Vanderbilt Stadium

L'burgnative

I was reading somewhere that Vanderbilt Stadium is about to go through a much need massive renovation project. I can't remember where I read it, nor did it give very much details, does anyone have any info on this?

Here are a few sites I found on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_Stadium

"Future plans for the stadium call for its renovation, changing the flavor of the facility to the brick-and-iron style of nearby Hawkins Field, Vanderbilt's baseball stadium, along with construction of a football facility in place of the present concourse and JumboTron. On July 24, 2007, Vanderbilt officials announced they were in the preliminary stages of a stadium renovation plan, with financing, design concept, and date of completion still up in the air.[1 The stadium served as Nashville's main outdoor stadium until the completion of what is now LP Field in 1999."

http://www.footballfoundation.com/news.php?id=1238

Vanderbilt is studying a remodeling plan for Vanderbilt Stadium to include new brick veneers and a "Brickyard" nickname to the 85-year-old facility...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was reading somewhere that Vanderbilt Stadium is about to go through a much need massive renovation project. I can't remember where I read it, nor did it give very much details, does anyone have any info on this?

Here are a few sites I found on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_Stadium

"Future plans for the stadium call for its renovation, changing the flavor of the facility to the brick-and-iron style of nearby Hawkins Field, Vanderbilt's baseball stadium, along with construction of a football facility in place of the present concourse and JumboTron. On July 24, 2007, Vanderbilt officials announced they were in the preliminary stages of a stadium renovation plan, with financing, design concept, and date of completion still up in the air.[1 The stadium served as Nashville's main outdoor stadium until the completion of what is now LP Field in 1999."

http://www.footballfoundation.com/news.php?id=1238

Vanderbilt is studying a remodeling plan for Vanderbilt Stadium to include new brick veneers and a "Brickyard" nickname to the 85-year-old facility...

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind going to the occassional Vandy game if the seating wasn't so uncomfortable. At least you can stretch out for most games (like Saturday, when only 26,000 showed up). But if there is a big game, then you will be squeezed in between fans of the other team.

If they put in chair seats, and improve the concessions and restrooms and create a unique ivy league ambience maybe they will start attracting more locals to their games.

And, oh yeah, bring Jay Cutler back, too!

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind going to the occassional Vandy game if the seating wasn't so uncomfortable. At least you can stretch out for most games (like Saturday, when only 26,000 showed up). But if there is a big game, then you will be squeezed in between fans of the other team.

If they put in chair seats, and improve the concessions and restrooms and create a unique ivy league ambience maybe they will start attracting more locals to their games.

And, oh yeah, bring Jay Cutler back, too!

i think vanderbilt would be very wise to build a beautiful brick laden football stadium. I think they'd see a surge in attendance by alums regardless of how well the team played. uva has a great stadium and a rich tradition of tailgating and attendance. every game is a classy coctail party and i can't help but think this would occur at vandy too if they had something more than the glorified high school stadium there now.

In the past, Vanderbilt's marketing of it's football tickets seems to have been "Buy a ticket and watch your favorite SEC team beat up the Commodores". They are playing more competitively now, but how long that will last, I don't know.

But, they need to sell season tickets locally and maybe thay can do it creating a unique, comfortable environment so people can watch the highest caliber SEC teams at a reasonable price. Vandy will never have the traditional SEC game day experience where 85,000 fans tailgate and pack a crowded, raucus stadium. They will have to create a comfortable, convenient atmosphere for fans of college football in general, who may become Vandy fans sometime in the future.

They have a beautiful, quirky, brick-lined baseball stadium tucked in a corner of the campus, requiring a "green monster" type wall in the outfield. Something with that kind of character might make it a signature structure on a national basis like Cal-Berklely's stadium (which I have seen and is the perfect example of a stadium that identifies the college). They need something that tags it as 'Vanderbilt' immediately in the minds of football fans around the country.

I would recommend:

> Chair seats throughout

> Brick and ivy lined walls around the football field

> Some unique, signature feature in the northeast corner of the stadium that would be framed by the Nashville skyline in TV shots. Perhaps a tall pedestal with a Commodore statue that would display pyrotechnics after a touchdown or win. The structure would be seen from West End and promote the experience all year long..

Archived