Livingston Eyed for Entertainment

dan326

:w00t::w00t:

This could turn Livingston and Baton Rouge into something big:

"Livingston Parish officials say they continue to be approached by theme park companies and others who are interested in building a large family attraction off of Interstate 12. The parish has commissioned a feasibility study to look into the likelihood of building a 1,500-acre to 2,000-acre attraction, says Paco Swain, president of the Livingston Board of Realtors and a member of the parish's economic development council. The plan is to have the study completed by around the end of the year; at the same time the parish will approach several large landowners to gauge their interest in selling property for a theme park. "There's a tremendous void between Houston and Orlando for family entertainment," Swain says. "The timing is right for us to go after this." There have been rumors about world-renowned theme park and entertainment operators looking at Livingston for everything from a water park to a baseball complex. Recent published reports about the feasibility study led to Swain getting calls at his home on a Sunday from potential tenants, he says. Eric Edwards, the parish's director of tourism, says Livingston is poised for a big development because of available land and growth along the Interstate 10-Interstate 12 corridor. But parish leaders want to be cautious, Edwards says, because of the recent situation involving the Louisiana International Speedway in Tangipahoa Parish. That project was proudly announced by economic development officials, but fell apart after it was revealed the developer had a spotty background, including a fraud conviction."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The I-10/I-12 corridor is HOT!!! No telling what the future holds?? I have always loved the location in the Deep South; but still far enough inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Also perfectly located between Houston and the Emerald Coast of Florida/Gulf Shores AL! I like the convieniance of driving a few hours in each direction :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

This was in yesterday's "Ask the Advocate" :thumbsup: Someone asked....

Q: I heard that Disney bought 2,000 acres in Satsuma. Is that true? And, if so, do you know what they are doing with the land?

The Livingston Economic Development Council commissioned a study, due soon, to help determine which economic sectors offer the best potential for growth in the parish.

G.L.

This was in yesterday's "Ask the Advocate" :thumbsup: Someone asked....

Q: I heard that Disney bought 2,000 acres in Satsuma. Is that true? And, if so, do you know what they are doing with the land?

The Livingston Economic Development Council commissioned a study, due soon, to help determine which economic sectors offer the best potential for growth in the parish.

G.L. "Paco" Swain, an Economic Development Council member and president of the Livingston Board of Realtors, has been pursuing as part of that study support for the creation of a large-scale entertainment district. Swain said he represents a group of private investors trying to secure options on roughly 2,000 acres that would be needed for the district or to try to lure a "theme park" operator to the parish.

Rumors at the time, and obviously continuing to circulate, centered on two unconfirmed names: Disney and Schlitterbahn Waterparks.

This is tremendous. I hope it is disney, wow could you imagine. I don't mind a water park, but i would like to see blue bayour remain viable. They have done great over the years bringing us themesd intertainment when there was none over the years, i wouldn't want to see them ran out the market. But with a major theme park in the Baton rouge area, this will be just wonderful hope its true and that it happens

Were did you here that?

That's neat!! But they build a Disneyland in our suburb and call it New Orleans??? :huh:<_<

I went snooping around the disney board and found some intersting post from nearby residents.....

There are always rumors about Disney purchasing land in places even in Texas. I cannot disclose how I know (I have connections) but a minor league baseball team and Disney have purchased land in Livingston Parish.

You more than likely will not hear much about it right now because it still needs to be a secret to keep land prices from going sky high.

Also when the land in Orlando was purchased, Walt Disney himself purchased the land and it was a big secret as well.

Parish President Mike Grimmer said at his inauguration that something is coming that will shock the south... so we will see soon.

Anything this area gets that's not dirty industrial and takes up 2,000 acres is awesome. If it's disney we will become a regional destination, if not a national destination! Disney would be the best case for us, but another theme park owned by a major studio would be pretty awesome too!

Definetly will be interesting to watch this possibly huge development unfold in the coming months!

No doubt the I-12 Corridor is HOT!!! a.k.a. West Florida Republic Parkway. IF a theme park/resort is built; it could pull a "Wow" factor for big developments like Summa Crossing, Juban Crossing, and La Vie in EBR. With I-12 connecting the villages. And Bass Pro set to open very soon!

I'm glad Blank-o is finally gone; but I do appreciate her getting my Wife, who is a school teacher a nice pay-raise.

• 1 month later...

This report from Livingston Parish News is about the Loop, but if you look at a commit from Mike Grimmer:

"Grimmer said Monday there is truth to the rumor that Disney is seriously considering a theme park in Livingston Parish, but cautioned that no decisions have been made yet."

www.livingstonparishnews.com/articles/2008/03/20/full_edition/news/01loop.txt :yahoo:

Archived