'Queen Park' Developments - Area around New Bern Station

voyager12

It seems that Colonial Properties' apartment building where the Bonded Distribution site is now located, is closer to moving forward. They have applied for their building permits for the parking deck.

I'm a bit nervous as to what they will propose. All of their properties that I've ever seen across the country have been very conservatively designed. Hopefully they realize this location needs more than brick with an EIFS top.

As a downer, they will be naming the property Colonial Grand at South End. They must not have got the Urban Planet memo either that they are located in the Queen Park neighborhood ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems that Colonial Properties' apartment building where the Bonded Distribution site is now located, is closer to moving forward. They have applied for their building permits for the parking deck.

I'm a bit nervous as to what they will propose. All of their properties that I've ever seen across the country have been very conservatively designed. Hopefully they realize this location needs more than brick with an EIFS top.

As a downer, they will be naming the property Colonial Grand at South End. They must not have got the Urban Planet memo either that they are located in the Queen Park neighborhood ;)

I would think this would be the case (open to the public, but privately owned). The Green in downtown is a private park, built and still owned by Wachovia, though they certainly let almost anyone enjoy it. What they do maintain is control over not allowing homelessness, loud preachers, beggars, etc., and they often use it to host company events, so they can reserve however much they want whenever they want.

I'm thinking that if Citiline goes this route, it would make a lot of sense.

While I'm sure it never crossed anyone's mind to make it public, I bet they want to retain extra control given the fragile nature of some surrounding neighborhoods, including section 8 housing and public housing. I'm sure those people would be welcome if it is open to the public, but they'll at least have more property rights if something comes up and they need to make rules or ask someone to leave.

• 1 month later...

It looks like the first development to break ground at Scaleybark will be another apartment community. Lincoln Property out of Dallas is proposing ~350 units adjacent to the station, I believe as part of the Scaleybark Partners site.

Just got a Silos update from Citiline - there are two bars that will be opening in Silos, Local and Dharma Lounge. Also, I don't remember if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the Poindexter extension was approved by the city.

It appears that Silos will be breaking ground tomorrow and the name of the two bars that were reported this week are named Dharma Lounge and Local... interesting. Glad to see this project is so eager to pick up given the state of everything going on.

It looks like the first development to break ground at Scaleybark will be another apartment community. Lincoln Property out of Dallas is proposing ~350 units adjacent to the station, I believe as part of the Scaleybark Partners site.

The crossing gnomes struck at New Bern & South last night. At first glance, I thought they had somehow managed to lay four brick crossings. But not quite - they just faked it. They ground into the street bed to create a brick pattern between the white crossing lines. At least in the dark, it was a surprisingly effective job.

The equipment was still out next to South, so I'm naively hoping that they might be adding other crossings to the stretch between Poindexter and just beyond 3030, where there are always people (including myself) skipping across South.

*There was another thread where crossings were being discussed, but I don't know which one and can't find it.

Unfortunately real bricks are not approved by NCDOT for streets. I remember in the UNC Chapel Hill master plan they were looking at whether some low speed streets could be bricked up to create a better pedestrian environment, and calm traffic. They nixed it.

Now, they just spraypaint some asphalt in brick red and then roll over with a brick shaped stamp. It only lasts a couple years, and it is very unconvincing when the utilities dig up the asphalt and re-lay black asphalt over top (which ironically could look as good as new if they used actual brick.)

I'm still glad they are doing it, as it really does create a visual improvement over the standard crossings.

• 2 weeks later...

It just came across the news that one of the Silos collapsed onto the LRT tracks. I was just out there earlier today, and they had already knocked down the "unwanted ones" so there were 4 remaining. I have a pic somewhere I share later.

Archived