Macon Off-Topic

dougtha1

Originally Posted by Yerocal in Welcome Topic

Oprah Coming to Macon

Within a month, the Oprah Show will kick off a series of visits to hometowns across America, according to a producer -- and Macon has been chosen as the first stop.You can go to Oprah.com/macon to tell them why you'd like to be in the studio audience for this special taping in Macon.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am curious about something. I've noticed recently that there has been numerous store openings in Macon...as I'm sure there are in almost every city above 10,000 in Georgia. Are there any new actual developments going on in Macon? A city of Macon's size will definitely have some type of construction or urban development. The downtown area of Macon is just ripe for intown living. What is the development climate like in the greater Macon area?

I have seen a few substantial developments in Augusta and some in the Columbus metro. I see countless retail and restaurant openings posted but no real development. I'm sure there are some municipal improvements going on as well in Macon. Are there any new updates in the public transportation authority in greater Macon? I'm sure with the increase in gas prices, ridership has to be up. What happened to the I-75/I-16 interchange realignment?

For those of us who do not live in the greater Macon area, it would be nice to see some things that are unique to the Macon area. Augusta is getting a new riverfront stadium in their downtown area. That should jump start a bunch of development in their urban environment. Columbus has been retrofitting their downtown area with urban housing options. This should make their urban experience that much better. Even Cartersville is getting a new museum. :P

I'm just inquiring because while store openings and new restaurants are nice, I would like to know what is going on to make Macon's urban experience improved.

I am curious about something. I've noticed recently that there has been numerous store openings in Macon...as I'm sure there are in almost every city above 10,000 in Georgia. Are there any new actual developments going on in Macon? A city of Macon's size will definitely have some type of construction or urban development. The downtown area of Macon is just ripe for intown living. What is the development climate like in the greater Macon area?

I have seen a few substantial developments in Augusta and some in the Columbus metro. I see countless retail and restaurant openings posted but no real development. I'm sure there are some municipal improvements going on as well in Macon. Are there any new updates in the public transportation authority in greater Macon? I'm sure with the increase in gas prices, ridership has to be up. What happened to the I-75/I-16 interchange realignment?

For those of us who do not live in the greater Macon area, it would be nice to see some things that are unique to the Macon area. Augusta is getting a new riverfront stadium in their downtown area. That should jump start a bunch of development in their urban environment. Columbus has been retrofitting their downtown area with urban housing options. This should make their urban experience that much better. Even Cartersville is getting a new museum. :P

I'm just inquiring because while store openings and new restaurants are nice, I would like to know what is going on to make Macon's urban experience improved.

Edited by george

Thank you for answering George. Those developments sound exciting.

I find Macon quite interesting. With the right push, I can see it exploding. It's right off one of the most travelled interstates to one of the most visited states in the country. The convention center will be a definite plus. Marriott offers good quality and I know it will be an added benefit to downtown lodging.

Now, as far as downtown apartments staying 97% full, that I did not know. It sounds like the downtown district is ripe for some midrise apartments with some ground level retail. I wished I could jump start that myself. With so many young people renting these days, I'm sure it would be a hit. That is something for me to think about. Start small with something like 100-200 units and let the momentum get the ball rolling. I'm sure there are some downtown buildings just waiting for a refitting to residential.

Sounds exciting George. Can you please keep us updated on any new developments regards the ones mentioned in your response and any new developments down the pike. Thanks hun.

Newtown Macon had a study done and the study came back with downtown Macon needs to add 1000 new residentual units the next five years just to meet market demand,that helped get the ball rolling on a lot of projects.there about 500 units under development/construction now.the other thing the study found which suprised everone was that there are 45,000 people working in a 3 mile radius of downtown.

I will try to adress your questions,Capicorn centre is propably the most unique development downtown it will include the adaptive resue of a four story building into a 85 room hotel,restore the Capicorn Records into a recording studio and restaurant,build a mixed-use five story building with about 200+loft condos on the upper floors with commercial space on the ground floor and 30 townhomes.A new convention center Marriott is under construction downtown.there are about 100 loft conversions under construction and 43 ground up construction lofts downtown.there is one old building being converted to lofts,but they are adding a fourth floor with upscale condos.riverwalk kepts growing and is one of the big draws downtown.What I find interesting is downtown apts. stay about 97% full. a I.T.company has bought the old Park hotel and turning it into a office with a art gallery on the first floor.hope this is what you where looking for.from about march to nov. there is city market on the green on sat.mornings,wich helps bring people downtown on which usally empty on weekend days.

• 2 months later...