Land hoarder strikes again!

GRDadof3

I'm all for "the greater good", but this is a capitalist society. If the guy wants to hold onto something until he gets the price/deal he likes, then good luck to him. One day I'd like to be in his position. Eminent domain has no place in a democratic society IMHO. The virtues of eminent domain are usually (not saying it's so in this case) extolled by the have-nots and the never-will-haves. Where is the incentive to do well and acquire property if we live under the constant threat that it could be forcefully purchased from under our feet.

Isn't he simply living "The American Dream"?

Andy (wannabe real estate mogul)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave and others,

I would be willing to produce a significant video piece on this, if you think it would help... viral video is the new media powerhouse!

In order to show a pattern, it would probably help to show specifically what properties this developer owns and is failing to maintain. Can someone post a list, so I can consider the feasibility of recording the state of them... maybe we could even divide them up and cover it that way.

I'm thinking some interviews of Dave, Elias, etc, mixed with renderings of the proposed park and shots of other decaying properties. Perhaps a his signature on the PA...

Dave, feel free to PM me if you want to act on this.

...I would be willing to produce a significant video piece on this, if you think it would help... viral video is the new media powerhouse!

In order to show a pattern, it would probably help to show specifically what properties this developer owns and is failing to maintain. Can someone post a list, so I can consider the feasibility of recording the state of them... maybe we could even divide them up and cover it that way.

I'm thinking some interviews of Dave, Elias, etc, mixed with renderings of the proposed park and shots of other decaying properties. Perhaps a his signature on the PA...

Just tried that...didn't get many results. Maybe some are owned by an LLC or something with a different name?

Good idea Andy! The Kendall Building, Keeler Building, and Fire House on Grandville come to mind...I'm pretty sure he has dozens more.

I don't know much about this guy except what I've read in the paper over the years. Threats, peer pressure and lawsuits don't seem to have much effect on him. He seems to walk to the beat of a different drummer than most of the rest of us. Lighthouse Dave and his organization seem to have it under control to the best of their ability. I'd say the best the rest of can do is give them our support, moral and financial.

From Wikipedia:

"Eminent domain (United States), compulsory purchase (United Kingdom, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland), resumption/compulsory acquisition (Australia) or expropriation ([[]], South Africa) in common law legal systems is the inherent power of the state to seize a citizen's private property, expropriate property, or rights in property, without the owner's consent. The property is taken either for government use or by delegation to third parties who will devote it to "public use." The most common uses of property taken by eminent domain are public utilities, highways, and railroads. Some states require that the government body offer to purchase the property before resorting to the use of eminent domain."

I guess that the 'haves' are better off because now they can get to work faster with their cars while the 'have nots' have to try and cross a busy interstate on foot. I always thought that eminent domain was meant to keep a land hoarder from holding the gov't hostage with some rediculous demands for a key piece of property. what you are refering to wasn't actually decided in the supreme court until 1954 which I guess makes it historical. of course in 1984 hawaii gave a bunch of land to the 'have nots' from the 'haves' so go figure.

There are two parts to eminent domain, one the taking of the property and second the compensation. My employer starts eminent domain procedings sometimes up to a half dozen times a year. We do mostly partial takes of parcels but do some whole takes. Very few go to a court trial. In the 35 years I've worked there, necessity of the taking has been challenged only twice that I can remember. Both times it was a delay tactic to buy the property owner's attorney more time to respond. All the remaining proceedings were over how much the property owner was going to be compensated. The eminent domain laws are very much in favor of the property owner monetarily. The government entity has to pay for the property owners attorney, appraisal fees etc. There's no cost to the property owner to "fight city hall".

• 2 months later...

So, what is this guy's story? Mr. Azzar really has a bad name in various U.P. threads (and from what I've seen, are based on very valid points), but does anyone know why he is the way he is - what his ultimate goals are with the buildings and land he owns? Is there vision involved, or just plain, unabashed human greed?

If greed is truly the case, I'm surprised the more powerful and deep-pocketed (and generous, for that matter) haven't put pressure on him to either change his ways or run him out of town...

Every time they close in on him, he escapes in a rocket shaped like Big Boy. ;)

So, what is this guy's story? Mr. Azzar really has a bad name in various U.P. threads (and from what I've seen, are based on very valid points), but does anyone know why he is the way he is - what his ultimate goals are with the buildings and land he owns? Is there vision involved, or just plain, unabashed human greed?

If greed is truly the case, I'm surprised the more powerful and deep-pocketed (and generous, for that matter) haven't put pressure on him to either change his ways or run him out of town...

As you can imagine it is a long convoluted story. Here is a few details. Azzar was paid in full for this land by the County/ City Drain Commission when they turned it into a drainage field. However, the City never took ownership of the land they merely took a lifetime easement for drainage rights. Azzar then told the City the land had no value because of the Drain Commission's drainage easement and had the property taken off the tax rolls. He was paid $246,000 in 1992. The City, in the late 90's asked Azzar if they could put a park there and Azzar told them to jump in the lake.

Archived