parking

Wild Style

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of any "parking-only" projects off hand. Someone else may know of something planned, but all the new parking I know of is incorporated into dedicated mixed use or office projects. Parking used to be overly plentiful overall downtown, but now that more and more projects are taking up those surface lots the need for more public parking in the form of parking decks or built into future projects might become a pressing issue for downtown.

Downtown Nashville may soon need more parking, and I'm fine with that, as long as it doesn't come in the traditional package that parking has typically come in. We can no longer afford to devote entire parcels simply to letting your car sit there. In my opinion, there has to be some sort of mixed use package along with it, or at least street level retail at the bottom. It would also help the parking situation immensely if we could get people riding their bikes or riding the bus more often, but that's another story.

I wish there were a fast, reliable downtown/midtown circulator trolley or bus route. Even if it just went back and forth on Broadway/West End from 2nd & Broadway to 440 and back. Would this be feasible? It seems reasonable to me.

I went to nashvillemta.org to see what's available. According to the Trip Planner, it would take one hour, a transfer, and a .5 mile walk to get from 2nd/Commerce to Centennial Park.

Then I searched further and discovered the Music City Star West End Shuttle, which is similar to what I want aside from the extremely limited schedule and stops.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route93.pdf

Archived