Orlando: SoDo (South of Downtown) development

zaadee

The Longwood Albertson's is going to be a Publix as well. I kind of suspect one of the Publix's in the Altamonte Springs / Longwood area wil become a Greenwise. Why? Because there are six Publix stores within a 5 mile radius and a Fresh Market across the street froom one of them. Publix is over saturated in Orlando, but I could bike ride to five of their stores in 20 minutes.

There are a few reasons Publix can pull off so many stores. First, they are aiming for the same market penetration as they have in south FL, where they control 60% of the market (last I checked, they were still #1 at 45% here, but that leaves lots of room for growth if you believe you can hit 60). Also, as the market leader, Publix has followed the theory of traffic patterns since the 1980's, which they borrowed from McDonald's - actual geographic distance is less important than being along all the major traffic patterns. In congested urban areas, a store just a mile away may see totally different drivers going by as they head in different directions.

Also, there are a lot fewer grocery stores than there used to be, particularly in town. Growing up in College Park, along a mile-long stretch of Edgewater Drive you could shop at Winn-Dixie, Publix, Fairway or Food Fair (and there was another Winn-Dixie just over in Fairvilla plus the A&P up past Bishop Moore at Fairbanks). Now, all that's left is the Publix. The population of College Park is no less now, so unless they want to leave the neighborhood, they all crowd into one store where once there were four or more to choose from.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Target opens October 12 to the general public. The address is the southeast corner of South Orange Avenue and West Grant Street. Target is addressed as 120 W Grant Street. 2380 S Orange Avenue will get you right in front of SoDo.

Much thanks.

Actually, color & design wise, I was kind of hoping for something vaguely similar to this...

TAU4803.jpg

Or this. Sans overhead walkway of course.

CIMG0461.JPG

Flashy is not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree, the above isn't bad, except Disney went through those colors everywhere back in the 90s so from an Orlando point of view these colors have been done a lot down in the tourist sector.

True, but I was just hoping to see something with a little verve & zest up here in localville.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about that same style per se, but just something with some snazzy-jazzy design elements & eye catching color schemes.

I'm tired of frickin beige & tan.

Too much vanilla.

True, but I was just hoping to see something with a little verve & zest up here in localville.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about that same style per se, but just something with some snazzy-jazzy design elements & eye catching color schemes.

I'm tired of frickin beige & tan.

Too much vanilla.

At least the red & white McDonald's with the Golden Arches have made a comeback!

I think I can see pat of this project when I'm on I-4 West. Correct?

yes... it's visible from I-4. look south of ORHS's lights and you can see the rooftop parking of the target. I'm sure when the residential portion opens up and lights up, it will also be visible.

• 3 weeks later...

when I first saw those renderings, I was thinking what a pipe dream unrealistic project... shows you how much I know. Orlando is really blessed right now with retail; just think of what's here in terms of unique-type of retail:

We've got SoDo opening up this week-- the Target and TJ Maxx, perhaps the most unique ones in the State or even the US. Reminds me in a way of Dadeland North retail complex- it's like the only thing that comes close for the type of retail that it is.

We just had the Publix open up inside Paramount-- pretty unique-- most unique Publix in Fla. alongside the one if Ft. L-- which is stand alone.

We had the Ikea open up last year-- very unique store;

Pointe Orlando was renovated and is super-unique any way you slice it next to the OCCC;

Dellagio is nearing completion at Restaurant Row-- that is a Wow! project.

Prime is the nation's largest Prime center and just opend phase II months ago.

Premium will be the nation's 2nd largest Premium once it's expansion is completed.

The Loop (the US 192 retail destroyer) opened phase II several months ago and is the flagship Loop property;

Waterford Lakes T.C. was/is the state's largest open air retail center.

Park Ave.-- for what it is, it is the most unique retail strip in Florida perhaps up there- but different- with Las Olas and Worth Ave- only diff. is that Worth has dept. stores as well. it has seen new retail opening and new infrastructure over the past 9 years.

Downtown Celebration- much more successful than Downtown Baldwin (give it time); and also innovative when begun in 1996.

Millenia Mall- arguably the nicest in Fla- of its size (Intl. Plaza has its moments; Bal Harbor I think is smaller)

Downtown Disney & Citywalk-- it goes without saying how unique those two retail projects are.

I think the state of retail in CFLA is quite strong right now.

when I first saw those renderings, I was thinking what a pipe dream unrealistic project... shows you how much I know. Orlando is really blessed right now with retail; just think of what's here in terms of unique-type of retail:

We've got SoDo opening up this week-- the Target and TJ Maxx, perhaps the most unique ones in the State or even the US. Reminds me in a way of Dadeland North retail complex- it's like the only thing that comes close for the type of retail that it is.

We just had the Publix open up inside Paramount-- pretty unique-- most unique Publix in Fla. alongside the one if Ft. L-- which is stand alone.

We had the Ikea open up last year-- very unique store;

Pointe Orlando was renovated and is super-unique any way you slice it next to the OCCC;

Dellagio is nearing completion at Restaurant Row-- that is a Wow! project.

Prime is the nation's largest Prime center and just opend phase II months ago.

Premium will be the nation's 2nd largest Premium once it's expansion is completed.

The Loop (the US 192 retail destroyer) opened phase II several months ago and is the flagship Loop property;

Waterford Lakes T.C. was/is the state's largest open air retail center.

Park Ave.-- for what it is, it is the most unique retail strip in Florida perhaps up there- but different- with Las Olas and Worth Ave- only diff. is that Worth has dept. stores as well. it has seen new retail opening and new infrastructure over the past 9 years.

Downtown Celebration- much more successful than Downtown Baldwin (give it time); and also innovative when begun in 1996.

Millenia Mall- arguably the nicest in Fla- of its size (Intl. Plaza has its moments; Bal Harbor I think is smaller)

Downtown Disney & Citywalk-- it goes without saying how unique those two retail projects are.

I think the state of retail in CFLA is quite strong right now.

You forgot the new development in Winter Garden.

I'm not a huge fan on Waterford Lakes. I wish they had built some apartments or offices above the stores. I think some dentist & doctor offices would have been really nice there. Or at least make some of the place 2 floors.

You forgot the new development in Winter Garden.

I'm not a huge fan on Waterford Lakes. I wish they had built some apartments or offices above the stores. I think some dentist & doctor offices would have been really nice there. Or at least make some of the place 2 floors.

they did that-- on the other side of Alafaya at the Fountains or Towers at Waterford Lakes development where the HD is. Fowler's grove is ultra nice, yes.

Archived