Walton Arts Center Location

Mith242

Where do you think the WAC should be located?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the WAC should be located?

• Same location, just expand as much as possible.
    • Different location, but still on/near Dickson St
    • Another location somewhere in Fayetteville
    • Somewhere else in NWA outside of Fayetteville

This is all a setup for the Walton Foundation or another Benton Co donor to come in and pay for a chunk of it and dictate it be done in Benton Co. I think the plan has been there to move it all along and that this is being done the way it is in order to not ruffle any feather in Fayetteville.

Aporkalypse is exactly right. The plan to move the WAC has been in place for some time. In conducting the study they ran into more stiff opposition to moving the WAC to Benton County than they had anticipated--so they decided to take some more time to try and sell the idea of a Benton County WAC to the general public.

Pay particular attention to quotes like this from the Morning News: 'Planning for a capital campaign, including a lead gift in the range of $100 million, can commence immediately.'. There just aren't a lot of people in this region with that kind of money lying around. In fact, I can think of only one.....

This is going to get very interesting. The WAC wants to go to Benton County, but they want to retain the current venue to prevent anyone from going in to direct competition with them. On that note, there has been talk by some in the Fayetteville business community of examining the contract between the City of Fayetteville, the UofA and the WAC. The venue is actually owned by the city and the UA and is only leased to the WAC. According to them, that lease with the WAC could be terminated at some point in the future if it was necessary and in the best interests of the city and the university. That would then allow the city and the UA to operate the center themselves or lease it to another organization for operation. This would also allow the city to explore renovation and expansion options that the WAC doesn't seem interested in. There are many examples of successful performing arts venues around the country that are operated by municipalities and universities. Notice in every article on the subject the WAC always says they intend to keep 'some programming' at the current location. They say it is to provide better regional coverage, but in reality it is just an effort to prevent the one thing they fear more than anything else: competition.

Aporkalypse is exactly right. The plan to move the WAC has been in place for some time. In conducting the study they ran into more stiff opposition to moving the WAC to Benton County than they had anticipated--so they decided to take some more time to try and sell the idea of a Benton County WAC to the general public.

Pay particular attention to quotes like this from the Morning News: 'Planning for a capital campaign, including a lead gift in the range of $100 million, can commence immediately.'. There just aren't a lot of people in this region with that kind of money lying around. In fact, I can think of only one.....

This is going to get very interesting. The WAC wants to go to Benton County, but they want to retain the current venue to prevent anyone from going in to direct competition with them. On that note, there has been talk by some in the Fayetteville business community of examining the contract between the City of Fayetteville, the UofA and the WAC. The venue is actually owned by the city and the UA and is only leased to the WAC. According to them, that lease with the WAC could be terminated at some point in the future if it was necessary and in the best interests of the city and the university. That would then allow the city and the UA to operate the center themselves or lease it to another organization for operation. This would also allow the city to explore renovation and expansion options that the WAC doesn't seem interested in. There are many examples of successful performing arts venues around the country that are operated by municipalities and universities. Notice in every article on the subject the WAC always says they intend to keep 'some programming' at the current location. They say it is to provide better regional coverage, but in reality it is just an effort to prevent the one thing they fear more than anything else: competition.

I wonder if it would really come to Fayetteville canceling the deal. I forgot to mention the possibility of there being competition. Everything I kept reading was saying the WAC better build something before someone else will. But I'm curious who else would build something like that in NWA.

I wonder if it would really come to Fayetteville canceling the deal. I forgot to mention the possibility of there being competition. Everything I kept reading was saying the WAC better build something before someone else will. But I'm curious who else would build something like that in NWA.

The real question is what are they really building?

Despite the failures to build an arena in Rogers (which as most of you know I predicted and was shamed) I think there should and will ultimately be a publicly funded arena in Benton Co in the 6000-10,000 seat range similar to Summit Arena in Hot Springs. I have no issues with that being built there as it would serve a different niche and not compete with Walton Arts Center or Bud Walton directly, just provide different services.

If it's a performing arts center in the 2500-3000 seat range as had been there is no reason whatsoever it couldn't go on or around Dickson/downtown Fayetteville. A comparable structure would be Robinson Auditorium in downtown LR and that would fit in a space the size the lot across the street from ithe current WAC. Putting something like that far away from the university makes no sense.

If the WAC is going to abandon Fayetteville by building the expansion elsewhere (and that is what is happening regardless of what programming leftovers are at the current site) then the City of Fayetteville and the UA should indeed terminate the contract if possible. Letting the WAC dictate what entertainment and cultural activities come to Fayetteville and the Dickson Street entertainment district would be a mistake. The WAC board has made clear that this is all about the money so let them chase the cash and the city and university will provide the competition that the board doesn't want.

The real question is what are they really building?

Despite the failures to build an arena in Rogers (which as most of you know I predicted and was shamed) I think there should and will ultimately be a publicly funded arena in Benton Co in the 6000-10,000 seat range similar to Summit Arena in Hot Springs. I have no issues with that being built there as it would serve a different niche and not compete with Walton Arts Center or Bud Walton directly, just provide different services.

If it's a performing arts center in the 2500-3000 seat range as had been there is no reason whatsoever it couldn't go on or around Dickson/downtown Fayetteville. A comparable structure would be Robinson Auditorium in downtown LR and that would fit in a space the size the lot across the street from ithe current WAC. Putting something like that far away from the university makes no sense.

From everything I've heard it's the latter. I haven't even heard them contemplating anything in the 6,000-10,000 range.

If the WAC is going to abandon Fayetteville by building the expansion elsewhere (and that is what is happening regardless of what programming leftovers are at the current site) then the City of Fayetteville and the UA should indeed terminate the contract if possible. Letting the WAC dictate what entertainment and cultural activities come to Fayetteville and the Dickson Street entertainment district would be a mistake. The WAC board has made clear that this is all about the money so let them chase the cash and the city and university will provide the competition that the board doesn't want.

I'd really hate for it to come to that. But I guess Fayetteville needs to look out for it's own needs. But I do hope Fayetteville doesn't do anything too quickly. It would be even worse if they pulled the plug on the WAC only to have problems finding anyone else run the facility. Despite talk of someone else possibly building a larger facility if the WAC doesn't, I'm not sure who exactly would. In particular to today's economy.

I'd really hate for it to come to that. But I guess Fayetteville needs to look out for it's own needs. But I do hope Fayetteville doesn't do anything too quickly. It would be even worse if they pulled the plug on the WAC only to have problems finding anyone else run the facility. Despite talk of someone else possibly building a larger facility if the WAC doesn't, I'm not sure who exactly would. In particular to today's economy.

I think the plan now is to wait until 2011 to pick a location so there is a lot of time for it to play out. I imagine that until the economy does recover a location choice will be put off- it wouldn't look good for a big name individual or company to make a $100 million donation for a performing arts center if the country is in a recession.

An addition of a larger theater to the current facilty should be cheaper than a whole new campus like the study calls for. The 600 and 100 seat spaces would not need to be built as Baum Walker Hall and Nadine Baum Studios would suffice for those. With the city already owning the lot that could be used for a larger theater that expense would be cut out. There are private interests that can help with a parking deck and the possible hotel that has been talked about. If the city and university didn't want to run the arts center themselves I think there would be a lot of interested parties that would.

Fayetteville and Dickson Street are very attractive names and by being free from the WAC to attract all possible artists and shows the Fayetteville Performing Arts Center would be very competitive. Who knows- maybe another big name sponsor could be found and their name put on the front of the building.

I think the plan now is to wait until 2011 to pick a location so there is a lot of time for it to play out. I imagine that until the economy does recover a location choice will be put off- it wouldn't look good for a big name individual or company to make a $100 million donation for a performing arts center if the country is in a recession.

