One Glenwood

ChiefJoJo

I just saw this article discussing Andy Sandman's plans for the intersection of Glenwood & Hillsborough St:

The development team that built the 10-story The Paramount condominium building is at it again - this time with a project three times larger that would rise at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Hillsborough Street.

Raleigh lawyer and real estate investor Andy Sandman is finalizing plans for a mixed-use building tentatively called One Glenwood that could stand between 20 and 30 stories high with around 200 condominium units, ground-floor retail and a parking garage.

"We are just getting into the design," says Sandman, lead developer of the project. He wouldn't reveal too many other details about the building's design, but he says his team is committed to the project.

The interesting thing is it might be another version of this project description, which would be the same location that Blvd Centro had previously been looking into for a condo tower. Incidentally, anyone that has a subscription to TBJ, fill us in.

Other discussions of project rumors in that area can be found here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well one possibility is that you can figure the exact spot from the name, assuming the name is based on the address. ;)

There's two possible addresses for "One Glenwood":

1 Glenwood Ave would be smack right on top of Snoopy's. (Dive Bar is at 3 Glenwood Ave.)

1 South Glenwood Ave would be on top of the Sign Shop.

The west side of Glenwood, between Hillsborough and Morgan, is the location of P.Y. Hair Designs, which has an address of 8 S. Glenwood.

Glenwood, above Hillsborough, has odd numbers on west side and even on east.

S. Glenwood, the block between Hillsborough and Morgan, is the opposite....even numbers on the west side and odd numbers on the east.

So either:

A) They're gonna be 1 Glenwood Ave, on top of Snoopy's,

B) They're gonna be 1 S. Glenwood Ave, on top of the Sign shop, or

C) They're gonna be on top of P.Y. Hair designs...and they goofed and need to rename the devlopment as an even number.

Side note.....am I a map geek or what?? ;)

I just saw this article discussing Andy Sandman's plans for the intersection of Glenwood & Hillsborough St:

The development team that built the 10-story The Paramount condominium building is at it again - this time with a project three times larger that would rise at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Hillsborough Street.

Raleigh lawyer and real estate investor Andy Sandman is finalizing plans for a mixed-use building tentatively called One Glenwood that could stand between 20 and 30 stories high with around 200 condominium units, ground-floor retail and a parking garage.

"We are just getting into the design," says Sandman, lead developer of the project. He wouldn't reveal too many other details about the building's design, but he says his team is committed to the project.

The interesting thing is it might be another version of this project, which would be on the east side of Glenwood at Hillsborough St (assuming the map on that site is correct) where the sign shop is located. But it also could be the same location that Blvd Centro had been looking into for a condo tower. My sense is that for something as large as this, it's more likely to be the western side of Glenwood, as the sign shop's strip of land is very small and oddly shaped, whereas the western side is plenty big. Incidentally, anyone that has a subscription to TBJ, fill us in.

Other discussions of project rumors in that area can be found here.

Well one possibility is that you can figure the exact spot from the name, assuming the name is based on the address. ;)

There's two possible addresses for "One Glenwood":

1 Glenwood Ave would be smack right on top of Snoopy's. (Dive Bar is at 3 Glenwood Ave.)

1 South Glenwood Ave would be on top of the Sign Shop.

The west side of Glenwood, between Hillsborough and Morgan, is the location of P.Y. Hair Designs, which has an address of 8 S. Glenwood.

Glenwood, above Hillsborough, has odd numbers on west side and even on east.

S. Glenwood, the block between Hillsborough and Morgan, is the opposite....even numbers on the west side and odd numbers on the east.

So either:

A) They're gonna be 1 Glenwood Ave, on top of Snoopy's,

B) They're gonna be 1 S. Glenwood Ave, on top of the Sign shop, or

C) They're gonna be on top of P.Y. Hair designs...and they goofed and need to rename the devlopment as an even number.

Side note.....am I a map geek or what?? ;)

^^ the TBJ article seemed pretty clear...its going on the site of chiropractic office, directly accross glenwood from the sign shop. Funky site...lots of fill dirt and cuts to adjacent property, but an important area to be developed. If I had my choice i'd put the 8-10 story building (by York)here and put 25-30 stories where Marsh was. Jojo, you might be in shadows all the time now would be my only real concern.

