and at other times she has been questionably portrayed in the media as a frontrunner despite the quality of her character and answers in debates. I'm sure we'd survive ok with her, but what would it say about our political system that we can't help but elect people who've been to the Whitehouse before. In other words, do we want our last 4 presidents to be Bush -> Clinton -> Bush -> Clinton? Is Jeb in line afterwards? Then Chelsea? Anyways what was I saying about monarchy?

I don't really know the candidates too well. All of my opinions right now are very subjective and image-oriented, and I don't know if that will cease to be that way. Should I give in to voting along a party line? I liked Obama until I was in Chicago and the Indian restaurant I was going to was just happened to be reserved for Obama and his staff! D'oh! He snuck out the back door too while I had my video camera ready. Anyways, I got his protesters from the Indian district on film, and his gas guzzling staff of security and suburbans. I'm just kidding, though, I still like Obama.

Interesting opinions everyone. Thanks for the topic, wizard. It's a wonder how anyone really gets elected because what are the primary influences on electors, anyways? I wish that magically, somehow, the wise people of the land can vote alone. It doesn't matter, we're stuck with parties that try to control the balance of power in the government and they've become pretty efficient franchises. We might as well have a monarchy and pray to God for their wisdom and guidance. With that being said, fortunately we have a diverse candidate pool this year, and the potential for many diverse views to affect the mainstream thought can occur.

In California there's a politician that is trying to pass a law so that the electoral votes are by congressional district instead of the whole state going one way or the other. I think that would be much more representative compared to the way it is now. I read a defense of the Electoral College that made some sense but it kills me when a candidate wins the popular vote and loses the election. It really seems to defeat the whole democratic process.

The political parties system is another necessary part of the process that has flaws, but you are right, I don't see it going away. I guess all we can hope for is that the candidates are strong enough to express and stand by their beliefs.

Yeah, I don't really have any faith that there is any way to do the system differently to make it better or accurate. The electoral college has always been questionable. It's a safeguard I guess against mass-idiocy, although a state representative probably rarely has voted opposite of the constiuency's popular vote. Political parties are so efficient that they've polarized our nation right down the middle lately. At least, that is what I'm thinking these days.

With all of their figures and demographic positioning they've some how split our country up 50/50 by population, and looking at the last voting trends, The most urban areas and coastal areas (East & Northeast & West Coast basically) are "blue" colored while the heartland is all "red". It's amazing, you'd think a civil war would break out. Things are NOT really that plain and simple in our country but their goal was to make it that way it seems to me.

I was really hoping John Kerry would win last time, but it looks to me that he did a calculated move on behalf of the democrats to be close but not win. I don't think they saw any way to take over the Iraq problem.

I think you give Kerry a little too much credit. I highly doubt he would even have the ability to make a calculated move to lose the election. He lost primarily because the Democrats did not have a plan; they still really don't. If Hillary is elected (as I think she will) the most we can really count on is that we won't get in a another needless war with Iran. Count on being in Iraq for the long haul (ableit at reduced troop levels).

I think you give Kerry a little too much credit. I highly doubt he would even have the ability to make a calculated move to lose the election. He lost primarily because the Democrats did not have a plan; they still really don't. If Hillary is elected (as I think she will) the most we can really count on is that we won't get in a another needless war with Iran. Count on being in Iraq for the long haul (ableit at reduced troop levels).

The only thing Republicans are good at is stealing elections. Kerry would have easily won the election against Bush, but Bush guaranteed his win by starting a war with Iraq and making an easy solution or exit impossible. If Kerry didn't have an exit strategy then its no big deal because Bush didn't either; he still doesn't and neither does anyone in his party. Why should they care. The Rebublican party is banking on the fake war in Iraq to keep going on because they know a Democrat won't be elected during wartime. What America should be concerned about is if the Republicans do win this election will they stand by and allow another 9/11 to happen again just so they can start another fake war to keep them in office?