An addition of a larger theater to the current facility should be cheaper than a whole new campus like the study calls for. The 600 and 100 seat spaces would not need to be built as Baum Walker Hall and Nadine Baum Studios would suffice for those. With the city already owning the lot that could be used for a larger theater that expense would be cut out. There are private interests that can help with a parking deck and the possible hotel that has been talked about. If the city and university didn't want to run the arts center themselves I think there would be a lot of interested parties that would.

Fayetteville and Dickson Street are very attractive names and by being free from the WAC to attract all possible artists and shows the Fayetteville Performing Arts Center would be very competitive. Who knows- maybe another big name sponsor could be found and their name put on the front of the building.

Good points. There was talk of putting a parking deck south of the current WAC. If the current parking lot was used for a larger theater, I'd think there would still be room leftover that you could squeeze in another parking deck to ensure enough parking. Although that does throw out the hotel idea for that location. But if the WAC thinks it could actually raise all the money needed I could still see them wanting to try to build a whole new campus. But like you said, it's hard to see anyone throwing out $100 Mil currently just to get things started considering the economy. Although it doesn't seem to have stopped Alice Walton from buying lots of artwork for the future Crystal Bridges.

Just supposing there was a new campus built in Fayetteville, where would people want it? If you could somehow find the space would you try to place it near the Square? Seems like you might have a better chance finding land closer to the Library or around the Mill District. But would people like it there?

Another article about the Walton Arts Center location. http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/242996/

In the article, Coody mentions a Chamber of Commerce bond issue for 12 million dollars to improve 6th street as an entryway into the city?

Wow, that would be huge. Anybody know anything about this?

The A&P commission isn't even part of the Chamber of Commerce, it is a city entity funded by the HMR tax.

The A&P commission isn't even part of the Chamber of Commerce, it is a city entity funded by the HMR tax.

Interesting.

So they would use the "hamburger tax" to pay the bonds for that improvement?

I think its a great idea since that is the main entrance to the city for most people who visit the University of Arkansas or downtown. Wow if Sixth MLK gets a makeover, along with College Avenue's awesome improvements and the Crossover Road project, Fayetteville is going to have some very nice main streets.

Often times when there is disagreement about an issue one of the sides is labeled by the other as having an emotional response. To an extent this is true in this case -civic pride is indeed an emotional response and quite appropriate. In the debate on where the WAC expansion is to be the side favoring keeping the main facility in Fayetteville has much more than civic pride as a reason. The economic issue is much more important than any emotional one.

The WAC was the linchpin of Dickson Street's rejuvenation over the last 15 years. It is still the mainstay of the entertainment district that has grown up in downtown Fayetteville. In Fayetteville's tourist information guides it is listed as Arkansas's largest and busiest performing arts center. When business executives from other states and countries look at locating their facilites in Fayetteville it's cultural amenities are one of the aspects they look at. The exposure that Fayetteville gets as a cultural center will be greatly diminished.

The WAC is an economic force in the city and locating the main facility away from it will hurt the city's attractiveness to business and tourists alike. To some this may be a regional issue but in fact for Fayetteville it is a city issue first and regional second. Building a large new facilty in Benton County will harm Fayetteville more than what positive effects would come out of it. Just the affect of the show and artist's entourages not staying in Fayetteville will be a large economic loss for the city. The loss of patrons enjoying the resturants and clubs in the area before and after events will be another economic blow.

If the WAC still has control over what events happen at the current facility it will guarantee that it is kept as a second rate venue used mostly by the university students for school events. The WAC's board will be beholden to whoever finances the Benton County facility to have the most attractive shows and artists there. It's only reasonable for someone who is willing to donate $100 million to expect that they get the most for that money. In order to make the new facilty successful it have to have top billing and receive the most attention to Fayetteville's detriment. Fayetteville and the university will need to be free to compete for events in order to keep the same great quality of life the city enjoys now.

