'Queen Park' Developments - Area around New Bern Station

voyager12

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The Silos at SouthEnd Wesbsite is updated. They don't have a ton of stuff up yet, like floorplans or more photos, but there is a site map and some fun facts. I'm anxious about this project. I think it's something that 10 years ago you would never have expected to see in Charlotte and it brings out a lot of character for our city.

The Silos at SouthEnd Wesbsite is updated. They don't have a ton of stuff up yet, like floorplans or more photos, but there is a site map and some fun facts. I'm anxious about this project. I think it's something that 10 years ago you would never have expected to see in Charlotte and it brings out a lot of character for our city.

• 2 weeks later...

Soil sampling today at the lot on the SW corner of New Bern and the tracks (across the tracks from 3030 South). Based on the tyvek suits the crew was wearing I would guess it was an environmental assesment -- this would make sense given the brownfield status of the 3030 property.

Anybody know what project this is?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I received renderings and floorplans for Silos the other day. I must say that I'm pretty impressed with the architecture and site plan. It appears they will be building 6 buildings (4 residential, 2 office) in the first phase, which will include the pocket park and renovated silos/movie screen.

The buildings are all very modern in design, with lots of strong colors. Mostly Hardi-Board and metal for the facades though two condo buildings along the LRT line and the two office buildings have a good bit of masonary. If I can find a color-scanner around this place, I'll try the scan in the renderings.

I received renderings and floorplans for Silos the other day. I must say that I'm pretty impressed with the architecture and site plan. It appears they will be building 6 buildings (4 residential, 2 office) in the first phase, which will include the pocket park and renovated silos/movie screen.

The buildings are all very modern in design, with lots of strong colors. Mostly Hardi-Board and metal for the facades though two condo buildings along the LRT line and the two office buildings have a good bit of masonary. If I can find a color-scanner around this place, I'll try the scan in the renderings.

These are the renderings and elevations that were included in the info packet for Silos. The renderings with the big green chunk is an office building. The others are townhomes. I still love the master plan of this project. I'm not familiar with LEED-ND, but I hope of these projects follow this route.

Architecturally... well... its certainly different for Charlotte. As far as industrial aesthetic, I really prefer Bloc 90. The different colored metal panels here come off as a little cartoony. The base + top organization that virtually all the new urban condos use is also a pet peeve of mine. But hey, beggers can't be choosers. I still find myself seriously considering an investment here.

townhouse-elevs2.jpgtownhouse-elevs.jpg

office-elevs2.jpgoffice-elevs.jpg

render3.jpg

render2.jpg

render1.jpg

Of course, now that I've posted these, they will inevitably update the website tomorrow with these same images.

To me this is exactly the kind of project that I had hoped would spring up along the rail line. It is pretty self-contained with a decent amount of retail and restaurants in and around it, the mini park is fantastic for the residents as is the movie screen, and if you are going downtown for work, and event or game, or just to hang out it is a 10 minute train ride away. Part of the point of living along the line was the abiility to have the uptown urban lifestyle without the price and to be such a short jump to be there without a car. This is one of my favorite projects right now for the whole lifestyle I think it will give its residents -- and the prices are great.

To me this is exactly the kind of project that I had hoped would spring up along the rail line. It is pretty self-contained with a decent amount of retail and restaurants in and around it, the mini park is fantastic for the residents as is the movie screen, and if you ars is one of my favorite projects right now for the whole lifestyle I think it will give its residents

More importantly, the park, movie screen, etc are fantastic for the entire neighborhood. A lot of condo developments would try to enclose those areas and make them generally inaccessible to the public. In this case, however, Silos is a genuinly open development and is integrating into the existing and future neighborhoods.

More importantly, the park, movie screen, etc are fantastic for the entire neighborhood. A lot of condo developments would try to enclose those areas and make them generally inaccessible to the public. In this case, however, Silos is a genuinly open development and is integrating into the existing and future neighborhoods.

Archived