TBJ has now posted the entire article.

"We set the bar with the Paramount, which became the standard in downtown Raleigh, and now we're trying to raise the standard again," he says. "This is going to be an incredible building."

The One Glenwood project will be about seven blocks south on the east side of the block bound by Glenwood Avenue, Hillsborough Street and West Morgan Street. Land acquisition hasn't been completed, but one tract is occupied by Chisholm Chiropractic.

It would be only one block away from property that York Properties and HBS Properties are assembling for an eight- to 10-story retail and office building at the corner of Hillsborough Street and West Street, as well as two hotels being planned by Winston Hospitality, an 80-room Aloft hotel and a 120-room Hampton Inn.

"That's three decent-sized projects within a block and a half there on Hillsborough Street," says Dan Douglas, director of the city of Raleigh's Urban Design Center. The properties will tie into an intermodal transportation plan being developed by the HDR Inc. consulting firm.

Also nearby on Hillsborough Street, Campbell University announced in October that it is moving its law school to the Hillsborough Place office building at 225 Hillsborough St., and the Raleigh City Council approved development plans for a 25-story hotel and condominium building planned by Ted Reynolds and his son David Reynolds.

Most of the buildings along that stretch of Hillsborough Street are one- and two-story office and retail buildings that probably should be redeveloped for more dense projects leading into downtown Raleigh, says York Properties Chairman Smedes York.

"This is a central part of the city and a great area for redevelopment to happen," York says. "This is an area you don't have much objection to development because everyone realizes that's the best place to increase density."

OK, so clearly, this is the site, which was formerly going to be acquired by TME/Blvd Centro. I suppose they backed out, and opened up the opportunity for Sandman to come in and develop it.

I must say, this is the perfect site for a large building... near TTA/TMC, etc, but 20+ stories is really hard to imagine right now on a site with two dinky old wood houses, and a bunch of asphalt parking. Man, with all the projects on the west side of DT near Hillsborough St (Hue, Reynolds, Winston, HBS/York, and now One Glenwood), you absolutely will not recognize that area at all in 4 years. Amazing!!!

I read the article before coming here and I do think they meant to say west as that only make sense. I just wonder how much of the total block they will take over as that entire block is prime for total development. I have a friend whose really good friend owns the stereo shop and lives above it and he has been on hold for a long time as he does not own that building.(I don't think he does). If not, he has to be shooting himself.

I think this is the perfect location for large redevelopment. Will be interesting to see if someone like Crowder comes in and votes against big development here.

Is this within the Downtown Overlay District? If so, it should get density bonuses for being near the proposed TTA station and street level retail. The city requested/required the Paramounted to offer 1,000 sq ft of retail, but this project is using the first floor retail as a selling point for this project.

This will solidify the west end of the "zig zag" through downtown. How many residneces and hotel rooms need to be proposed before TTA starts talking about rail service to the proposed multi-modal station again?

I read the article before coming here and I do think they meant to say west as that only make sense. I just wonder how much of the total block they will take over as that entire block is prime for total development. I have a friend whose really good friend owns the stereo shop and lives above it and he has been on hold for a long time as he does not own that building.(I don't think he does). If not, he has to be shooting himself.

I think this is the perfect location for large redevelopment. Will be interesting to see if someone like Crowder comes in and votes against big development here.

This will quite visible from Boylan Heights and the mayors house...will be interesting to see how he and the neighborhood react. I do have the gut feeling that stuff this tall maybe was understood to be east of the railroad tracks for another 20 years or so. This lot is horribly underutilized though and its a huge boon to rail plans. I hope it has a better exterior design than Paramount, which I was not terribly fond of. I am open minded and hopeful nonetheless, and continue to be excited for Hillsborough St.