Often times when there is disagreement about an issue one of the sides is labeled by the other as having an emotional response. To an extent this is true in this case -civic pride is indeed an emotional response and quite appropriate. In the debate on where the WAC expansion is to be the side favoring keeping the main facility in Fayetteville has much more than civic pride as a reason. The economic issue is much more important than any emotional one.

The WAC was the linchpin of Dickson Street's rejuvenation over the last 15 years. It is still the mainstay of the entertainment district that has grown up in downtown Fayetteville. In Fayetteville's tourist information guides it is listed as Arkansas's largest and busiest performing arts center. When business executives from other states and countries look at locating their facilites in Fayetteville it's cultural amenities are one of the aspects they look at. The exposure that Fayetteville gets as a cultural center will be greatly diminished.

The WAC is an economic force in the city and locating the main facility away from it will hurt the city's attractiveness to business and tourists alike. To some this may be a regional issue but in fact for Fayetteville it is a city issue first and regional second. Building a large new facilty in Benton County will harm Fayetteville more than what positive effects would come out of it. Just the affect of the show and artist's entourages not staying in Fayetteville will be a large economic loss for the city. The loss of patrons enjoying the resturants and clubs in the area before and after events will be another economic blow.

If the WAC still has control over what events happen at the current facility it will guarantee that it is kept as a second rate venue used mostly by the university students for school events. The WAC's board will be beholden to whoever finances the Benton County facility to have the most attractive shows and artists there. It's only reasonable for someone who is willing to donate $100 million to expect that they get the most for that money. In order to make the new facilty successful it have to have top billing and receive the most attention to Fayetteville's detriment. Fayetteville and the university will need to be free to compete for events in order to keep the same great quality of life the city enjoys now.

Some very interesting points. I hadn't considered some of that.

Often times when there is disagreement about an issue one of the sides is labeled by the other as having an emotional response. To an extent this is true in...

Very good discussion.

Is anyone here very familiar with the current layout of the WAC? I am wondering what the feasibility might be of expansion of the current facility into a larger theater. Is there space at the WAC that is used for other stuff, like galleries, etc? Could the current building be reconfigured to accomodate a bigger theater? Could some of that other use be transferred offsite to a new building?

An ideal scenario to me would be an expanded performance space in the current building and a smaller gallery space built next door on the parking lot, sharing the lot with the city's vision of a parking deck and a hotel.

I really want to see a hotel downtown on Dickson at some point. I really think that is one of the main thing missing down there.

I have a hard time imagining two large performance venues staring at each other across West Ave.

If a new building is built somewhere, it seems almost pre-ordained that it goes to Bentonville. In this economic climate, a large donor is going to have to step forward again, so the Waltons will have the final vote. I'd imagine Alice would love to have the synergy of a WAC next door to the Crystal Bridges museum.

Very good discussion.

Is anyone here very familiar with the current layout of the WAC? I am wondering what the feasibility might be of expansion of the current facility into a larger theater. Is there space at the WAC that is used for other stuff, like galleries, etc? Could the current building be reconfigured to accomodate a bigger theater? Could some of that other use be transferred offsite to a new building?

An ideal scenario to me would be an expanded performance space in the current building and a smaller gallery space built next door on the parking lot, sharing the lot with the city's vision of a parking deck and a hotel.

I really want to see a hotel downtown on Dickson at some point. I really think that is one of the main thing missing down there.

I have a hard time imagining two large performance venues staring at each other across West Ave.

If a new building is built somewhere, it seems almost pre-ordained that it goes to Bentonville. In this economic climate, a large donor is going to have to step forward again, so the Waltons will have the final vote. I'd imagine Alice would love to have the synergy of a WAC next door to the Crystal Bridges museum.

