Lakelander's Road Trip: 1. St. Augustine, FL

bobliocatt

St. Augustine (pop. 11,592) was founded in 1565, and is the oldest continually occupied European settlement in North America. Its located just south of Jacksonville and is considered a part of the Jax metro area.

highrise-vert.jpg

downtown-tower.jpg

City Gates

citywall.jpg

Flager College

fcollege-front.jpg

fcollege-courtyard.jpg

fcollege-sidewalk.jpg

chruch.jpg

City Hall

cityhall.jpg

Downtown Area

corner.jpg

highrise-hor.jpg

alley.jpg

cemetary.jpg

sidewalk.jpg

Historic St. George Street

mainstreet2.jpg

mainstreet1.jpg

gristmill.jpg

Outdoor Dining along A1A

harrys-outdoor.jpg

tavernbay.jpg

Castillo De San Marcos Fort

fort.jpg

Matanzas River & the Bridge of Lions

intercoastal.jpg

Coming Soon: Lakelander's Roadtrip: 2. Charleston, SC

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shots. St. Augustine is great weekend road trip for anybody in Florida. It should be mandatory for any northerner who thinks the south is all new suburban tract-housing.

It can be a little touristy at times, but for the most part it's an easy going town where you can relax in the sun and enjoy yourself.

I haven't been to St. Augustine since I was young, but it is a really neat place.

Charleston's another of my favorites. You have a great choice of vacation destinations. Those old Southern coastal cities have some awesome architecture.

The fort in your St. Augustine photo reminds me of Ft. Gaines & Ft. Morgan in coastal Alabama. I toured Ft. Morgan a couple of days ago, in fact.

Great Photos. You really captured most of the high points of the city. It really takes a visit to see all that St Augustine has to offer though. Truly a great place. However, a visit without a trip to The Columbia (a wonderful Spanish Restaurant) is a visit poorly spent.

Took the short ride up to St. Augustine yesterday and to my surprise there is actually construction in the Spanish Colonial quarter! It is not on St. Georges, but the street parallel to it closest to Matanazas Bay. I asked a construction guy and he said they were building condos! The building is about 3 floors and in the Spanish Colonial style, looks very well done, lots of wood balconies. Then I took a ghost tour (naturally) and the tour guide told me that indeed there are many residents within the historic district and even the smallest little homes go for over $2 million, but its tax free for 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived