1035 Wealthy SE

StrayDogCafe&Newsstand

Hello, everyone!

A friendly neighbor recommended I post a note up here about our new coffee shop/newsstand that will be opening on Wealthy St. in November. We are still under construction at the moment, but we are hoping to open on Friday evening, November 16th with an art opening for local artist, Aneka Vanderhill. Following the show, our hours will be M-Sat, 7am-12am, and Sun, 9am-12am. We are located on the north side of Wealthy, between the Wealthy Theatre and The Meanwhile.

So, a bit about us:

-We are a newsstand as well as a full-service cafe. This means we will carry over 100 magazine titles and numerous newspapers (including the NYT, The Wall Street Journal, Invester's Business Daily, etc). If you have any magazines or newspapers you would like to see on hand, kindly let us know. We would love your suggestions.

-We will carry somewhere between 20-25 different loose leaf teas, all of which are from Michigan companies, and most of which are fair trade and organic. We will also serve Bubble Tea, which as far as I know, will be relatively new to Grand Rapids (please correct me if I am wrong).

-We will serve Schuil coffee, which is a local importer and roaster, and we have specifically selected many of their fair trade and organic blends.

-We are a completely non-smoking environment.

-Following Aneka Vanderhill's show, she will be curating the artwork that will hang in our shop. Please send pics of your work to [email protected] if you would like us to hang it up.

-We will have table service as well as the standard service counter. You shouldn't be inturrupted to get up for a refill while you read your paper.

-We will, of course, have free wireless internet.

I think that's everything. We have high hopes of getting a beer/wine license in the near future so you can enjoy a glass of wine while reading.

We hope to see you all soon, and feel free to stop in before we open. There's almost always someone here.

Thanks!

The Stray Dog Cafe & Newsstand

Jason Brown

Mike Knorr

Lori Knorr

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, everyone!

A friendly neighbor recommended I post a note up here about our new coffee shop/newsstand that will be opening on Wealthy St. in November. We are still under construction at the moment, but we are hoping to open on Friday evening, November 16th with an art opening for local artist, Aneka Vanderhill. Following the show, our hours will be M-Sat, 7am-12am, and Sun, 9am-12am. We are located on the north side of Wealthy, between the Wealthy Theatre and The Meanwhile.

So, a bit about us:

-We are a newsstand as well as a full-service cafe. This means we will carry over 100 magazine titles and numerous newspapers (including the NYT, The Wall Street Journal, Invester's Business Daily, etc). If you have any magazines or newspapers you would like to see on hand, kindly let us know. We would love your suggestions.

-We will carry somewhere between 20-25 different loose leaf teas, all of which are from Michigan companies, and most of which are fair trade and organic. We will also serve Bubble Tea, which as far as I know, will be relatively new to Grand Rapids (please correct me if I am wrong).

-We will serve Schuil coffee, which is a local importer and roaster, and we have specifically selected many of their fair trade and organic blends.

-We are a completely non-smoking environment.

-Following Aneka Vanderhill's show, she will be curating the artwork that will hang in our shop. Please send pics of your work to [email protected] if you would like us to hang it up.

-We will have table service as well as the standard service counter. You shouldn't be inturrupted to get up for a refill while you read your paper.

-We will, of course, have free wireless internet.

I think that's everything. We have high hopes of getting a beer/wine license in the near future so you can enjoy a glass of wine while reading.

We hope to see you all soon, and feel free to stop in before we open. There's almost always someone here.

Thanks!

The Stray Dog Cafe & Newsstand

Jason Brown

Mike Knorr

Lori Knorr

Will you carry the Chicago Sun Times? I have looked for this but was told they don't come any further north than Holland.

Also, I am interested in knowing if you will have any food with the coffee? Muffins, scones, bagels????

Sounds like a great place and am wishing you well!!!!

Hello, everyone!

A friendly neighbor recommended I post a note up here about our new coffee shop/newsstand that will be opening on Wealthy St. in November. We are still under construction at the moment, but we are hoping to open on Friday evening, November 16th with an art opening for local artist, Aneka Vanderhill. Following the show, our hours will be M-Sat, 7am-12am, and Sun, 9am-12am.

Aneka does beautiful work. I'm a fan. Looking forward to stopping by.

Thanks for the feedback on newspapers and magazines, keep it rolling, it will help us tremendously. As for food, we are working that out, we need to connect with a good local bakery, but generally speaking, yes we will have such things.

Also thaks so much for all the responses! As a UP user you may not realize how far a little moral support really goes when it comes to our weary bones. I'll be thinking of you all late at night while sanding drywall. Cheers!

-mike

bubble tea (or Boba tea, as the nomenclature has it) is a black or green tea served chilled. there are a variety of flavors, fruity and otherwise, that are mixed into the brew when it is served. but the bubble in bubble tea i believe stems from the Boba (Bubbles?) which are put into the bottom of the glass... these are a large tapioca pearls (about the size of a small blueberry) that are soaked in a sweet and sugary solution that we make. The entire concoction is then sipped through a straw with the diameter of a Roosevelt dime.

we didn't create this zany beverage, though were we to invent a drink from our own imaginations, it would likely be nearly as strange. I myself had never tried this prior to our intitial shipment, but everyone who is familiar with the stuff seems quite excited about our having it.

i will say that the tapioca pearls take some getting used to, but i was raised to believe that you didn't want things to come through the straw as you were drinking, so it's more the surprise of squishy, sweetened nuggets comin' at ya than anything else.

-Jason

At the risk of sounding like an uncultured rube, what exactly is bubble tea?

Sincerely,

Coffee Drinker

Archived