There's some gallery space there but a lot of that has been pushed over into the other Nadine Baum Studios south of the WAC parking lot. The current layout really does waste a lot of space. It sits way off the street level. I think the problem with trying to expand it in the immediate space is that it would be extremely disruptive. You might even have to cancel events and tear down large parts of it so that you could totally change the layout. But I can see that they wouldn't want to cancel things or go through a period where there might not be any performances. You could probably keep the smaller stage going but if you'd have to kill the main stage and all the bigger performances it might be easier just to cancel things and totally redesign the whole space. And even then it might be a pretty tight squeeze to fit everything in the way they want. The current layout just doesn't work well at all for any possible expansion plans. It was great to get it back then. But looking back it would have been a lot nicer if they had planned ahead a bit more. I really enjoy having it but never was particularly crazy about the design or layout.

Expanding Baum Walker Hall, which is the current large theater, wouldn't be feasible. It would be cheaper to tear it down and start over and that would leave the WAC without a large performance venue for the length of construction on a new building. There are other theaters such as the two fine arts theaters on campus, the ACO in Springdale and Arend Arts Center in Bentonville that could be used temporarily but I don't think the board wants to consider those options.

Building a new single large theater on the parking lot to the west and using the current facilities as the secondary performing spaces would not only be cheaper but would save save space for a parking deck and hotel. Even a larger convention space could possibly be added to the complex- something that Fayetteville needs.

Another aspect of the importance of the main facility remaining in Fayetteville is it's attractiveness in recruiting top administrators, professors and students to the University of Arkansas. In turn, it is important for the WAC to have the university as a resource close by- something that would suffer if the expansion is 25 miles away.

And now it's time for Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

• 5 months later...

The Walton Arts Center has hired a new director - Peter Lane, who served as CEO for the Mann Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia. He has an impresssive resume as an adminstrator and is a professional musician.

Hopefully he enters the discussion about where the WAC expansion will occur with an open mind and will not be a divisive force in NWA by advocating that the WAC abandon Fayetteville by building its main venue elsewhere. He is making his home in Fayetteville at this time so he will get a chance to see the importance of the WAC to Fayetteville and how the center is best served by having it's primary venue in the city.

Morning News article

I really don't understand why the people in charge of this WAC Expansion Committee are still trying to figure out what to do. The answer is plain and simple... Tear down the current WAC and build anew, even if it means to be without a theater for one freak'n year! Doesn't the Arend Arts Center have 1,100 seats(same as WAC) anyway!? They could just use Arend for one year even though they might not get all the shows they would have because of stage dimensions, lighting, sound, etc... Fayetteville is where the character of NWA lives, and thus is where the WAC should remain.

After visiting the Mann Center website and seeing the high calliber of talent Mr. Lane brought to the theater, he should be able to light a fire under these idiots that are currently in charge.

Of course it wouldn't be all bad news if the WAC left Fayetteville. UA could take over Baum Theater, and if there are enough theater freaks in Fayetteville, maybe a semi-proffesional theater company will emerge.

I really don't understand why the people in charge of this WAC Expansion Committee are still trying to figure out what to do. The answer is plain and simple... Tear down the current WAC and build anew, even if it means to be without a theater for one freak'n year! Doesn't the Arend Arts Center have 1,100 seats(same as WAC) anyway!? They could just use Arend for one year even though they might not get all the shows they would have because of stage dimensions, lighting, sound, etc... Fayetteville is where the character of NWA lives, and thus is where the WAC should remain.

Reusing the lot that the current facility is on would be the ideal solution. The way the building is situated on the lot wastes a lot of space that could be used for a larger theater and leave the current parking lot for a parking deck with shops lining the ground floor. A hotel could be added to the project very easily. There are several venues in the area that could be used on a temporary basis.

I don't think this idea has ever been considered by the WAC board. They have known about it- just not seriously considered it. The push from the begining has been how to justify moving the expansion to Benton County. Keeping the current building in place with the programing leftovers that it would receive has been the sad carrot that they have dangled for Fayetteville to grab. That is why it is important that if the decison by the board is to move the expansion out of Fayetteville that the existing contract be terminated and Fayetteville and the University operate the current performing arts center themselves- it could become the Northwest Arkansas Performing Arts Center!

Reusing the lot that the current facility is on would be the ideal solution. The way the building is situated on the lot wastes a lot of space that could be used for a larger theater and leave the current parking lot for a parking deck with shops lining the ground floor. A hotel could be added to the project very easily. There are several venues in the area that could be used on a temporary basis.

I don't think this idea has ever been considered by the WAC board. They have known about it- just not seriously considered it. The push from the begining has been how to justify moving the expansion to Benton County. Keeping the current building in place with the programing leftovers that it would receive has been the sad carrot that they have dangled for Fayetteville to grab. That is why it is important that if the decision by the board is to move the expansion out of Fayetteville that the existing contract be terminated and Fayetteville and the University operate the current performing arts center themselves- it could become the Northwest Arkansas Performing Arts Center!

Thanks for the info and link by the way.

I have to agree with you. It seems more like they are looking for an excuse to move to Benton County. Yeah it would certainly be inconvenient to not have the current building in use for a while. But it's really not that great of a building. I'm not trying to slam it, but really they could find another nicer building to put in it's place. When it was built Dickson St wasn't what it is today. I'd really like for them to keep their current spot and simply put a better designed building in it's spot. Even if it meant losing some acts in the year or so. As Slyder mentioned earlier. Some events could be moved elsewhere although I imagine some would be canceled.

Great article in the Fayetteville Flyer on this topic. It lays out out what the Arts Consulting Group has suggested and why Fayetteville is the place for the Walton Arts Center to expand. The idea that the Fayetteville A&P Commission (Arts and Promotion Commission for those inquiring minds) could use come of it's revenue to help keep the WAC expansion in town is an excellent one- it is a very appropriate use of the tax money. Whether this is the exact plan that is put into place or not the city administration and council needs to take action to keep the WAC's main facilty in Fayetteville now- not wait until the WAC Board and donors have made public their decision.

Fayetteville Flyer article

Great article in the Fayetteville Flyer on this topic. It lays out out what the Arts Consulting Group has suggested and why Fayetteville is the place for the Walton Arts Center to expand. The idea that the Fayetteville A&P Commission (Arts and Promotion Commission for those inquiring minds) could use come of it's revenue to help keep the WAC expansion in town is an excellent one- it is a very appropriate use of the tax money. Whether this is the exact plan that is put into place or not the city administration and council needs to take action to keep the WAC's main facility in Fayetteville now- not wait until the WAC Board and donors have made public their decision.

Fayetteville Flyer article

Thanks for that link. He's really thought it out very well. Some Fayetteville officials really need to take notice of that and start working to make it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the public not hearing as much as we should about it, it does sound like the city is making some efforts to keeping the WAC. But it would be nice for the city to make it very well known the efforts it's making. I think a lot of us in Fayetteville want to know what's going on and such. Sounds like everybody in Fayetteville also hope the U of A can help things along as well. They've played an important part in the WAC and it would be great to have them try to help keep the main facility in Fayetteville. No idea though if the university plans to make any influence to the decision or not.

Even worse for citizens of Fayetteville, someone who I believe has something to do with the Ads and Promotion Dept for the city of Fayetteville said something about Dickson St not being that 'safe' and the WAC needing to move away from it's current location. :huh: Then he apparent did throw in that it should stay in Fayetteville but would be better off in west Fayetteville by I-540. Wish I caught the name, something like Panozza I think. Everyone in Fayetteville needs to give this guy a huge 'thanks' for his statements. First of all if Dickson St has 'safety issues' what did he think of the idea of the original WAC being built on Dickson St. It's a lot better than it was back then. And come on, if you were going to build it along I-540 Fayetteville might as well give up. If you were going to built it along I-540 you might as well move it up to Benton County. What advantage is there to be on I-540 and stay in Fayetteville? What Fayetteville has going for it is Dickson St and the downtown area. Great job promoting the city you work for. If Fayetteville needs to cut back because of the economy I recommend his position be the first.

Archived