Orlando: SoDo (South of Downtown) development

zaadee

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the whole development and I know it is one of the busiest areas in the day but is there any any night time traffic in that area?

there's not a whole lot of traffic, but most of the restaurants stay open til 9 or 10. Pulse definitely gets a crowd and its patrons use a lot of the onstreet parking along Orange. The hospitals generate a bit of traffic too as people come and go for visiting hours and shift changes. My daughter works at the starbucks and they're pretty steady in the afternoons/evenings. I imagine things will pick up a lot after SODO opens.

Hopefully more projects like this will sprout up in the area so that one day it won't be SoDo, but it will just be Orlando. I mean that it would be nice if one day SoDo isn't looked at as a microcosm project, but just a piece of a larger conglolmeration. On a larger scale, noone refers to individual projects by their names in Manhattan. It's just Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...

My initial reaction to reading that was "that would suck" because I shop there whenever they have a good sale going on. I also like to go thru their bakery's mark-down rack. Have gotten some great deals on pastries etc. But then I figured if the Super Target's prices are as good as I'm hoping, then who cares? Maybe a Sav-A-Lot will go in there in it's place. That would be OK.

As long as my Publix stays open.

I certainly hope this isn't the final color scheme they're gonna go with.

I was hoping the entire complex would be lively & colorful.

As of right now it looks drab & dull.

I think the color scheme is awesome, as soon as I saw the pictures, I thought very hip, very mod. By colorful I hope you don't mean sending Orlando back in time to the teal, pink and aquas. I for one hope they keep the color scheme, one bad elemement to Winter Park Village is the flashy neon Regal Cinema at the end of the street, it takes away from the urban feel and look of an otherwise cool, in town development. The new colors at Fashion Square have definetely updated the look of that mall, finally getting rid of the teal, pink, etc. Altamonte finally has changed those tired colors and fits in nicely with Uptown Alt. and the theater. Head a few miles north to Seminole Town Center and it is in desperate need of renovation, although I'd say Colonial Town Park at least adds some hipness close by that area on the Heathrow side. But the mall fits right in with the exburbs of Deltona, Orange City, etc. I was recently in Countryside Mall in Clearwater and that place looks like no renovations have taken place since its opening. Makes me think that end of Pinellas county is too lame and suburban. The Dayton Mall that I used to go to in the 80's is still stuck on those bright colors. Anyway, the color at SoDo is verrrrry cool!

I think the color scheme is awesome, as soon as I saw the pictures, I thought very hip, very mod. By colorful I hope you don't mean sending Orlando back in time to the teal, pink and aquas. I for one hope they keep the color scheme, one bad elemement to Winter Park Village is the flashy neon Regal Cinema at the end of the street, it takes away from the urban feel and look of an otherwise cool, in town development.

Actually, color & design wise, I was kind of hoping for something vaguely similar to this...

TAU4803.jpg

Or this. Sans overhead walkway of course.

CIMG0461.JPG

Flashy is not necessarily a bad thing.

There is a rumor that the Albertson's on Michagan and Orange will close...

Speculation has it that the Albertson's in Dr. Phillip's will become a Publix Greenwise to compete with the new Whole Foods in the ara. I am certain the Albertson's on Orange & Michigan is a prime spot for a Greenwise market. I'm surprised that no one in Whole Foods decided to look into SoDo for a location... a shame too!

My parents can't stop raving about how nice the Dr. Phillips Whole Foods is but they keep hearing that the store is having trouble business-wise. Has anyone else heard the same? If so, turning the Albertsons into a Greenwise couldn't help the Whole Foods situation.

^^

I agree. the place was packed every time I've gone by there.

True. I am seeing the same. But, maybe the financials are not matching up. Anyway, IMO, though i like it, I dont see much financial longevity in the Whole Foods style markets, it's basically a specialty market (alla Dagastinos, Trader Joes) on steriods. I'm just not convinced the business model can keep up this market style on such a large scale and remain financially solid in the long term. Just still seems a bit faddish to me, so not sure where they'll be in 10 years or so. I'd hate to see a bunch of them open up everywhere to only have them turn into vacant spaces in 10 years. There's nothing worse than a vacant super market in a neighborhood, (a major eyesore).. but on the plus side at least there would be a lot of places for seasonal Halloween stores! :unsure:

Business Journal reports that besides the Dr. Philllips Greenwise - the other area one is going to be the current Publix on 17/92 in Winter Park - that Publix will become a Greenwise and Publix is moving into the Albertson's in Winter Park Village... just my two cents but if they really wanted the new Paramount Publix to be a success - they should have built that as a Greenwise instead ;-) something to draw more than just the daily grocery shopper... but overall very excited about a Greenwise in downtown area - has anyone been to the ones in Boca or WPB? I hear one in Hyde Park in Tampa is also opening soon -could be nice competition to Whole Foods from a Florida company!

Business Journal reports that besides the Dr. Philllips Greenwise - the other area one is going to be the current Publix on 17/92 in Winter Park - that Publix will become a Greenwise and Publix is moving into the Albertson's in Winter Park Village... just my two cents but if they really wanted the new Paramount Publix to be a success - they should have built that as a Greenwise instead ;-) something to draw more than just the daily grocery shopper... but overall very excited about a Greenwise in downtown area - has anyone been to the ones in Boca or WPB? I hear one in Hyde Park in Tampa is also opening soon -could be nice competition to Whole Foods from a Florida company!

for real? I'm losing my Publix in WP?

As for the Albertson's, that's a pretty decent store. Publix should do well in that bldg.

I am certain the Albertson's on Orange & Michigan is a prime spot for a Greenwise market. I'm surprised that no one in Whole Foods decided to look into SoDo for a location... a shame too!

I asked one of the managers at that Albertsons if they were going to close & she said no.

I can't see Publix opening up another store 200 feet away from an existing one even if the new one did have a fancy-shmancy name.

That's not to say that the Albertson's won't close though.

That new Super Target might put them out of business.

I asked one of the managers at that Albertsons if they were going to close & she said no.

I can't see Publix opening up another store 200 feet away from an existing one even if the new one did have a fancy-shmancy name.

That's not to say that the Albertson's won't close though.

That new Super Target might put them out of business.

If Publix is opening a geenwise in DP's Albertsons (which I had assumed since it only made sense) Then Publix should have no problem putting one in Albertson's at Orange and Michigan should it close. If it weren't for the Walgreen's CNL and some trees, the DP Publix and Albertson's would be eyeshot from each other. Hell! the starbucks already are in that corner.

The Longwood Albertson's is going to be a Publix as well. I kind of suspect one of the Publix's in the Altamonte Springs / Longwood area wil become a Greenwise. Why? Because there are six Publix stores within a 5 mile radius and a Fresh Market across the street froom one of them. Publix is over saturated in Orlando, but I could bike ride to five of their stores in 20 minutes.

There only over saturated if they aren't busy. And all the publix stores around town i go to are extemely busy, with the exception of baldwin park. usually cant find parking right away in college park or colonial town. Besides i think most customers are going to be walk in at the lake eola publix. Lunch time crowd, and condo owners and renters will be the main customers for this store, they will also get a alot of people that work around there stopping in to pick up something for dinner quick after work.

The Longwood Albertson's is going to be a Publix as well. I kind of suspect one of the Publix's in the Altamonte Springs / Longwood area wil become a Greenwise. Why? Because there are six Publix stores within a 5 mile radius and a Fresh Market across the street froom one of them. Publix is over saturated in Orlando, but I could bike ride to five of their stores in 20 minutes.

Archived