1035 Wealthy SE

StrayDogCafe&Newsstand

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah... shows what i know. ask me about vodka... that's one where i have had the cross cultural training to speak coherently. though i wouldn't drink the stuff if the antidote were in there.

Actually "Bubble tea" is also known as "pearl tea" and it was first made in Taiwan, where my family's from originally. It is also commonly thought of to be called bubble tea because of the tapioca pearls (we don't even use the word bubbles in English when referring to them--at the least the Taiwanese cafe in the US that I went to didn't) in the bottom of the cup but it's called bubble tea because of bubbles found at the top of the drink. I think the Taiwanese name makes more sense "pearl tea" so that everyone knows the pearls are the pearls at the bottom.

"The 'bubble' refers to the foam created by shaking the freshly brewed tea with ice (the drink must always be shaken and not stirred)."

That is from http://whatscookingamerica.net/BubbleTea.htm and other sources.

I call it zhen zhu nai tsa which if you ever run into me, I'll pronounce it for you; it doesn't look like how it's spelled at all. And that Chinese there means pearl milk tea. But the tapioca pearls can be found in any kind of drink such as mango juice which I love but don't ask me to put pearls in my milk tea or mango juice, I won't do it.

But everyone should try it at least once. And I have many friends who have never had it in their lives and love it. I mean it was "invented" around the same time and I've just never gotten used to it. So it's a matter of personal preference, but do try iced milk tea. It's good!

Jason, I hope you don't call the chai at your place "chai tea" because then that's redundant. I'd settle for masala chai or chai latte but "chai tea" bothers my ears like fingernails on a chalkboard.

bubble tea (or Boba tea, as the nomenclature has it) is a black or green tea served chilled. there are a variety of flavors, fruity and otherwise, that are mixed into the brew when it is served. but the bubble in bubble tea i believe stems from the Boba (Bubbles?) which are put into the bottom of the glass... these are a large tapioca pearls (about the size of a small blueberry) that are soaked in a sweet and sugary solution that we make. The entire concoction is then sipped through a straw with the diameter of a Roosevelt dime.

we didn't create this zany beverage, though were we to invent a drink from our own imaginations, it would likely be nearly as strange. I myself had never tried this prior to our intitial shipment, but everyone who is familiar with the stuff seems quite excited about our having it.

i will say that the tapioca pearls take some getting used to, but i was raised to believe that you didn't want things to come through the straw as you were drinking, so it's more the surprise of squishy, sweetened nuggets comin' at ya than anything else.

-Jason

My family went to their opening last night. They be do'in it! This place is awesome with great decor and a good cozy feel. I can't wait until they bring in the mags. I can see a lot of people grabbing their morning cup of joe (or their signature drink, the Behemoth) and a paper as they head into work.

Great job Stray Dog!

Now reporting from the scene over a "Shot in the Dark", I can confirm that this is indeed a neat place. Good atmosphere, good music (not too loud, not too quiet) and good coffee. Cosy! Crowd seems young (looks to be only one person older than me here) but that's probably no bad thing...as long as they have money to spend, right? :)

Hello,

We at The Stray Dog would like to thank all of you for your support. The response we've gotten has been amazing! I would go on, but I'm writing this mostly to let everyone know that jason posted a list on our blog of the magazines and newspapers that we will be carrying. So, I will let him do the talking. Check it out at:

http://straydogcafe.blogspot.com

Thanks!

The Stray Dog Cafe & Newsstand

Archived