Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grock

Hartford & Cobblestone Streets

8 posts in this topic

Hartford is lacking something that Providence, Portland, ME, Boston, Newport, even New York has: cobblestone streets. This is a city that is nearly 400 years old, and was bustling during colonial times. It really would make sense to have at least one cobblestone street. Maybe Pratt? Temple? Something at Front Street? Under the Arch at Bushnell Park?

Hartford is lacking something that Providence, Portland, ME, Boston, Newport, even New York has: cobblestone streets. This is a city that is nearly 400 years old, and was bustling during colonial times. It really would make sense to have at least one cobblestone street. Maybe Pratt? Temple? Something at Front Street? Under the Arch at Bushnell Park?

Cobblestones were used for ballast in ships that were coming from the old world to the new world to pick up goods. I suspect that New York, Boston, Nantucket and ports more proximate to the ocean ended up with more cobbles.

Cobblestones were used for ballast in ships that were coming from the old world to the new world to pick up goods. I suspect that New York, Boston, Nantucket and ports more proximate to the ocean ended up with more cobbles.

I think Haynes Street would make a nice cobblestone street, especially if it was extended to Jewel Street (Bushnell Park).

Someone told me that the street approaching the Bulkeley Bridge from Main Street was cobblestone.

I think Haynes Street would make a nice cobblestone street, especially if it was extended to Jewel Street (Bushnell Park).

Someone told me that the street approaching the Bulkeley Bridge from Main Street was cobblestone.

Given its architecture, Lewis Street would have been a good candidate. Unfortunately, the city just repaved the road with asphalt.

The way developments progress in Hartford, I doubt we would ever see cobblestone streets.