'Queen Park' Developments - Area around New Bern Station

voyager12

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the newest rendering of Broad Street Partner's great looking Tradition at New Bern Station (southwest quadrant of New Bern and LRT). Not wild about the name, but love the building's design. I've seen the rest of it too and it all looks good. Standard Texas doughnut, but pays attention to what's around it (the "butt" of the doughnut is to the LRT maintenance facility).

post-2045-1209386178_thumb.jpg

post-2045-1209386178_thumb.jpg

I really like the direction this project is going in elevation, especially along New Bern and at the corner. The massing plan could lead to nice things, but without floor plans that's hard to judge.

However, at the risk of reading too much into a rendering, it doesn't seem like they're doing much with their great corner. I mean, treadmills? I hope that's just something they grabbed to throw in there and not what's actually planned. The building interaction with the site at that corner also leaves a lot to be desired.

Wow, that is an cool looking building. Given that it was an apartment building going up in an area that is a bit pioneering, I anticipated just a standard little building. But that is a 5 story modern structure that is something very different and interesting than what we generally see here. This will be a harbinger of very positive things at New Bern Station, especially given how many cool little brick warehouses there are that are just asking to be storefronts and clubs. If the Silos and this apartment building both go up this year (I don't know this), then next year New Bern station might be a great little place to live.

Given that it is already walkable to the grocer and drug stores we talked about earlier, and a few restaurants and some new retail going up, on top of the potential for urban retail around Youngblood and Griffith, this is going to be a very impressive neighborhood. Queen Park or New Bern or whatever name they put to it.

What an attractive building. I love the lettering and I think this will really fit well with the Silos project and add much desired density to this station. I am amazed watching the growing trends carry down the length of this line.

BTW this project was mentioned in this CATs powerpoint, but it looks a lot different, I'm hoping this new one is the one the developer goes with.

http://www.ncleg.net/documentsites/committ...201-16-2008.pdf

Those renderings look similar, but they've evolved that main facade that is closest to the light rail, for obvious reasons. I like the changes.

At this point, we need the projects to happen and get people living in these areas so that the multiplier effect can begin.

• 1 month later...

Silos Site as of 06/11/08:

06-11-08014.jpg

Aside from the picture which looks to be lifeless, there was actually a great number of people on site working on the sitework, somehow I just didn't capture it... Also, the Pointdexter Extension was being worked on...

Silos Site as of 06/11/08:

06-11-08014.jpg

Aside from the picture which looks to be lifeless, there was actually a great number of people on site working on the sitework, somehow I just didn't capture it... Also, the Pointdexter Extension was being worked on...

It appears that the grassroots effort to name the New Bern station area 'QueenPark' have failed. The city incorporated the area into the Historic SouthEnd district, in addition to the industrial area between Summit and Belk Freeway and the Brookhill apartments between Tremont and Remount.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eryoy...sgi6gvbf/09.pdf

Tradition at New Bern Station can be discussed in the SouthEnd apartment thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/SouthEnd...jec-t45017.html

Silos SouthEnd can be discussed in the SouthEnd condo thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/SouthEnd...min-t45016.html

Archived