This will quite visible from Boylan Heights and the mayors house...will be interesting to see how he and the neighborhood react. I do have the gut feeling that stuff this tall maybe was understood to be east of the railroad tracks for another 20 years or so. This lot is horribly underutilized though and its a huge boon to rail plans. I hope it has a better exterior design than Paramount, which I was not terribly fond of. I am open minded and hopeful nonetheless, and continue to be excited for Hillsborough St.

I think that Paramount actually does have a tiny retail space right at the corner of Johnson and Boylan. It's my understanding that it was put there just to meet some city requirement allowing for increased density. To the best of my knowledge, It is not occupied, and there are no plans to find a tenant.

But it seems that the condo market will be overbuilt and the apartment market will be underbuilt. So many young people want to live downtown, and can't afford condos, and can't find apartments.

Is this really the case, though? I could point to several DT apartments available for rental right now.

Well, maybe we should qualify that as: nice, affordable, and modern, downtown apartments.

Now don't get me wrong...I love a good old historic building as much as the next guy. :) But you can't fill up your goal of a downtown that's a "24/7" city with about 90% of the apartments built before WWII. I myself lived in Cameron Court in my early-to-mid 20s...but my needs outgrew it pretty quickly. ^_^

So....of those "several DT apartments available for rental right now", how many can you point to that have washer/dryer hookups, central air, maybe a dishwasher, and...most importantly...wiring that isn't so out of date that modern electronics like computers and TVs burn a fuse on a near-monthly basis?

I doubt many. ;)

(And if so...I'd love to hear about it.)

Anyways...sorry to get off-topic there. Whether this building ends up being condos or apartments, the end result of having more residents downtown is always good news!

^^ I agree with the general consensus, I will paint a little more vividly....there is a type of person who wants to live downtown but is not the pioneering type. Those people are flocking to Oberlin Court (I know its really not downtown, but to these folks its plenty close enough). These folks also did not eat at the Rockford when it was the only restaurant on Glenwood. Cameron Court does have places for rent...their sign out front says "vintage apartments for rent". 712 Tucker will be the first real shot at providing for the "new Urbanists" I will call them....urbanists who require new buildings with typical amenities, safety from noise and panhandling. Urban pioneers, obviously were first, will live in and may even prefer places like Cameron Court, shop at School Kids Records, eat at Irregardless, prefer Morning Times to Starbucks........this is all a finer variation of Urban vs. Suburban....like I coined earlier...the new urbans...or the new downtowners or something....maybe its time to take this to another thread.....

Hey, I hope all the DT apartments are full and they build a ton of new ones, which fill up as well.

I've just heard people claim that they'd "love to live downtown," but there just aren't options. A lot of times, I think this is just an excuse for not wanting to leave their suburban comfort zones.

People aren't very aware of what is available downtown. When apartment browsing, most people turn to the Apartment Guide and others like it, which has almost zero inside the beltline options in it. Plus, a lot of people get turned off because it is assumed that all places are going to cost as much as Oberlin Court in downtown. It does take cajones to move downtown before it's the latest 'hip' or trendy thing to do. I commend all who did so years ago.

I saw the article, too, and have driven by the site several times since then. I think the ground-level retail will be a great anchor for Glenwood South and a perfect transition from that area to downtown "proper".

I can see this site from my office window, and I think the 20-story plan will be GREAT. While it may seem a bit large for that area now, if you look at it in the context of Bloomsbury, Quorum and the other higher-intensity residential development in the area, even Dawson and Hue-- and all of those just aren't that far from this site-- it makes perfect sense. I agree that when one considers that residential floors aren't as tall as office buildings, so when you add in the Reynolds building it's actually in perfect scale as a transition from the low-rise area around NCSU to the high-rise and more intense areas of downtown.

PLUS (and I think this is the most important aspect), this density of development is EXACTLY what's needed if there's ever a hope of getting rail transit off the ground. I'm really excited about the announcement, and look forward to seeing some renderings. It could be a dramatic addition to the skyline.

:thumbsup:

PLUS (and I think this is the most important aspect), this density of development is EXACTLY what's needed if there's ever a hope of getting rail transit off the ground. I'm really excited about the announcement, and look forward to seeing some renderings. It could be a dramatic addition to the skyline.

Archived