Its time to put an end to all the deadly lies coming from the Republicans in the White House and get some decent Americans in office. The Republicans have already proven to lack common decency and are willing to lie every time they open their mouth's. America has been in the dark for too long and won't make it another 8 years under Republican stupidity without suffering more death and destruction. The Democratic party has always brought America out of the darkness and returned pride to America by reducing the deficit, creating jobs and strengthening much needed alliances with other world powers. Bush has cast America into the darkest corner of the world for too long. Its time for America to remind the rest of the world of the meaning of American Pride. Its time for a Democrat to once again do that very thing.

Vote John Edwards for President 2008!!!

The only thing Republicans are good at is stealing elections. Kerry would have easily won the election against Bush, but Bush guaranteed his win by starting a war with Iraq and making an easy solution or exit impossible. If Kerry didn't have an exit strategy then its no big deal because Bush didn't either; he still doesn't and neither does anyone in his party. Why should they care. The Rebublican party is banking on the fake war in Iraq to keep going on because they know a Democrat won't be elected during wartime. What America should be concerned about is if the Republicans do win this election will they stand by and allow another 9/11 to happen again just so they can start another fake war to keep them in office?

Its time to put an end to all the deadly lies coming from the Republicans in the White House and get some decent Americans in office. The Republicans have already proven to lack common decency and are willing to lie every time they open their mouth's. America has been in the dark for too long and won't make it another 8 years under Republican stupidity without suffering more death and destruction. The Democratic party has always brought America out of the darkness and returned pride to America by reducing the deficit, creating jobs and strengthening much needed alliances with other world powers. Bush has cast America into the darkest corner of the world for too long. Its time for America to remind the rest of the world of the meaning of American Pride. Its time for a Democrat to once again do that very thing.

Vote John Edwards for President 2008!!!

Trust has little to do with it. This election is about choosing one party over another. If I have to choose one party over the other then my vote is with the party that has historically proven itself in the office of the President of the United States. Over the past hundred years I really can't find anything significant to complain about a Democratic White House, but some of those crazy Republicans really made a mockery of the office. The current president is one of those fruity cakes... I love all his YouTube comedy skits over the past 7 years. His daddy was pretty funny too with that "read my lips, no new taxes" crack. That turned out to be one of the biggest jokes in the history of the office... until his son took office that is.

If you want another fruity cake in the White House vote for Guliani or whoever in 2008.

If you're tired of fruity cakes making a mockery of the US then vote for John Edwards in 2008!!!

All I have to say about your comment is to remember Jimmie Carter or Lyndon Baines Johnson. Or what about the WWII presidents' Japanese American removal from the West coast? What about Clinton's crack " I did not have sex with that woman". There were very few good presidents of either party and when things get bad enough the people of the U.S. are smart enough to vote the other party in control of the Congress.

Personally I think neither party has the best intrests of the country in mind, but I WILL NOT vote, under ANY circumstances, for Hillary Clinton or any Democrats for that matter. Do you really want to vote in a party that supports conduct like this:

IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9693_2.JPG

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9953.JPG

This may look like US protests in some muslim country, but its not. These are liberal Democrats "protesting the war" in San Francisco. I am no fan of Bush or the war, but this is just over the top. They actually hate America and these pictures are proof. Are these really the people we want running this country? And don't think I am some right-wing neo-con either, I am very disgusted with the modern Republican party and how it has become a slave to the far religious right. It is becoming a party of theocracy and is no longer conservative in the true meaning of the word. If any of the candidates running today were fit, I would have to say it would be Ron Paul.

Oh neat, pictures of ordinary citizens protesting the war in Iraq. Where are the pictures of the senators, governors, mayors, or any other official representatives of the Democratic Party? Anyone could go out and find pictures of people claiming to be Republicans doing some pretty scary stuff like dressing up in white sheets and toting guns around or something equally disturbing. The people in these pictures do not represent the Democratic Party or its ideas and are nothing more than typical Republican smear tactics.

Overall I just have a hard time getting into politics, especially on a national level. Seems to me everyone's opinion is pretty well set. To me it seems both parties have problems and generally each side simply just blames the other. Overall I tend to lean more to the left. But I can't say any of the Democratic candidates are interesting me at this point. I don't think the pics of the protesters are a good example of the Democrats. As previously pointed out I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find pics of the extreme right that would also be disturbing. But that also wouldn't be a good representation of the Republicans either.

Archived