The Churches of Grand Rapids

tamias6

Known also as St. Francis de Sales and one of the few brutalist works that I like. Maybe because it was done by the master of brutalism, Marcel Breuer.

The "ski slope" church at Plymouth and Burton is Immaculate Heart of Mary. I attended Mass there in September -- the interior looks like it is being worked on, so it was a little underwhelming.

Though not a church, add to the lexicon of great West Michigan religious structures Temple Emmanuel on East Fulton, one of the last works by the great German modernist Erich Mendelsohn.

I also like St. Jude's in Northeast GR. I don't know the architect. Also, Trinity Lutheran at the intersection of East Fulton and Cascade Drive SE -- nice mid-century modernist interpretation.

What GR doesn't have is the traditional white clapboard New England Congregational church so famous from the tourist postcards. There may be such churches elsewhere in Michigan. For example, visit Vermontville, not far from Battle Creek, and you think you have been transported 700 miles east, right down to the village green. Also Stockbridge, located north of Jackson. The Yankees brought their architecture and their ideas of village planning with them.

Wow. Great adds to the list!!! I've got to put my camera in the car and spend an afternoon driving around. Today's weather makes me wish I wasn't chained to my desk.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What GR doesn't have is the traditional white clapboard New England Congregational church so famous from the tourist postcards. There may be such churches elsewhere in Michigan. For example, visit Vermontville, not far from Battle Creek, and you think you have been transported 700 miles east, right down to the village green. Also Stockbridge, located north of Jackson. The Yankees brought their architecture and their ideas of village planning with them.

Not an "in town" church, but in the GR area....

One that surprised me was St Patrick's parish on Cannonsburg and Parnell. I've lived in GR for nearly 35 years of my life and never ventured that far down Cannonsburg until this summer. Quite the shock to see a building that large standing out all by itself on that corner.

St Patrick Parish

Not an "in town" church, but in the GR area....

One that surprised me was St Patrick's parish on Cannonsburg and Parnell. I've lived in GR for nearly 35 years of my life and never ventured that far down Cannonsburg until this summer. Quite the shock to see a building that large standing out all by itself on that corner.

St Patrick Parish

That is a wonderful building. From the name of the town and the name of the parish, you can guess what ethnic group was involved in that parish.

I hope that some of our intrepid photogs can take some interior pictures of these great buildings. I am sure that if they are open, the clergy or staff would not mind a few pictures so long as they are not taken during services.

Hey all I hardly ever post on here...more of a spectator! Anyway...if I knew how to post pics I have HUNDREDS of pics of the interiors of most all the churches in GR. I'm an organist and have played in many of the churches around town. Next to my love for the organ is my love for church architecture! If someone could give me a crash course in how to post (easily) that'd be great! :)

Hey all I hardly ever post on here...more of a spectator! Anyway...if I knew how to post pics I have HUNDREDS of pics of the interiors of most all the churches in GR. I'm an organist and have played in many of the churches around town. Next to my love for the organ is my love for church architecture! If someone could give me a crash course in how to post (easily) that'd be great! :)

Sure Chris, you can check out this thread here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Image-Posting-t7779.html

Essentially you need to find a photo hosting site to put your photos, and then link them to here. I use flickr, but others use photobucket and other sites listed in that info thread.

Since you don't have enough posts yet to send a PM, if you run into problems or have questions, post them in the Photo of the Day thread instead of here, to keep things moving along, and I'll try to address them.

Thanks.

I remember attending free weekly organ recitals at Calvin Chapel years ago. I believe they were held every Thursday. The organ itself is a small 2 manual 30 rank tracker action instrument. But its sound was colorful, dynamic and very powerful. I miss those recitals . Does anybody know if Calvin College chapel still holds organ recitals?

I don't know about Calvin but I'm a member at Park Congregational downtown and we're having an organ concert this Sunday November 4th at 4 pm. Jean Baptiste Robin is playing who apparently is one of the best organists in the world and our organ was recently described in a local punk rag as "the John Holmes of pipe organs" plus we have all the great Tiffany stained glass windows. All are welcome, we're not evangelical and it's free...

Here's a shot of First Methodist Church on Fulton St. This imposing church is built in the Tutor-Gothic style.

