Park West Village

cophead567

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Google map shows the TTA rail line's tracks on the south boundary of this project, and Preston on the other side of the tracks.

Why aren't they trying to get a station as part of the project? Is it too close to a potential Morrisville station, or do they not see the benefit of transit oriented design and attracting rail riders to their complex? Insteady they have planned a moat of retaining ponds and surface parking lots, with what I'm guessing is the residential part of the "mixed use" in the SW corner, instead of stacked on the retail.

This project could be a good test of the new mayor and council. Will they stop unneded growth, or allow this if it is "Cary friendly" -- i.e. one to two story, plenty of parking, and nothing open after 9 or 10.

EDIT - the website says there will be a movie theater as part of the development, yet there is a movie theater in the shopping center across Cary Parkway. I haven't been out there in a while, but is that theater busy enough to warrant another theater, or do they think Consolidated Theaters wants in on the existing Carmike Cinema's turf.

Ideally situated at the heart of one of the most desirable locations in the county, Park West Village will include a town center, a community center with sought-after major retail anchors, upscale casual restaurants and a movie theater, all of which will be mixed with residential, office and hospitality.

It looks like they have a lot of retail buildings set on internal "streets", with on-"street" parking and a nice approach to the movie theater. That could be cool. But of course you don't have to look hard to find the seas of asphalt, generic big boxes, and poor mixing of uses.

It is funny that Cary Parkway goes through Morrisville *and* there is a Morrisville Parkway about a mile away.

It looks like the a Super Wal-Mart/Super Target pad in the upper left corner of the image posted on here, and the movie theater in the lower middle close to the train tracks. The row of stores approach to the theater is kinda nice, like North Hills' theater minus the Starbucks/Ben and Jerry's. Better than Brier Creek's pseudo "street blocks" with confusing traffic patterns and no residential units or offices to generate pedestrians. And it is tied in better than the "street" near the Super Wal Mart in Alexander Place, across 70 from Brier Creek.

The nearest big boxes are in Brier Creek and Crossroads... Is that not close enough?

The website said they are attracting "upscale casual restaurants" -- i.e. Panera and the non-stop "Welcome to Moe's" chant.

Oh...I just realized this fills almost the entire gap between Morrisville Pkwy and Cary Pkwy. I wonder if there are plans for the undeveloped parcel to the left of the big box pad where the road stubs out and how interested the Morrisville Counciil is in making the two parcels work together...did Morrisville have elections this month too?

I guess I'll weigh in... it looks like a *slight* improvement over Brier Creek, but that doesn't say much... looks like they very much avoided constructing any parking decks, a la Southpoint (which I hate for that reason). Some of the stores near the entrance might be walkable, but not the rest of it.

This looks like Brier Creek - to a T. All the retail will probably be separated from the streets by nice big berms, just like BC as well. The only difference is, Brier Creek has plenty of wide thoroughfares and highways nearby to handle the traffic pretty smoothly. This one only has Cary Parkway and NC54. Cary Parkway is a crowded 4 lanes at rush hour. NC54 is only two lanes (a couple of developer-constructed segments are 4 lanes but it's spotty) and is bumper-to-bumper every day at rush hour. NCDOT does not plan to widen it for years and years to come. Even if you widened NC54 to 4 lanes end to end, I have a hunch that it still wouldn't accomodate all the traffic this "power center" would generate.

In addition, this development inexcusably eschews any connection to Morrisville Parkway. And (correct me if I'm wrong here) this is pretty much right down the street from the TTA's formerly planned West Cary station, isn't it?

Not to mention the sizeable shopping center and movie theater already right across the street from here. Can you say "oversaturation"? Must every signalized intersection in Cary be the proud home of more than one big box farm?

Also note, this development lies right on the inside of one of the the sharpest curves on the NCRR between (I think) Hillsborough and Goldsboro - a significant barrier to making the High Speed Rail line actually High Speed. And the way you straighten a curve is to cut inside it...

Sorry, A development like this, in a location like this, is just irreconcilably BAD.

That article says the project is 95 acres. It could be a good project if they do one simple thing- build the same damn amount of stuff on 55 acres instead!!! Then you're talking decent quality that isn't exactly like every other suburban desert project that has been proposed all across the US.

Morrisville should really not aspire to be a carbon copy of Cary- sprawl hell. Projects like this will solidify that cloning.

George Carlin's thoughts. Go to 4:15. Plenty of swearing if that sort of thing bothers you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXiRZwf48U

• 2 months later...

FYI, this project got approved. The approved site plan shows a connection to Morrisville Parkway, and is slightly different from the one above.

park_west_village.jpg

I'd like to see them at least extend Weston through that apartment complex to Morrisville Parkway, across from the entrance to this development. The lack of a direct connection from Weston Parkway to Morrisville Parkway is one of the many maddening connectivity issues in RTP.

• 1 year later...

Archived