Walton Arts Center Location

Mith242

Where do you think the WAC should be located?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the WAC should be located?

• Same location, just expand as much as possible.
    • Different location, but still on/near Dickson St
    • Another location somewhere in Fayetteville
    • Somewhere else in NWA outside of Fayetteville

I don't know if you guys have heard yet, but I was reading nwanews.com and they had in bold print "WAC not leaving Fayetteville." That's awesome to hear!

He's just saying the same thing they have been saying all along- that the WAC will stay in Fayetteville but that the location of the new, larger facilty has't been decided yet. The fact is that the new, larger facilty will be the premier performing arts center in NWA and if it is built away from Fayetteville the present facilty will be a second rate venue that gets the left over scraps of programming that they throw it's way.

If the new, larger facilty is built away from Fayetteville then the WAC needs to go with it. Letting the WAC control what events come to Fayetteville after they abandon the city would be a huge mistake. Fayetteville and the university need to either operate the present center themselves or another group needs to be found to do it. Fayetteville and Dickson Street are two very well known names in the entertainment scene of the region and the re-named Northwest Arkansas Performing Arts Center would be very successful.

He's just saying the same thing they have been saying all along- that the WAC will stay in Fayetteville but that the location of the new, larger facility hasn't been decided yet. The fact is that the new, larger facility will be the premier performing arts center in NWA and if it is built away from Fayetteville the present facility will be a second rate venue that gets the left over scraps of programming that they throw it's way.

If the new, larger facility is built away from Fayetteville then the WAC needs to go with it. Letting the WAC control what events come to Fayetteville after they abandon the city would be a huge mistake. Fayetteville and the university need to either operate the present center themselves or another group needs to be found to do it. Fayetteville and Dickson Street are two very well known names in the entertainment scene of the region and the re-named Northwest Arkansas Performing Arts Center would be very successful.

Exactly. I admit I have to be careful wording my posts about this. Fayetteville technically isn't losing the WAC. But could lose the main facility to Benton County. Sure we'll still get events here but as you've said before all the big and best events would go to the new facility. I think all of this has confused some people. But also as you have said, I have to question the commitment of the WAC if they do decide to build their main facility in Benton County. I also think the city would need to readdress it's agreement with the WAC if they build elsewhere. I'm like you and think we could do well with running the facility without the WAC. But I admit I don't know this for certain. Maybe we'll get stuck with having a 'secondary' WAC facility. But I'd certainly like the city to pursue alternatives if the WAC isn't totally committed to Fayetteville. I suppose the city could have better addressed the parking issue sooner. But other than that the city has always done well to work with the WAC. Of course many of us are looking at this from a Fayetteville perspective. I guess I can't totally blame the WAC for looking into the possibility of a Benton County facility. A lot of WAC patrons do live up there and a number of them provide a lot of money to the WAC. But at the same time the WAC should also realize Fayetteville needs to do what it thinks is best. Even if that means canceling the agreement with the WAC and work with someone else if the WAC wants to go build it's main facility in Benton County.

Well they certainly have a good way of confusing people. I agree too, if they build the new theater away from Fayetteville a new management group needs to take over. Since the current WAC is only 1,100 seats it would be a perfect venue for concerts and other kinds of entertainment options. Is the WAC the only theater with 1,000 or more seats in Fayetteville?

Well they certainly have a good way of confusing people. I agree too, if they build the new theater away from Fayetteville a new management group needs to take over. Since the current WAC is only 1,100 seats it would be a perfect venue for concerts and other kinds of entertainment options. Is the WAC the only theater with 1,000 or more seats in Fayetteville?

I don't know of too many other facilities that have that much seating for performances. Now there are facilities on the U of A campus. Occasionally you'll have someone do some performances on campus, but it doesn't happen too often. I don't think the U of A really goes for that very much. So outside the U of A I doubt the city has anything else with that type of seating. Of course if the city or someone else took over the current WAC I think they could find ways to expand it. I guess it's more a question of coming up with the funds.

I don't know of too many other facilities that have that much seating for performances. Now there are facilities on the U of A campus. Occasionally you'll have someone do some performances on campus, but it doesn't happen too often. I don't think the U of A really goes for that very much. So outside the U of A I doubt the city has anything else with that type of seating. Of course if the city or someone else took over the current WAC I think they could find ways to expand it. I guess it's more a question of coming up with the funds.

