Orlando: SoDo (South of Downtown) development

zaadee

I remember that little BK. I think it opened in the early 90's......

I remember it too. I did the BK logo that was on the awning over the front door.

Back on topic, I don't remeber the Royal Castle downtown, I do remember one in Azalea Park and one in Cocoa.

I remember the one in Cocoa too. On the corner of U.S.1 & Dixon Blvd. Ate there as a kid.

I could really see a McDonald's downtown, just because you see them in all great cities, from NYC to Shanghai.

I have always said that & even mentioned it here before to a derisive reply or two I might add. If there's one thing you'll find downtown in every "real" major city, it's a McDonalds. You're not a bona fide big city until you have a McDonald's downtown.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could really see a McDonald's downtown, just because you see them in all great cities, from NYC to Shanghai.

McDonalds was trying to get space on Church Street. I believe Five Guys Burgers beat it out. Hopefully we'll see either on soon.

isn't Five Guys the place that's in the food court at Prime?

That is correct, sir. Also in Uptown Altamonte (the only store there that is consistently busy). Good burgers, too. Best "chain" burgers I've had this side of the West Coast (In n' Out). I would welcome them as another lunch option DT. No mention of a downtown store coming on their website though. There is one going in at Baldwin Park.

True.

I dont even like McDonalds, but would still like to see one downtown. Nothing against Five-Guys, but with Hamburger Marys on Church St., do we really need another (though more fast-food casual) one.

Would like to see some diversity on chruch st..and please no more pizza shops! With Paninos and now NYPD opening, joining the 2 Ginos, Dans Midnight, and Planet Pizza, we have more pizza shops in a 1 block radius than little italy. :dontknow:

And.. I love Pizza too! (nothing beats Metro Espresso, i'd just like to add).

ok, tirade over.

anyway, isnt this the SoDo thread.. anyone have any insight on what may be opening up there? I do have a general security worry about the area down there though. it's not a bad area, but not great. seems a bit transient to me. I'm especially concerned with the large parking complex. one incident can really give it a bad rep.. hopefully some heavily visible security will be in place there.

^^

I've driven from Michigan to Division to Grant and up to Orange several times, and behind McD's and Arbys over there, and it's all industrial. The neighborhood to the north of Grant is... interesting. Other than that, the area behind Chipotle is decent and the opposite corner at Michigan has a large SS.

seems ok to me.

^^

I've driven from Michigan to Division to Grant and up to Orange several times, and behind McD's and Arbys over there, and it's all industrial. The neighborhood to the north of Grant is... interesting. Other than that, the area behind Chipotle is decent and the opposite corner at Michigan has a large SS.

seems ok to me.

I just moved from East Orlando to the area east of the Chipotle. Does anyone know when this thing is gonna open. I'm dying for Super Target to open. They already have the signs on Orange up.

Wow, I love that shot from the outside. I've always thought that it is these kinds of urban and dense mixed-use projects that foster culture OVER TIME. It's important to remember that all cities' original downtowns may they be 30 years old or 300 years old were started with a mixed-use project. Only now is it that mixed-use is being glamourized.

if a few more dense mid rise projects were built in connection to this one, that is certainly were I would want to be

Well I think we're seeing the beginnings of a more dense Orlando. Downtown is the nucleus of the local area (and metro area). To the north, you have Winter Park. Mills-Nebraska, whatever the project is called, will also play an important role in revitalizing that side of Downtown. To the south, you have SoDo. Hopefully that permeates the area south of 408, along with the nice houses near Lake Lucerne. To the East you have Baldwin Park. So I believe we might see a lot of infill. Parramore could be trouble though, but 3 microanchors flanking Downtown can really help infill. I think this can help transform SR 50 between I-4 and Bumby Ave. into an urban corridor, and less auto-oriented. Isn't there a lot of undesirable crap on this stretch of SR 50? The church (at Colonial and Highland) near that small lake is a keeper.

They can start with removing the center left turn lane. I live in New Orleans (looking to move to ORL though) and I hate those things. We don't have any in New Orleans, and traffic moves just fine. Anyway, remove the left turn lane on this stretch of SR 50, and replace it with a raised median with trees, and maybe art.

After that we would hope developers come along and want to build some varying density stuff.

Well I think we're seeing the beginnings of a more dense Orlando. Downtown is the nucleus of the local area (and metro area). To the north, you have Winter Park. Mills-Nebraska, whatever the project is called, will also play an important role in revitalizing that side of Downtown. To the south, you have SoDo. Hopefully that permeates the area south of 408, along with the nice houses near Lake Lucerne. To the East you have Baldwin Park. So I believe we might see a lot of infill. Parramore could be trouble though, but 3 microanchors flanking Downtown can really help infill. I think this can help transform SR 50 between I-4 and Bumby Ave. into an urban corridor, and less auto-oriented. Isn't there a lot of undesirable crap on this stretch of SR 50? The church (at Colonial and Highland) near that small lake is a keeper.

They can start with removing the center left turn lane. I live in New Orleans (looking to move to ORL though) and I hate those things. We don't have any in New Orleans, and traffic moves just fine. Anyway, remove the left turn lane on this stretch of SR 50, and replace it with a raised median with trees, and maybe art.

After that we would hope developers come along and want to build some varying density stuff.

Agree with you--left turn lanes are a colossal waste of space. Welcome to the forum!

don't have pics but Taco Bell is currently building on the outparcel on the southeast corner of the site. It kinda blocks the view of the southern mixed use buildings on the site. Unfortunate.

I too feel like the color scheme is a bit drab, hoping it starts looking better soon. I've noticed a lot more activity along the whole corridor in the past few months.

They put up the sign a couple weeks ago for the target & development as a whole and Banco Popular has a coming soon sign on the site now. Looks like it'll go in at the corner of Orange and Grant.

Someone mentioned that LA Fitness is going in, is that true? I thought it was 24 Hour fitness. If it's LAF, I'll be pleased as punch since I already am a member.

Archived