1832375954_bf55eee41a_o.jpg

An Interior shot of the Chancel pulled from the Internet. Flanking the choir stalls are the two portions of a 4 manual 67 rank Moller Organ. The organ's antiphonal division is positioned in the rear gallery above the narthex. I attended an organ concert at this church two years ago. The featured organist was Felix Hell. I must say that he is one of the best organists I've ever heard...and at such a young age (19 years old at the time of the concert).

first_um_scroll_large.jpg

The congregation was established in 1835 by pioneers coming into the Grand Valley in covered wagons. In 1840 the first church building was constructed from hand hewn timbers. A second church replaced the first in 1867. In addition, two other structures were built to accommodate the congregation. In 1916 the current church complete with its imposing 115 foot tower was constructed. 1969 saw an addition to the north end of the building to accommodate church offices and educational services. On September 18, 1985, the Michigan State Legislature passed a Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 348 commemorating the 150th anniversary of the church.

This is a great thread tamias! The Grand Rapids Catholic Diocese put out a book not long ago that features every Catholic Church in the diocese (hundreds of them all over West Michigan). It has a lot of great history in it about the different churches. You can probably pick one up at the Catholic Information Center on Ionia, and they're free:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...amp;btnG=Search

I couldn't believe how many Catholic churches there are on the NW side. I think there are 3 or 4 within a 3 block radius.

This is a great thread tamias! The Grand Rapids Catholic Diocese put out a book not long ago that features every Catholic Church in the diocese (hundreds of them all over West Michigan). It has a lot of great history in it about the different churches. You can probably pick one up at the Catholic Information Center on Ionia, and they're free:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...amp;btnG=Search

I couldn't believe how many Catholic churches there are on the NW side. I think there are 3 or 4 within a 3 block radius.

Thanks for the good words and the info. I always been amazed at the overwhelming number of churches in the GR area, allot of which are examples of great architecture in all styles.

Yes, thank you Tamias. Great thread.

Though hard to see in the picture, that stained glass window at First Methodist Church is from the Tiffany studio. Park Congregational also has at least one Tiffany window.

I was in there a few weeks back for a NACC concert, and noticed all the stained glass windows on the west side of the building had been taken out. It looks like they had temporary glass installed in their place. I'm guessing they are having the windows reconditioned?

I'm in the middle of an "epic" novel right now called Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, which I purchased at Schulers downtown* :) , that is fascinating reading for anyone interested in church architecture. It's a bit graphic as it is set in 12th Century England (wars, rapes, villages being sacked), and long at 980 pages, but it's all about the quest to build a massive cathedral in a small monk priory. You don't have to be Catholic to enjoy it immensely.

* It was right on the front rack by the coffee, so it makes me wonder if it was placed strategically for architecture buffs. :D

That is a wonderful building. From the name of the town and the name of the parish, you can guess what ethnic group was involved in that parish.

I hope that some of our intrepid photogs can take some interior pictures of these great buildings. I am sure that if they are open, the clergy or staff would not mind a few pictures so long as they are not taken during services.

post-11142-1194355290_thumb.jpg

Finally!! I had my camera in the car - and while on my way to take my son fishing on Wabasis Lake I found the opportunity to contribute a photo to UP! Here is St Patricks on a gorgeous Fall day. This structure really dominates the otherwise rural landscape in a truly breathtaking manner.

Finally!! I had my camera in the car - and while on my way to take my son fishing on Wabasis Lake I found the opportunity to contribute a photo to UP! Here is St Patricks on a gorgeous Fall day. This structure really dominates the otherwise rural landscape in a truly breathtaking manner.

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks. And nice to get a glimpse of northern fall color.

After seeing the photo, if anybody takes it upon themselves to visit St Patrick

Wow! Put some snow on the ground and that Church would look like it came straight out of a Christmas card. Very nice. By the way where is this church located?

Wow! Put some snow on the ground and that Church would look like it came straight out of a Christmas card. Very nice. By the way where is this church located?

5-Mile and Parnell Ave. About 3 miles east of Cannonsburg (about mile east of where Cannonsburg Rd merges onto 5-Mile.

Parnell ends right at 5-Mile. Can't miss it.

I'm in the middle of an "epic" novel right now called Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, which I purchased at Schulers downtown* :) , that is fascinating reading for anyone interested in church architecture. It's a bit graphic as it is set in 12th Century England (wars, rapes, villages being sacked), and long at 980 pages, but it's all about the quest to build a massive cathedral in a small monk priory. You don't have to be Catholic to enjoy it immensely.

* It was right on the front rack by the coffee, so it makes me wonder if it was placed strategically for architecture buffs. :D

Ahh, Pillars of the Earth. Very good. The reason it's out in front after all these years is because Follett has just published a sequel to Pillars called "World without end". So, I guess before you read the sequel, you should read the prequel. Anyway, if you dig Follett, check out "Key to Rebecca" and "Eye of the Needle".

• 2 months later...

That's a beautiful Church. The tower looks very much like one of the towers at St. Andrews. Where is this church? I'd like to do a photoshoot of it when the weather warms up.

Archived