Kendall College expansion into the old Fed Bldg/Post Office

GRDadof3

Is Calvin College's overpass a bridge or a skywalk?

calvin.jpg

Calvin's Crossing is a bridge. Six lanes of traffic underneath. It's heated, lighted, dedicated to the memory of students killed trying to cross the East Beltline. (I've been in it once, vaguely recall a memorial plaque.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats not what i meant anyway, wingbert. Its pretty easy to cross an urban street at a crosswalk, but a bridge is very helpful and much safer when crossing a 6 lane throughfare.

Sorry, I didn't mean that as a jab. I was thinking in terms of the fact that, theoretically it could be done in a way that is architecturally and visually attractive rather than a human size habitrail. If you've ever seen a hapless Kendall student lugging a large portfolio, backpack and other miscellaneous art bric-a-brac across a slushy intersection on a windy January day, you could see where they might appreciate a climate controlled alternative.

I hope that Kendall gets the building. The old Federal Building was finished about 1911 and housed not only federal offices but also the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan (until 1972) and the Post Office (until 1962). The cornerstone was laid on Lincoln's birthday, 1909, and Alice Roosevelt, the colorful daughter of TR, was present for the occasion. A big deal in very Republican GR.

I recall hearing from someone that during the first Red scare of 1919-1920, a bomb went off on the Division Street side of the building and that there were scars in the stonework from the blast.

• 2 years later...

Such a great building, and a lot of history: "It was the site of a 1914 federal court ruling that upheld professional baseball's Reserve Clause, a clause in player contracts binding players to a single team for a long period. It housed the offices of President Gerald R. Ford when he was a congressman. It was one of 159 venues for ArtPrize."

Wasn't Kendall considering starting an architecture program in this building?

I think it was the architecture program is speculation (but it would be nice). This is great news though. It is a great building and it seems like a good time to get the maintenance off the city's hands.

Joe

Such a great building, and a lot of history: "It was the site of a 1914 federal court ruling that upheld professional baseball's Reserve Clause, a clause in player contracts binding players to a single team for a long period. It housed the offices of President Gerald R. Ford when he was a congressman. It was one of 159 venues for ArtPrize."

Wasn't Kendall considering starting an architecture program in this building?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

At the Rapid Growth Speaker Series event last night, Dr. Oliver Evans commented that the North Division side of the old Fed Bldg will undergo a "dramatic" transformation when it gets renovated, creating a new more pleasing look for North Division. I'm hoping they create a signature renovation for downtown. Could be one of the coolest in Michigan if done right (not necessarily my idea, just sayin).

4499604351_c61048f4ef_o.jpg

2784676866_e0b7e80f45_o.jpg

At the Rapid Growth Speaker Series event last night, Dr. Oliver Evans commented that the North Division side of the old Fed Bldg will undergo a "dramatic" transformation when it gets renovated,

4499604351_c61048f4ef_o.jpg

Really? That's not what they indicate in the booklet they're circulating from which you scanned that image. It just looks like new windows to me, not an addition of any sort.

Really? That's not what they indicate in the booklet they're circulating from which you scanned that image. It just looks like new windows to me, not an addition of any sort.

He said "dramatic," which could mean a lot of things. I hope it's more than just new windows.

He said "dramatic," which could mean a lot of things. I hope it's more than just new windows.

When I was in TowerPinkster's office in July, they had a concept board of the Division St. side of this building. It showed removing a large section of the one story service area (the middle 5 windows and doors) to be replaced with a 1.5 story glass atrium entrance. I don't know if there was any seriousness behind their concept, but I could ask if I think about it.

• 1 month later...

I seem to recall that when the old Federal Building first was considered for use as the art museum, there was a proposal to demolish the old Post Office addition on Division and replace it with a glass atrium. That was some 30 years ago. Nice to see Kendall using this great space for a useful purpose.

I seem to recall that when the old Federal Building first was considered for use as the art museum, there was a proposal to demolish the old Post Office addition on Division and replace it with a glass atrium. That was some 30 years ago. Nice to see Kendall using this great space for a useful purpose.

Did you register for the draft on the 2nd or 3rd floor west side of the building NW corner like I did? My daughter & I strolled thru during ArtPrize and I think I identified the room :)

Did you register for the draft on the 2nd or 3rd floor west side of the building NW corner like I did? My daughter & I strolled thru during ArtPrize and I think I identified the room :)

Probably. I don't have a clear memory of where it was, other than somewhere in a cramped office. I went over with a couple of guys about my same age. Fortunately, no one my birth year got drafted, as far as I know.

One of my more distinct (albeit years earlier) memories of that building, though, is driving downtown with my Dad when he wanted to mail important letters. There used to be a whole battery of mailboxes along Division Avenue.

• 1 month later...

From Rapid Growth - http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/inthenews/fedbldg0617.aspx

It will be great to see this project finally get off the ground. Does anyone know if they are still planning on closing that block of Pearl between Division and Ionia to create a plaza that would better connect the two Kendall buildings? I know that it had been proposed at one time.

From Rapid Growth - http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/inthenews/fedbldg0617.aspx

It will be great to see this project finally get off the ground. Does anyone know if they are still planning on closing that block of Pearl between Division and Ionia to create a plaza that would better connect the two Kendall buildings? I know that it had been proposed at one time.

When I was in Planning ('04-05), the plaza idea was not being supported. IIRC it was because Pearl has its own exit on 131 and connects to Division. I took a moment to locate and distribute aerials showing what Wayne State has done in Detroit: lots of closed-streets-made-into-plazas examples.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Last time I saw a concept rendering (2 years ago - august 2009) this was to be an all glass atrium to act as the new main entrance to the building. At that time though, the atrium was centered, was not canted, and stuck up taller than the cornice above the old service docks. Obviously the plans have changed quite a bit.

Archived