Why is nothing being developed to draw more suburbanites to downtown?

GRDadof3

Maybe someone needs to ask people in the suburbs what would get them to drive in more often. With two kids in the family, aside from special occasions, we'll drive more than a few miles to the following locations: Millenium Park, Zoo, Children's Museum

Occasionally, I go to visitgrandrapids.org, Event Calendar Search to see what's going on during the weekend. I filter on Children's events and Downtown only. More frequently than not, almost all the results are for the Children's Museum. Click on Touring, Fun for Kids link.. other than the children's museum and zoo, I see a mention of Jersey Junction. Maybe I'll check that out next summer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but there's no way NorthEnder. I always find a spot within 5 minutes of beginning my search (and I won't pay $6). And if you're willing to spend $6, why are you spending 20 minutes to look? I'm confused.

Maybe if you told us where you're normally headed, what time, and where you start your search, we can possibly help. :huh:

2 things that will draw suburbanites downtown:

A Cinema

Kick ass stores, like what you would have in a mall. There doesnt even have to be that many stores at first. A big department store would be the best. It would be a major catalyst. I mean, what business wouldnt want to get extra foot traffic from being next to a Macy's?

2 things that will draw suburbanites downtown:

A Cinema

Kick ass stores, like what you would have in a mall. There doesnt even have to be that many stores at first. A big department store would be the best. It would be a major catalyst. I mean, what business wouldnt want to get extra foot traffic from being next to a Macy's?

How about like a really upscale department store? IDK. If it was a really big store, more people would come. The same reason that people go to chicago to shop when they have many of the same stores that you can find in a local mall. Bigger, better selection, more to do after shopping.

To hop back on the parking band wagon, there is a great rule in marketing/advertise:

If it is perceived to be, it is.

What I mean is that if people think there is a parking problem, there is a parking problem. Even if there are hundreds of spaces readily available *RIGHT* next to someone's destination of choice, if they think parking is issue, the free spaces are moot.

It can be said also for respondents that say their is nothing to do. If they believe it, it's true. So the real question (and one that I think is ridiculously easy to solve) is, how do you change perception? Quickly, education and good old fashion PR would do the trick.

I bet if you asked the average person how many parking lots/ramps are on Monroe Center they'd say zero. Education could be as simple as putting a parking sign up to let people know it exists. If I don't see it, it doesn't exist. ;)

IDEA: put up a parking sign that becomes part of the fabric of the city. A big 'ole neon parking sign w/ light bulbs (like the BOB). Make it look like something you would have seen on "Dimestore Row" back in the day. Add red neon at the top that can be turned on or off that states "60 Minutes FREE". Make sure it gets in every brochure for downtown. Change the perception.

Or, sit on your thumbs. That seems to be the path of least resistance (and the preferred choice).

Joe

To hop back on the parking band wagon, there is a great rule in marketing/advertise:

If it is perceived to be, it is.

What I mean is that if people think there is a parking problem, there is a parking problem. Even if there are hundreds of spaces readily available *RIGHT* next to someone's destination of choice, if they think parking is issue, the free spaces are moot.

It can be said also for respondents that say their is nothing to do. If they believe it, it's true. So the real question (and one that I think is ridiculously easy to solve) is, how do you change perception? Quickly, education and good old fashion PR would do the trick.

I bet if you asked the average person how many parking lots/ramps are on Monroe Center they'd say zero. Education could be as simple as putting a parking sign up to let people know it exists. If I don't see it, it doesn't exist. ;)

IDEA: put up a parking sign that becomes part of the fabric of the city. A big 'ole neon parking sign w/ light bulbs (like the BOB). Make it look like something you would have seen on "Dimestore Row" back in the day. Add red neon at the top that can be turned on or off that states "60 Minutes FREE". Make sure it gets in every brochure for downtown. Change the perception.

Or, sit on your thumbs. That seems to be the path of least resistance (and the preferred choice).

Joe

Thats the first step, changing perception and not the sitting on the thumb :blink: . What are the parking requirements for new building downtown? People could go underground with parking and have a nice building above. I know it is expensive, but if it makes you dough then it is worth the cost.

DT has no parking reqs in most zoning districts. (I'm not sure of the adoption time on the new ordinance.)

When we were discussing the building at Division and Fountain (same block as FSC and the Fitz) I looked it up. No minimum number of spaces, no bike racks, nada. Zip. Zero.

I can't imagine a downtown movie theater would be that big of a draw for suburbanites, given the abundance of suburban theaters. I'd love one for my own convenience.

Unique events and retail are the only things that will draw people from their familiar settings. More events at the Van Andel, more high profile conventions at DeVos, and shopping options unique to downtown.

Me, I'd like a MUJI, but I'm a dreamer.

I can't imagine a downtown movie theater would be that big of a draw for suburbanites, given the abundance of suburban theaters. I'd love one for my own convenience.

Unique events and retail are the only things that will draw people from their familiar settings. More events at the Van Andel, more high profile conventions at DeVos, and shopping options unique to downtown.

Me, I'd like a MUJI, but I'm a dreamer.

Brainstorming...

Cultural Institutions - Downtown seems pretty set on this one; the brand new GRAM, fairly new Van Andel Public Museum, G. R. Ford Museum, and fully refurbished Library. Maybe you could build field-specific (science, history...) museums, but that seems unlikely.

Sports - The football and hockey teams seem fairly stable at Van Andel, maybe they could draw a few more people, but not much room for improvement. It would be nice to see the baseball stadium moved from Comstock Park to a more central location, though that seems unlikely given the continued modifications to the current stadium, and the huge plot of land necessary for a new stadium. It's too bad they can't do this though, baseball schedules have twice as many home dates as hockey and ten times as many as football. Maybe give a basketball team another shot?

Entertainment - The Civic facelift was nice. Where's that new ballet theater going again? I don't have any figures, but it seems like there could be more popular music concerts (boy do people around here love country music). A marina gets mentioned quite often, as does a movie theater.

Retail (of course) - Not to be redundant, but this seems like the gaping black hole...Schuler's will be nice, and then there's... The restaurants are pretty good.

Population Density - I don't know if this is a specific to West Michigan problem, but it really seems like people love a crowd. The herd mentality is strong with us. The new residential construction should help with this.

Those are some of the things I've thought of. It's important to keep in mind which are primary to drawing people to downtown, and which support them by keeping people there.

...why do people go to Chicago? Lets ponder...

-An abundance of high quality museums with historic significance, beautiful architecture, with beautiful park settings

-Shopping on the Magnificent Mile with just about every store and restaurant you could ask for

-Entertainment, whether it be shows, concerts, or sporting events

-Landmarks....lots of 'em

Exactly...parking in Chicago is expensive, cramped, and often done in garages. A few years back a couple buddies and I went there for the day during spring break. To save on paying an exorbant amount and the general frustration of finding a lot that wasn't full we simply decided to park out at the lot in front of Adler Planetarium....

Archived