Walton Arts Center Location

Mith242

Where do you think the WAC should be located?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the WAC should be located?

• Same location, just expand as much as possible.
    • Different location, but still on/near Dickson St
    • Another location somewhere in Fayetteville
    • Somewhere else in NWA outside of Fayetteville

Here's the link where Walton Arts Center's future was discussed with the city council. It sounds like the decision hasn't been made yet but the WAC board needs something from the city to convince it to expand in Fayetteville. It's encouraging to read that the city council is in agreement that whatever it takes to keep it in Fayetteville needs to be done. That is exactly the sentiment that needs to be expresssed and acted upon as WAC is too important to the Dickson Street area in particular and Fayetteville in general to let slip away.

I was surprised parking didn't come up (or at least it wasn't reported that it did). I imagine building a deck is a major concern of the WAC board. It's been a long while since I've seen the deck discussed. Even with the budget shortfall a deck is too important to put on the back burner.

Times article

Yeah, it is nice to see the city realizing how important it is and seemingly willing to do what it takes to keep it here. Of course I guess the WAC is still waiting for it's study to be completed. That's when I guess we'll really see what's going on.

Good points all around. I certainly hope WAC stays (or at least keeps a location) where it is now, it's nice to have that close, but I can certainly see why expansion would be in their best interests. Personally, I think a remodel/expansion of the current facility would be great, and if they need a satellite location as well, put it at the north end (Bentonville/Rogers) and make an effort to use that to redevelop or improve one of those downtowns.

Good points all around. I certainly hope WAC stays (or at least keeps a location) where it is now, it's nice to have that close, but I can certainly see why expansion would be in their best interests. Personally, I think a remodel/expansion of the current facility would be great, and if they need a satellite location as well, put it at the north end (Bentonville/Rogers) and make an effort to use that to redevelop or improve one of those downtowns.

I guess I've just always thought they'd built a larger stage and secondary stage together in the same building. But I couldn't complain too much if they decided to locate a satellite location in Benton County. I'm just hoping we can keep the main location here in Fayetteville.

• 1 month later...

I guess I've just always thought they'd built a larger stage and secondary stage together in the same building. But I couldn't complain too much if they decided to locate a satellite location in Benton County. I'm just hoping we can keep the main location here in Fayetteville.

Has anyone ever pondered the thought that maybe there was never any consideration to move the facility outside of Fayetteville and that maybe this was just a way to get the parking situation taken care of on Dickson for the center? I mean, it worked and it's really not a bad idea.

Has anyone ever pondered the thought that maybe there was never any consideration to move the facility outside of Fayetteville and that maybe this was just a way to get the parking situation taken care of on Dickson for the center? I mean, it worked and it's really not a bad idea.

I feel more like the decision to move may have already been made and they are releasing the information slowly to let Fayetteville get used to the idea. Fayetteville's moves on the parking might get them to reconsider but only if the talk becomes action. The name "Walton" gives a big clue as to what is driving the situation. The building of Crystal Bridges by Alice Walton, the plans for a 3,000 seat theater at the museum site and the growth of Benton County in population and wealth all are factors pointing to a possible move.

Hopefully Fayetteville's leaders and the University of Arkansas can come up with a plan and follow through on it so that we can keep the Walton Arts Center's main facility in town. This is another time where the nature of Northwest Arkansas hurts it- multiple cities of similar size vying for the same prize.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel more like the decision to move may have already been made and they are releasing the information slowly to let Fayetteville get used to the idea. Fayetteville's moves on the parking might get them to reconsider but only if the talk becomes action. The name "Walton" gives a big clue as to what is driving the situation. The building of Crystal Bridges by Alice Walton, the plans for a 3,000 seat theater at the museum site and the growth of Benton County in population and wealth all are factors pointing to a possible move.

Hopefully Fayetteville's leaders and the University of Arkansas can come up with a plan and follow through on it so that we can keep the Walton Arts Center's main facility in town. This is another time where the nature of Northwest Arkansas hurts it- multiple cities of similar size vying for the same prize.

With all the talk of an "experience economy" being the buzz around town it would be a real shame to sit back and see a larger performing arts facility built anywhere but at the WAC current location. With all due respect, regardless of how much growth Fayetteville's sister cities have seen and no matter how much "dickson envy" they may have, Fayetteville IS and WILL BE the cultural center of NWA. The UofA has a lot to do with this. The political make-up has something to do with this as well, as does the historical, funkiness that Fayetteville has at its core. The citizens, politicians, power brokers, school leaders, businessmen and businesswomen, and any one else with a pulse should rally right here and now to not only keep WAC in Fayetteville but also raise the funds by any and all means necessary to expand the facility to the point that it will continue to draw the entire region to downtown Fayetteville.

There is a feasibility study being conducted currently to consider the best location for an expanded facility. Why would there be any consideration to go up north? The argument is being made that the population growth is expected to hit exponential proportions in coming decades in Benton County. With this argument there are those who say Benton County should have its own facility. Years ago we adopted the notion that a regional airport would best serve our region. That place is now in Benton County. Although Drake field was nice to fly out of, the entire region has adopted XNA as our airport. We don't try to now have our own to compete with XNA. The comparison is obvious. The WAC in Fayetteville should be the PLACE for the performing arts in NWA. If we had a feasibility to say the UofA would be best served to move to Tulsa would we do it? If Wal-Mart suggested that Dallas was a better place to serve its customers needs would we just say "oh well"? I think not...Let's rally the troops to expand WAC now!

With all the talk of an "experience economy" being the buzz around town it would be a real shame to sit back and see a larger performing arts facility built anywhere but at the WAC current location. With all due respect, regardless of how much growth Fayetteville's sister cities have seen and no matter how much "dickson envy" they may have, Fayetteville IS and WILL BE the cultural center of NWA. The UofA has a lot to do with this. The political make-up has something to do with this as well, as does the historical, funkiness that Fayetteville has at its core. The citizens, politicians, power brokers, school leaders, businessmen and businesswomen, and any one else with a pulse should rally right here and now to not only keep WAC in Fayetteville but also raise the funds by any and all means necessary to expand the facility to the point that it will continue to draw the entire region to downtown Fayetteville.

There is a feasibility study being conducted currently to consider the best location for an expanded facility. Why would there be any consideration to go up north? The argument is being made that the population growth is expected to hit exponential proportions in coming decades in Benton County. With this argument there are those who say Benton County should have its own facility. Years ago we adopted the notion that a regional airport would best serve our region. That place is now in Benton County. Although Drake field was nice to fly out of, the entire region has adopted XNA as our airport. We don't try to now have our own to compete with XNA. The comparison is obvious. The WAC in Fayetteville should be the PLACE for the performing arts in NWA. If we had a feasibility to say the UofA would be best served to move to Tulsa would we do it? If Wal-Mart suggested that Dallas was a better place to serve its customers needs would we just say "oh well"? I think not...Let's rally the troops to expand WAC now!

Yeah I think the biggest thing is to be proactive and do whatever it takes to keep the main facility of the WAC in Fayetteville. Which Fayetteville does seem to be doing a good job. But while I do think having the U of A will help keep Fayetteville an important cultural area I'm not going to be so quick to say Fayetteville will always be THE cultural center of NWA. A decade ago I don't think we would have foreseen just how quickly lost it's roll as being the 'center' of NWA for everything. I think the biggest thing is that we can't be complacent. The other NWA cities want their 'share' and aren't just going to let Fayetteville dominate anything anymore.

Yeah I think the biggest thing is to be proactive and do whatever it takes to keep the main facility of the WAC in Fayetteville. Which Fayetteville does seem to be doing a good job. But while I do think having the U of A will help keep Fayetteville an important cultural area I'm not going to be so quick to say Fayetteville will always be THE cultural center of NWA. A decade ago I don't think we would have foreseen just how quickly lost it's roll as being the 'center' of NWA for everything. I think the biggest thing is that we can't be complacent. The other NWA cities want their 'share' and aren't just going to let Fayetteville dominate anything anymore.

