Orlando: SoDo (South of Downtown) development

zaadee

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was pretty sad to see the quality of of SoDo when I walked around. I was expecting something a little more solid. Much of the trim of this development seems like plastic or fiberglass. How does this stuff hold up, and how will it look in 5 years? A security guard told me he's already seen pieces dented from people walking around, so I guess they can just replace them ... but how many of these pieces will they have to keep in stock to maintain this place for years?

OK, let's look at the details. Solid masonry knee-walls and brick:

post-963-1226701123_thumb.jpg

Solid Aluminum paneling systems:

post-963-1226701238_thumb.jpg

There is more stucco on the northern building - a less superior design than the southern office buildings and target, with it's flagstone base. Overall, show me the location in Orlando with better materials. I guess $100 Million on 26 acres isn't all that good...

OK, let's look at the details. Solid masonry knee-walls and brick:

post-963-1226701123_thumb.jpg

Solid Aluminum paneling systems:

post-963-1226701238_thumb.jpg

There is more stucco on the northern building - a less superior design than the southern office buildings and target, with it's flagstone base. Overall, show me the location in Orlando with better materials. I guess $100 Million on 26 acres isn't all that good...

uh, yeah...

I was a little confused about the quality comment. those office bldg. on the south half-- concrete- brick, etc...

even the residential has brick highlights in parts; mostly wood, but not everyday is a Sunday...

I was referring specifically to the panels that cover some of the columns along the retail areas of the main street, which appear to match the panels higher up on the building. You all certainly know more than me about the construction material of these, but it doesn't change my opinion on the columns sounding pretty cheap when you accidentally cut a corner too close while walking by and they ring hollow inside.

I was referring specifically to the panels that cover some of the columns along the retail areas of the main street, which appear to match the panels higher up on the building. You all certainly know more than me about the construction material of these, but it doesn't change my opinion on the columns sounding pretty cheap when you accidentally cut a corner too close while walking by and they ring hollow inside.

That's fairly common nowadays. I was in a Disney hotel a while back & there was this massive looking column in the lobby. It had to be at least 3 ft in diameter, maybe 4. Had a faux stone finish on the outside & when I rapped on it with my knuckles, it sounded completely hollow. Most likely a vertical steel I-beam inside. But it looked good.

Hey all....

Just an FYI: Look forward to 'The Athlete's Foot' opening doors sometime in the winter months at SoDo.

I'm in the process of figuring out the right product mix for the store. More info to come!!

Judging solely by the company's name, I would suggest keeping generous supplies of "tough-actin" Tinactin, Desenex, Lamisil AT & Lotrimin AF on hand for starters.... :D

I'd like to see a nice arts & crafts & hobby store in there.

Probably too close to the ones on E. Colonial, though.

A.C. Moore just closed down there so did Linens and Things. Michael's is unstable judging by them closing some stores in Orlando. So I don't think these arts and crafts stores could survive a new location. I'm surprised SODO is filling in considering the Publix shopping center has space it needs to lease and the Roadhouse Grill hasn't found a new tennant.

it's going to be interesting to see what happens in that Publix shopping center. So many of the tenants are set back from the road and a bit out of sight. Play It Again Sports moved out of there and relocated to the little strip with Numero Uno and Lido's Restaurant. I think South Orange north of Michigan is becoming a far more attractive location than the Publix center. Plus Albertson's is in a bit of uncertainty since Publix bought them out. The Publix is hopping and so is the Hallmark Store, but the large restaurant on the corner has changed hands/concepts several times now. The space next to Office Depot has changed hands several times, once a gelatto place and now a nail salon.

The gas station at the corner of Orange & Michigan has also closed down and the strip center with the open air laundromat is, I think, entirely vacant right now. Still an area in a lot of transition. Should be interesting to see what happens. SODO is creating a very nice activity center as opposed to the very auto-oriented Publix shopping center (I think it's called SouthChase?)

it's going to be interesting to see what happens in that Publix shopping center. So many of the tenants are set back from the road and a bit out of sight. Play It Again Sports moved out of there and relocated to the little strip with Numero Uno and Lido's Restaurant. I think South Orange north of Michigan is becoming a far more attractive location than the Publix center. Plus Albertson's is in a bit of uncertainty since Publix bought them out. The Publix is hopping and so is the Hallmark Store, but the large restaurant on the corner has changed hands/concepts several times now. The space next to Office Depot has changed hands several times, once a gelatto place and now a nail salon.

The gas station at the corner of Orange & Michigan has also closed down and the strip center with the open air laundromat is, I think, entirely vacant right now. Still an area in a lot of transition. Should be interesting to see what happens. SODO is creating a very nice activity center as opposed to the very auto-oriented Publix shopping center (I think it's called SouthChase?)

There are a lot of older people to the east of Orange & south of Michigan who will likely never abandon their Publix in favor of Super Target. Especially considering that the prices at the Super Target are not that much better than Publix on most regular grocery items, & for people in that area, Publix is closer & easier to get to.

I think it is the Market at Southside or somthing like that. There is another strip center across from Walgreen's that was entirely vacant until a bike shop moved in about a month ago. It just so happened i needed the services of a bike shop at the time and they were really friendly. I don't know if the neighborhood can support it though. There's still a lot of vacant shops to fill.

There are a lot of older people to the east of Orange & south of Michigan who will likely never abandon their Publix in favor of Super Target. Especially considering that the prices at the Super Target are not that much better than Publix on most regular grocery items, & for people in that area, Publix is closer & easier to get to.

true, I think publix will survive just fine. It's just going to be interesting how things shake out. I still frequent Publix. I did some grocery shopping at the Target and I have to disagree about the prices. They were terrific when I went, lots of BOGOs. Lean ground beef was 2 for $7. I find Publix to be pretty pricey overall, even though it's where I prefer to grocery shop.

true, I think publix will survive just fine. It's just going to be interesting how things shake out. I still frequent Publix. I did some grocery shopping at the Target and I have to disagree about the prices. They were terrific when I went, lots of BOGOs. Lean ground beef was 2 for $7. I find Publix to be pretty pricey overall, even though it's where I prefer to grocery shop.

Oh, I agree that their prices are better than Publix, but just not by a substantial margin IMO. The last time I was at ST I found some good special markdowns though, which is something that Publix never does. For me it's worth going once in awhile, if only to get one of their Buffalo chicken wraps & a container of potato wedges for lunch. Yum.

• 2 weeks later...

spoke to somebody who works there today. it looks like a chain like Athlete's Foot is going in. The Gamestop is also. Panera is showing interest, and they are looking to get an Ale House-type restaurant for the two outparcels fronting Orange. Surface parking is an issue, and I guess they are working it out logistically whether to make people park in the garages or use the second outparcel as a surface lot, which defeats the purpose of the density of the project. They are also considering neighboring future expansion.

The residential portion has 57 units occupied already. not bad. I think there's between 250-300 total.

spoke to somebody who works there today. it looks like a chain like Athlete's Foot is going in. The Gamestop is also. Panera is showing interest, and they are looking to get an Ale House-type restaurant for the two outparcels fronting Orange. Surface parking is an issue, and I guess they are working it out logistically whether to make people park in the garages or use the second outparcel as a surface lot, which defeats the purpose of the density of the project. They are also considering neighboring future expansion.

The residential portion has 57 units occupied already. not bad. I think there's between 250-300 total.

Sweet if an Ale House goes in! It'll give Johnny's a run for the area.

Archived