This actually hits on a important concern about the UA's role in the location discussion. The students need a larger, better performance space. The two theaters in the fine arts building are inadequate for their use and the present WAC would be ideal for student productions. The UA may see the move of the WAC's main performance venue out of Fayetteville as a way to gain that space for more of it's use. While I think everyone would like to see the students have a wonderful space for their use it shouldn't preclude the the UA's support for keeping the expansion in Fayetteville. The present facilty could still be open to more student use- it would be great to have more than one production going on at a time. This happens at other venues even without university involvement.

The WAC's main facilty being in Fayetteville has to be a great tool for recruiting and retaining top line faculty and students. Having a large performance venue right next to campus seems to me to go right along with the education mission on the university- the exposure that it gives to students has to be a plus. Hopefully the UA sees this and is fully supportive of keeping the premier performing arts center in NWA located in it's home city.

This actually hits on a important concern about the UA's role in the location discussion. The students need a larger, better performance space. The two theaters in the fine arts building are inadequate for their use and the present WAC would be ideal for student productions. The UA may see the move of the WAC's main performance venue out of Fayetteville as a way to gain that space for more of it's use. While I think everyone would like to see the students have a wonderful space for their use it shouldn't preclude the the UA's support for keeping the expansion in Fayetteville. The present facilty could still be open to more student use- it would be great to have more than one production going on at a time. This happens at other venues even without university involvement.

The WAC's main facilty being in Fayetteville has to be a great tool for recruiting and retaining top line faculty and students. Having a large performance venue right next to campus seems to me to go right along with the education mission on the university- the exposure that it gives to students has to be a plus. Hopefully the UA sees this and is fully supportive of keeping the premier performing arts center in NWA located in it's home city.

I haven't heard anyone with the University that thought it would beneficial at all for the WAC to build a main facility elsewhere. I hope that the UofA will make it's official opinion known in the near future if any steps are taken towards a possible expansion/relocation anytime soon. I know the University can't afford it now, but I would hope they'd be willing to assist the WAC if they decided to expand within Fayetteville, maybe for an agreement that includes use of some of their theater space now and then. The current drama theater in the Fine Arts hall was expanded some this summer, but they've really run out of space for it to grow there. It is possible that some provision for that is planned with the long-term plan for the fine arts center expansion where that parking lot is now, though.

Yeah it would be great to see the U of A make their presence known a bit more. Really haven't heard them comment too much about the whole thing. But you can probably make the assumption that they have privately discussed matters with the WAC. For all we know the U of A might be the main reason that the WAC is still even considering Fayetteville at all.

I haven't heard anyone with the University that thought it would beneficial at all for the WAC to build a main facility elsewhere. I hope that the UofA will make it's official opinion known in the near future if any steps are taken towards a possible expansion/relocation anytime soon. I know the University can't afford it now, but I would hope they'd be willing to assist the WAC if they decided to expand within Fayetteville, maybe for an agreement that includes use of some of their theater space now and then. The current drama theater in the Fine Arts hall was expanded some this summer, but they've really run out of space for it to grow there. It is possible that some provision for that is planned with the long-term plan for the fine arts center expansion where that parking lot is now, though.

It's encouraging to hear that they haven't spoken against a Fayetteville WAC expansion. It would be great if they could take a more proactive stance in supporting a new facilty in town. Although the decision by the WAC Board and donors still seems a ways off it would be better to express support and plan for the expansion now instead of waitng until the decison is made and trying to get them to change their minds.

I've noticed that the University Theater has had some events at the WAC facilities this season- it has made for much better productions than the Fine Arts Building theater. The drama and music students do need improved facilities one way or the other.

Yesterday's "Sure Things"(10-31-09) editorial in the NWA Times misses the point- what WAC CEO Peter Lane told the Chamber of Commerce is what the WAC position has been for years. They - the WAC - are in need of a larger facilty. They have not publicly made a decision on where that larger facilty will be. He did not state that it will be in Fayetteville. The new,larger facilty will be the premier performing arts center in NWA. Regardless of what that facilty is named it will be what the present Walton Arts Center is now and all the importance that it has to the Fayetteville community.

Until we hear statements like "the new, larger WAC will be located in Fayetteville" and "the expansion of the WAC will be located in Fayetteville" or even the "larger building will be in Fayetteville" will the question of the WAC location be settled- that or the construction of a $100,000,000+ facility without comment in a city other than Fayetteville. Talk about economic impact- what a loss for Fayetteville!

Yesterday's "Sure Things"(10-31-09) editorial in the NWA Times misses the point- what WAC CEO Peter Lane told the Chamber of Commerce is what the WAC position has been for years. They - the WAC - are in need of a larger facility. They have not publicly made a decision on where that larger facility will be. He did not state that it will be in Fayetteville. The new,larger facility will be the premier performing arts center in NWA. Regardless of what that facility is named it will be what the present Walton Arts Center is now and all the importance that it has to the Fayetteville community.

Until we hear statements like "the new, larger WAC will be located in Fayetteville" and "the expansion of the WAC will be located in Fayetteville" or even the "larger building will be in Fayetteville" will the question of the WAC location be settled- that or the construction of a $100,000,000+ facility without comment in a city other than Fayetteville. Talk about economic impact- what a loss for Fayetteville!

Yeah seems like the WAC is just trying to smooth things over with Fayetteville residents. The WAC also seems to be trying to tell us that even if the main facility is built elsewhere in NWA it won't affect Fayetteville because we still have the current facility. While it's true we'll still have the current facility you can't tell the people in Fayetteville they are going to miss having the best productions and artists. We all know they'll go to the newer larger facility. I hate to phrase it as we'll just get the 'leftovers'. In the end Fayetteville can't make the WAC build it's new main facility in Fayetteville. If the WAC feels it needs to build the new main facility somewhere else in NWA there's not much Fayetteville can do to stop that. But I also think the WAC needs to know Fayetteville doesn't necessarily owe them anything either. If the WAC wants it's main facility somewhere else in NWA then Fayetteville should look into partnering with someone else. Maybe that would be best for NWA, two art centers competing with each other. One for both NWA counties.

I have a hard time imagining Fayetteville residents driving to Bentonville to see performing arts.

It just doesn't compute.

True, but I suppose they might have to if they want to see the bigger performances. I know some Fayetteville people have slowly gotten used to shopping in Benton County. Although I'd be very curious to see some sort of stats on that. Do Fayetteville people go very often to Benton County?

I think people in Benton County are also used to coming down to do things. For a long time Fayetteville was were everything was located. I hate to say we Fayetteville residents are spoiled, but I do think we tend to be a bit more hesitant to go elsewhere in NWA. Maybe we're just used to being able to do things here and tend to just stick around.

I doubt the new Theater will be built in Bentonville. If they do choose to build it in Benton County I would bet it would go in somewhere around the Promenade/Pinnacle area, or maybe off the interstate in Springdale.

That is the problem. Though, I think the WAC will do best in/near its current location, If it should move it should go to another dense area. The reason [i think] the WAC is so successful is because of all the support business in the area. The UofA, Georges, the jewelry stores, the new Inn, the hippy stores (sorry I forgot their names but love them anyways), the bookstores, Bordinos, Grubs, Common Grounds, all of the other eateries, the lights on the square…. The WAC isn’t successful only because it is the WAC, it is that way because of the environment that is created by everything. If the WAC things that moving to an unpopulated/non-dense area is the best idea I fear for the profitability. Yes some business will move to it but the atmosphere will be lost. Going in near the downtown of Bentonville, Rogers, even Springdale is so much of a better idea than just off the interstate or by the Pinnacle Mall (I still think FAY is the best!).

And in any case, Benton County has space similar to our current space. Have you been to the Arend Arts Center (Bentonville High School), it is close to the WAC in size. I am sure the new Crystal Bridges will also have similar amenities. The WAC has the option to expand into Benton Co without much infrastructure investments. They know that they have a large enough pool of participants that don’t mind coming to Fay to see the productions. They should use that and build a newer facility here and use the Benton Co facilities to research the feasibility of permanent infrastructure. Who knows, there could come a time where the WAC has Benton Co facilities comparable to Washington Co facilities. That isn’t much different that other areas. Seattle, WA and Tacoma, WA are 34 miles apart, Bentonville and Fayetteville are 29. Seattle and Tacoma have several large performing arts centers in each city and several smaller ones in the cities between and around… Why should we be different?

Sorry I ranted so much, I just don’t like what the WAC is doing. I understand the need to expand but I don’t think they are looking at it right. They should expand small into unproven territory, not large.

Very good points.

The only thing I can see in Benton County that would create some synergy with a WAC theater is Crystal Bridges.

Part of why the WAC is so popular on Dickson, IMO is the ability to make going to a show there into an entire night of entertainment. Its great to take a date to Bordinos or 1936 and then to a show, and have some cocktails at CG or Theo's afterwards. Its like a slice of big city right here in our little burg.

