London, Buenos Aires, Pittsburgh

TheGerbil

http://nymag.com/travel/2007/winter/39306/

New York magazine put together this list of "ideas for culture hunters" and Pittsburgh is on the list. Considering this is a short list and mostly includes foreign cities, I'd say this is an honor. Pittsburgh was included for its jazz scene, which is apparently still kicking. I knew we still had a jazz scene here, but I didn't realize it was of this calibre. (Not being into jazz myself).

Anyway, just thought you all might like to see this.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh has at least a small place in jazz heritage in the 20th century. But yes it isn't that commercially viable which is unfortunate. It's too bad that a club downtown couldn't make it. I have to wonder if the Balcony in Shadyside would still be around (it got forced out for a higher paying tenant in Pottary Barn I believe).

Pittsburgh has at least a small place in jazz heritage in the 20th century. But yes it isn't that commercially viable which is unfortunate. It's too bad that a club downtown couldn't make it. I have to wonder if the Balcony in Shadyside would still be around (it got forced out for a higher paying tenant in Pottary Barn I believe).

You can leave from an international gate without it being an international flight. Its the arrival into the customs level that counts. So it was just a coincidence that the transcon flight left from that gate and you happened to be continuing on over seas.

A little off-topic (but not really). I just flew non-stop from Cancun back to Pittsburgh this past Saturday afternoon. If you think the emptiness of the regular concourses of PIT are depressing, you should see what has happened to the customs and immigration level below C. I am talking abandoned machinery strewn everywhere, flat screens pulled out of the walls with wires hanging, baggage claims that haven't been used, empty check-in gates, wrong signs.......and they let it stay in this condition while funneling people through! It was one of the biggest customs stations I've been through, but they only had two lines open. We actually got in early....I was the first person to get to the international security screening point and I surprised them. They jumped up from a card table and were like "Look. People!" "The flight's early!". They had me wait five minutes while they turned on the X-ray machines and metal detectors. Really really sad. Talk about a ghost town. :( You seriously had to maneuver around old US Airways crap all over the place. It was like walking through someone's basement.

This was many years ago, so my memory's fuzzy. There may not be an "international" terminal per se but it wasn't one of the normal terminals either. Or at least it was a special section of the terminal. Pretty sure I remember a small bank there for exchanging currency.

Well does this mean there are direct flights from some of PA's smaller cities that go out of the country? I'm pretty sure we have about 7 international airports in this state.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived