Orlando: SoDo (South of Downtown) development

zaadee

Sweet if an Ale House goes in! It'll give Johnny's a run for the area.

Alehouse would be great. I love that place for watching sports and for a sports bar the food is actually decent. The nearest one to downtown now is University but that's just too far to drive after a few pitchers. I think an Alehouse would do gangbuster business in SODO.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spoke to somebody who works there today. it looks like a chain like Athlete's Foot is going in. The Gamestop is also. Panera is showing interest, and they are looking to get an Ale House-type restaurant for the two outparcels fronting Orange. Surface parking is an issue, and I guess they are working it out logistically whether to make people park in the garages or use the second outparcel as a surface lot, which defeats the purpose of the density of the project. They are also considering neighboring future expansion.

The residential portion has 57 units occupied already. not bad. I think there's between 250-300 total.

'The Athlete's Foot' is definitely a go. It will be located in Space 183, across from TJ Maxx.

The following are opened: Super Target, TJ Maxx, Verizon Wireless, and 24 Hour Fitness.

Other confirmations which should open soon: Massage Envy, NailZ Spa, Nature's Table, Gamestop, Wasabi(?) Sushi, Flipper's Pizza (to be located in the same building as TJ Maxx on the opposite corner), Rockin' Joes Coffee, and Mattress Giant.

From what I have heard, the following are also included: Inland Ocean (a surf and skate shop), Miss Trendy (a women's boutique and maybe a salon as well), a Ben and Jerry's, OLV Cafe, Hair Cuttery, Jason's Deli, Smoothie King, South Beach Tan, a cigar bar, a dry cleaner, and a choclatier (kilwin's??).

I would LOVE Panera to be a part of this. I know they already have a location accross the street near(in) the Publix Plaza so I don't know the truth to that they're coming in.

I would also love to see a large bookstore or library go in.

If there is an Alehouse going in, it would have to be on the site next to the Taco Bell, as it seems that at least half of the outparcel building next to the Banco Popular is going to be service/retail.

I'm hoping the office space is leased soon.

yeah. they said if an Ale House type of establishment went in, it might have to take up both outparcels-- one for the bldg. and one for the parking- if they chose that route for parking, that is.

Panera was a "they're interested" more than anything else.

apparently, this development is the most succesful compared to its sister properties in the SW US, or at least it is taking off more quickly...

my intrigue is what might come next from an expansion standpoint.

oh, almost forgot. I was also told that the bordering residences along Grant- if I heard right, may be slated for purchase for a row of restaurants to go in-- its either going to happen or it is a proposal.

Hooray for Wazzabi, Jason's Deli, Ben & Jerry's and the cigar bar, these 4 and the Target are more than enough to keep my business. The Wazzabi in Winter Park is really nice and the food is good so I imagine another one in this location will do well also.

Going back to what JRS1 said, it's funny but I did see a development years ago in South Florida that looked very similar to the finnished product we have in SODO. It was in Broward along US 1 if I remember correctly. It wasn't in the greatest location for this type of development and when I saw it years ago it was nearly empty, I thought it was abandoned at first. I'm sure whatever became of it but I wonder if this is one of the other properties in the SW they are referring to. I have alot of hope for SODO, seems it's off on the right track.

I can totally see this as being yet another catalyst for very dense future development in this sector of ORL. From Michigan St. north, I can see the development of a few high rises for office and residential between Division and a block east of Orange all the way up to Lake Lucerne, as well as way more retail and low rise offices. I think SoDo along with ORHS is making this quadrant very developable for future projects, if that makes any sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else concerned that the Super Target at SODO is struggling mightily? It seems as if every time I frequented the place before during and after Christmas the place was very quiet. I hope that they are doing better than it appears to me. I love having them so close to my house and I'm glad for this development. I just hope in this economy it manages to survive. On another subject someone in this thread mentioned that Publix bought out the Albertsons? Is that true? I assume they were talking about just that store. I hate that they are eliminating their competition. It was nice to have the Albertsons when needing something during the late hours.

this place is very dead i have never had to wait for anything in this store i cant see how much longer it can stay open. I have so many friends that live downtown that dont even know it exists. However i filled a shopping cart full of christmas ornaments and lights and stuff for 40$ and saved over 120$ so i was happy about that.

during december I went their quite a bit and bought a lot of stuff. It's never been packed, but it seems to be getting discovered, as the month dragged on, it got busier and busier. Mattress Giant looks like it opened. 24 hr fitness seems slow, even for it being the beginning of the new year. But it should totally take off.

^^

I think someone posted this already on another thread. Great infill north of ORHS and south of Gore.

Speaking of, Village at Lake Lilly at Lake & Orlando Ave. in Maitland has now gotten it's exterior color put on in the first portion of the main building and it looks sharp; it's two toned whitish and a type of grey; the finishings look good too.

On another subject someone in this thread mentioned that Publix bought out the Albertsons? Is that true? I assume they were talking about just that store. I hate that they are eliminating their competition. It was nice to have the Albertsons when needing something during the late hours.

Publix bought around 40 or so Albertson's stores, with plans to turn most of them into their Greenwise stores.

Publix bought around 40 or so Albertson's stores, with plans to turn most of them into their Greenwise stores.

My understanding is those plans are on hold now. My dad was telling me that the DP Publix now has a TON of Greenwise merchandise, to test if there's reason to open the Greenwise in the old Albertson's

the Publix in WP that took over Albertsons at WP Village:

there is a sizeable amount of product that is Greenwise throughout the entire store; every aisle has Greenwise sections incorporated alongside the regular products. It is also a rather large store.

Driving home on my lunch break there was a guy standing in front of SODO with a store closing sale sign for Albertson's at Michigan and Orange. Anyone know what happened there? I know that wasn't part of the original Albertson's bought by Publix.

Albertsons announced this week they were closing 4 more FL stores: ours on S. Orange plus 1 each in Tally, Ocala and WPB. Cerberus, which owns the FL stores, I suspect has its hands full with other problems at the moment (not the least of which is Chrysler). When the Publix buyout was announced last year, it was noted the Plant City distribution center would not be profitable to operate with the small number of stores left and that Cerberus was likely seeking an exit strategy from the state (Cerberus reportedly would have been happy to unload the whole lot on Publix, but the good folks in Lakeland declined).

i know this place isn't getting the traffic it had hoped, but does anyone wish their was some food options in here?? prob a bad time to put up a new place...but SOMETHING if not the target has to bring in some people....

i eat out way too much, and we often run into tons of places where they are full to the point they will explode, even with the economy we are in...ppl cant get stuck inside for too long!!!

I know there is an Asian place going in at the corner of one of the buildings across TJ Maxx...

oh i think i briefly recall someone mentioning that... i think its one of those crappy "asian" food places tho...panda express or something of the like, bleck! a pei wei might do well there tho!

^^

no, it's another name... I can't remember though... perhaps a sushi place?

all I know is that I know a guy who works for ZOM and I've got an open invite to get a tour of the facility whenever I can get out there... looking forward to it-- if I do, I'll snap some photos and post them.

Archived