Downtown Bentonville doesn't offer that same atmosphere. I won't for quite some time.

After I wrote the last part, I was speaking to my girlfriend whose parrents live in BellaVista, older sister and brother live in Bentonville, and her younger sister goes to school in Bentonville. Well, I let her read what I wrote and then walked her through the points that the WAC has been making (I let my post speak for my opinion). She looked and me and said if the WAC builds a facility outside of Fay then she won't go, period. One of her best nights she has ever had (I even took her to Chicago to see John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma perform with the Chicago Symphony) was when I took her to Bordino's, then to the WAC to see Fiddler on the Roof, then to CG for a drink. So that statement says a lot. And my GF Loves Downtown Bentonville.

That is the problem. Though, I think the WAC will do best in/near its current location, If it should move it should go to another dense area. The reason [i think] the WAC is so successful is because of all the support business in the area. The UofA, Georges, the jewelry stores, the new Inn, the hippy stores (sorry I forgot their names but love them anyways), the bookstores, Bordinos, Grubs, Common Grounds, all of the other eateries, the lights on the square…. The WAC isn’t successful only because it is the WAC, it is that way because of the environment that is created by everything. If the WAC things that moving to an unpopulated/non-dense area is the best idea I fear for the profitability. Yes some business will move to it but the atmosphere will be lost. Going in near the downtown of Bentonville, Rogers, even Springdale is so much of a better idea than just off the interstate or by the Pinnacle Mall (I still think FAY is the best!).

And in any case, Benton County has space similar to our current space. Have you been to the Arend Arts Center (Bentonville High School), it is close to the WAC in size. I am sure the new Crystal Bridges will also have similar amenities. The WAC has the option to expand into Benton Co without much infrastructure investments. They know that they have a large enough pool of participants that don’t mind coming to Fay to see the productions. They should use that and build a newer facility here and use the Benton Co facilities to research the feasibility of permanent infrastructure. Who knows, there could come a time where the WAC has Benton Co facilities comparable to Washington Co facilities. That isn’t much different that other areas. Seattle, WA and Tacoma, WA are 34 miles apart, Bentonville and Fayetteville are 29. Seattle and Tacoma have several large performing arts centers in each city and several smaller ones in the cities between and around… Why should we be different?

Sorry I ranted so much, I just don’t like what the WAC is doing. I understand the need to expand but I don’t think they are looking at it right. They should expand small into unproven territory, not large.

No yeah, I totally see what your saying and agree with you one hundred percent. I was just saying IF they built the new theater in Benton County I thought it might go in those areas after seeing all the development patterns in that county. I completely agree the WAC should most definitely stay on Dickson, but it sounds more and more like that wont happen. Even if they choose a location not too far from Dickson it would still be a win win for Fayetteville, because there would be two sizable theaters in a close radius on/by Dickson St. It would kinda be like how Hammons Hall is on the MSU campus but still basically downtown and walking distance to all the shops/restaurants/bars/etc. here in Springdield. Then there are the smaller theaters, like the WAC, actually in the mix of everything downtown. Someone should form a group called 'Keep the Arts in Fayetteville' or something (?LOL)and really get the word out that the residents of Fayetteville don't want to see the new theater built elsewhere. I know comes down to the politics of it all, but you'd be surprised what some angry citizens can do. BTW, are there any plots of land that a new theater could be built on or near Dickson St.?

I doubt the new Theater will be built in Bentonville. If they do choose to build it in Benton County I would bet it would go in somewhere around the Promenade/Pinnacle area, or maybe off the interstate in Springdale.

I don't know I could see the WAC wanting to try to relocate to somewhere near Crystal Bridges. If the main facility for the WAC had to go to Benton County that's where I'd want it to go. I'd be very disappointed if it went to somewhere along the sprawl of I-540.

Don't apologize. It's nice to see some well thought out responses. While Tacoma and Seattle do have competing arts centers I don't know how well we could do compared to that situation. Obviously that area has a lot bigger population base. I think it would also be likely that the people in that area have more disposable money percentage wise compared to our metro. I'm not saying it can't be done and if the WAC decides to build in Benton County I seriously think Fayetteville needs to weigh those options. But I would want Fayetteville to closely study the situation. Not jump in only to realize that it's just not feasible at this time to have two competing arts center.

Very good points.

The only thing I can see in Benton County that would create some synergy with a WAC theater is Crystal Bridges.

Part of why the WAC is so popular on Dickson, IMO is the ability to make going to a show there into an entire night of entertainment. Its great to take a date to Bordinos or 1936 and then to a show, and have some cocktails at CG or Theo's afterwards. Its like a slice of big city right here in our little burg.

Downtown Bentonville doesn't offer that same atmosphere. I won't for quite some time.

That's a good point that you and the others have mentioned. Some of this is going to come down to timing. Right now Bentonville doesn't have anything like that. But after Crystal Bridges has been open a bit I think you'll start to see something pop up a little bit like Dickson St up there. It won't be the same but I could see them getting something going. I think they'd certainly get something going if the WAC also relocated their main facility to around the Crystal Bridges area. The biggest problem would be waiting for it to develop. It took Dickson St a while to evolve into what it is now.

Wow. What if they built it on MLK near the Mill District? Direct access from I-540, and an entirely new entertainment district would emerge.

Yeah I've been waiting for the Mill District to keep growing and evolve into more of an entertainment district in itself. Something like a new WAC facility would certainly jump start that.

Don't apologize. It's nice to see some well thought out responses. While Tacoma and Seattle do have competing arts centers I don't know how well we could do compared to that situation. Obviously that area has a lot bigger population base. I think it would also be likely that the people in that area have more disposable money percentage wise compared to our metro. I'm not saying it can't be done and if the WAC decides to build in Benton County I seriously think Fayetteville needs to weigh those options. But I would want Fayetteville to closely study the situation. Not jump in only to realize that it's just not feasible at this time to have two competing arts center.

While I see your point about the situation in NWA being different from the Seattle/Tacoma area I partially disagree with your final statement. I think the current facilty in Fayetteville, without the WAC having control over it's events, would be very viable. It is already a well established venue for all types of shows and located in the heart of the largest entertainment district in NWA. As has been mentioned before- Fayetteville and Dickson Street are well known names as entertainment destinations. With the support from the University of Arkansas and it's student groups and groups like Theater Squared providing shows the facilty would be very busy. The facilty is already paid for and would be busy enough to provide operating funds. The fact that many Fayetteville residents would rather attend a show there and have the other experiences possible along Dickson Street would help it along also. There are plenty of options to fill any void left by the WAC leaving.

As for how that would affect the new, larger facilty that the WAC chose to build away from Fayetteville.......I think the deep-pocketed donors that demanded that location would have to come up with more cash to cover the costs that less ticket sales and a loss of support from Fayetteville caused. To me it seems less feasible to build that new, larger facilty away from Fayetteville and since it's not Fayetteville's decision but that of the WAC Board and donors they should be doing the serious studying. Benton County will never have anything like the Dickson Street area-between the cultural differences and political differences I doubt they would want it.

While I see your point about the situation in NWA being different from the Seattle/Tacoma area I partially disagree with your final statement. I think the current facility in Fayetteville, without the WAC having control over it's events, would be very viable. It is already a well established venue for all types of shows and located in the heart of the largest entertainment district in NWA. As has been mentioned before- Fayetteville and Dickson Street are well known names as entertainment destinations. With the support from the University of Arkansas and it's student groups and groups like Theater Squared providing shows the facility would be very busy. The facilty is already paid for and would be busy enough to provide operating funds. The fact that many Fayetteville residents would rather attend a show there and have the other experiences possible along Dickson Street would help it along also. There are plenty of options to fill any void left by the WAC leaving.

As for how that would affect the new, larger facility that the WAC chose to build away from Fayetteville.......I think the deep-pocketed donors that demanded that location would have to come up with more cash to cover the costs that less ticket sales and a loss of support from Fayetteville caused. To me it seems less feasible to build that new, larger facility away from Fayetteville and since it's not Fayetteville's decision but that of the WAC Board and donors they should be doing the serious studying. Benton County will never have anything like the Dickson Street area-between the cultural differences and political differences I doubt they would want it.

Sorry I didn't mean to be misleading. I'm not saying I don't think our area can't support two competing arts centers. But if the WAC does build it's main facility in Benton County. I wouldn't want Fayetteville to just make a knee jerk reaction without taking a close look at what severing ties with the WAC means. While our metro very well could support two arts centers. I don't want us to just assume it will and end up with a floundering arts center that wasn't really prepared. I think a lot of us in Fayetteville would instantly like to cuts ties as soon as a possible announcement was made by the WAC to build in Benton County. I just think if that scenario were to play out, Fayetteville needs to closely examine the whole situation. Resist the temptation to make a quick separation and look into the best way to proceed.

Archived