"Ditto" on being proactive. I too believe that other parts of NWA deserve their highpoints. For one, I think Crystal Bridges is awesome. I commend Alice Walton for spending her money on something that will be enjoyed by the public for years to come. I am not jealous in the least that Bentonville will have this facility. I will not complain that it will take 30 minutes to drive there. It will be a great regional museum located in Bentonville. The Walton Arts Center should be the same...a terrific regional facility (expanded and improved) that is located in Fayetteville.

Dickson Street is the ideal location for the WAC and the center for the arts in NWA. Dickson Street just has much more potential for urban growth than any of the sister cities and the arts require urban growth to sustain it. Crystal Bridges in Bentonville will be a great art museum, but it won't be a full blown arts center like the WAC. Besides, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville have small performing arts centers so they aren't exactly hurting because the WAC is in Fayetteville.

Dickson Street is the ideal location for the WAC and the center for the arts in NWA. Dickson Street just has much more potential for urban growth than any of the sister cities and the arts require urban growth to sustain it. Crystal Bridges in Bentonville will be a great art museum, but it won't be a full blown arts center like the WAC. Besides, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville have small performing arts centers so they aren't exactly hurting because the WAC is in Fayetteville.

Before we take up all the land around WAC for new development shouldn't we program what the Walton Art Center needs first? We get one shot at maintaining the arts here and forever to regret "sleeping at the wheel".

Before we take up all the land around WAC for new development shouldn't we program what the Walton Art Center needs first? We get one shot at maintaining the arts here and forever to regret "sleeping at the wheel".

I agree. There should be a master plan for the Dickson Street Arts District to protect areas around the WAC for future land use. The city should be examining other city arts districts for ideas. There are some really good examples out there.

• 3 weeks later...

ROGERS : Site at Pinnacle Hills offered for arts center

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/219737/

Yeah, Just what I always wanted... For the Horrible, life sucking arts center that we have in the heart of our economy and community to be moved to another town that is obviously not yelling "SPRAWL PEOPLE SPRAWL"...

On a serious note, I really hope our Political system and the UofA make a sincere effort to make the WAC an offer they would not want to refuse. Is downtown Fayetteville so bad that no large entity wants to be in it? FHS, Courthouse, Police Station, WAC, Jail.....

ROGERS : Site at Pinnacle Hills offered for arts center

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/219737/

Yeah, Just what I always wanted... For the Horrible, life sucking arts center that we have in the heart of our economy and community to be moved to another town that is obviously not yelling "SPRAWL PEOPLE SPRAWL"...

On a serious note, I really hope our Political system and the UofA make a sincere effort to make the WAC an offer they would not want to refuse. Is downtown Fayetteville so bad that no large entity wants to be in it? FHS, Courthouse, Police Station, WAC, Jail.....

I think we all knew other cities were going to offer up possible locations. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bentonville offer yet another location itself. Everything I've seen seems to show Fayetteville doing all it can to keep the main facility in the city. I think it's just going to come down to what the WAC wants to do.

I imagine the third phase of the study that looks at funding will be the deciding factor as to where the center is located even if it isn't promoted that way. It may sound cynical but money talks- if the Benton County powers-that-be refuse to support a location other than Benton County it may come down to that. Hopefully I'm wrong and the obvious best choice of location (the present area) will be chosen for an expansion. It would be interesting to hear how the talks between Signet, the WAC representatives and the City of Fayetteville are going - it's been rather quiet lately.

I imagine the third phase of the study that looks at funding will be the deciding factor as to where the center is located even if it isn't promoted that way. It may sound cynical but money talks- if the Benton County powers-that-be refuse to support a location other than Benton County it may come down to that. Hopefully I'm wrong and the obvious best choice of location (the present area) will be chosen for an expansion. It would be interesting to hear how the talks between Signet, the WAC representatives and the City of Fayetteville are going - it's been rather quiet lately.

Good point that I hadn't thought to mention. I believe I saw something that noted that more donations are made by people from Benton County residents than Washington County residents. That could possibly be made a factor as well.

Yeah, I really wish our city would engage in not letting these things move. This kind of seems like a critical point in our city's future urban development.

Yeah, I really wish our city would engage in not letting these things move. This kind of seems like a critical point in our city's future urban development.

I know we're getting off topic here. But it's so ironic that we keep talking about trying to keep sprawl in check and so on. Yet it seems like we're pushing our city services out of downtown.

I know we're getting off topic here. But it's so ironic that we keep talking about trying to keep sprawl in check and so on. Yet it seems like we're pushing our city services out of downtown.

Well, the views of this board are a little one sided (even if we differ so much on many issues) when it comes to sprawl. There are few people on this board that support urban sprawl to a high degree. But outside of this board it makes perfect sense to have urban sprawl. On the short term, everything about it is cheaper. Cheaper land, cheaper construction costs, cheaper everything. Even on a political standpoint it makes sense to side more with sprawl. Our government is short-term based and only cares about the now and only occasionally thinks about mentioning the later.

Sorry about trying to derail the topic about commenting on the Sprawl thing, although it could end up being a good topic starter

This would be like us moving Robinson Auditorium to Benton. It makes no sense. The WAC is already in the right location.

Yeah but it certainly doesn't mean that residents in Benton County aren't going to try to lure the WAC away. If they do move the main site of the WAC to Benton County I really hope they don't stick it basically in an outdoor mall like the site in Rogers is.

Well, the views of this board are a little one sided (even if we differ so much on many issues) when it comes to sprawl. There are few people on this board that support urban sprawl to a high degree. But outside of this board it makes perfect sense to have urban sprawl. On the short term, everything about it is cheaper. Cheaper land, cheaper construction costs, cheaper everything. Even on a political standpoint it makes sense to side more with sprawl. Our government is short-term based and only cares about the now and only occasionally thinks about mentioning the later.

Sorry about trying to derail the topic about commenting on the Sprawl thing, although it could end up being a good topic starter

• 1 month later...

The city is trying to find a way to come with some money to help keep the Walton Arts Center in town. Refinancing the bonds used to build the Town Center is being looked at and may be the only way to raise money without a tax increase. Seems in a city where a one cent sales tax increase was approved to build a new library a tax increase to keep WAC in town would stand a good chance of passing. WAC is at least as important to the community if not more than the library or Town Center.

It's good to hear that local property owners are willing to sell their land if it means keeping WAC downtown. A strong community effort will be needed preserve Fayetteville's place as the cultural center of the region.

NWA Times article

The people on here also would prefer that buildings like Renaissance, the Dickson, St Charles Plaza, etc. would go ahead and get built. Market factors and feasibility are less pertinent for us non-decision makers.

You make a good point about the short-term persuasion of the decisions. I can't really give a good argument about why the WAC should stay that wouldn't be able to see themselves. I'm sure they're concerned about the bottom-line. I'm concerned about the Dickson street economy.

While losing the Walton Arts Center would hurt Dickson, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the impact on the economy. In my experience on Dickson, mostly college students support at least 60% of revenue for the bars and restaurants. Beyond that, it's locals and others that frequent regardless of what is going on at the WAC. I can't tell you how many times I've watched hundreds of people flock out of the WAC, straight to their cars, and away from Dickson. I've also been out to eat on Dickson before quite a few shows at WAC, and rarely have I noticed a larger crowd that was making its way to the WAC.

I tend to believe that the WAC draws a crowd that normally wouldn't be on Dickson, and hence has a limited effect on its overall economy (although it does add a lot in other areas).

Archived