Plainfield Twp planners fighting sprawl

GRDadof3

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble as they armor up for the battle... but all these questions have been raised - especially the planning/land use issues.

The last meeting between the PC and Board actually had a Trustee (in what some could call a very condescending tone) informing the PC that while they may be responsible for examining and recommending planning matters - it was the Board's responsibility to consider economic and tax-base issues (which that Trustee clearly felt were far more important than land use issues). Fact is, this isn't going to create much of an increased tax-base if it's merely replacing (re-locating) existing commercial capacity. The PC Chairperson went to great length to remind the Trustee that this project would have a devastating effect on the existing commercial in the township - but this apparently fell on deaf ears.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, the process sometimes plays out as it should - as happened here. While to many people this process appears long and tedious, it makes a strong argument for what I truly believe has in very recent years become a strong commitment to avoiding hasty decisions in Plainfield Township. In the interest of constructive conversation moving forward, I'll share a few thoughts:

First, this decision should not be in any way interpreted as an indictment of Spartan's presence in Plainfield Township. Quite the contrary. Despite the convoluted chain of events that has brought us to this point in time, it is our desire to work with the developer and Spartan to find a more suitable location for what remains a very vital element of our community. It is my hope that last night's decision will motivate Spartan and BDR to come forward with any "back-up", alternative plans that I must assume they have had in mind from the beginning.

While the dust is still settling from this decision, a few facts remain: one fact is that the parcel in question at 7 Mile still begs for a clearer vision in the about-to-be-updated Township Master Plan. This debate has raised some interesting comments on what might be the best use of that land. I am hopeful that we can now work with some of those ideas and come to a collective agreement on a use for that area that satisfies all parties. Keep in mind that Advantage Health has expressed an interest in this location - and that appears to me to be a potentially appropriate use in that spot. Furthermore, and on a personal note, I am intrigued by the idea that some form of high-end retirement or care facility for the aging sector of our population might also be a good fit here. Boulder Creek, while currently platted to be single family homes, has already been revised to include some high end condos and is a strong candidate for condominium residential because empty nesters are currently the only truly growing segment of our population. The adjacency of both golf courses is attractive, as would be the Advantage Health facility - as are the other community amenities nearby. Finally, add the Township's recently announced collaboration with FEMA to re-purpose the flood plains along the river and expand recreational amenities along this major natural asset... and perhaps we start to see how a broader vision around this theme of an aging population and its lifestyle could create an attractive and valuable outcome for the larger area around this location?

As for the grocery store, I've spoken strongly about the need to keep commercial development south of the Grand River - however I do think we must remain open to the possibility that a location might be found north of the river that can still serve the population south of the river without competing with and jeopardizing the success of those businesses south of the river. The area surrounding West River Drive and Jupiter comes to mind. Major traffic arteries are already in place going in all directions, a small retail presence already exists there and the surrounding land uses could prevent a broad sprawl of retail from resulting long term. If Spartan can find it in their hearts to consider a plan that does not include an extra 80,000sf of peripheral strip style retail, I firmly believe we'll find several locations that could equally serve theirs and the community's interests without detrimental effects.

I'll stop rambling and simply say that any thoughts or observations from everyone here at UP would be welcome as we move forward on this issue...

My first reaction to that land would be a park - are there any parks in that area? Especially with the condo/housing development being built on cannonsburg it would be nice for ppl to go somewhere - unless that development itself is going to have a park.

After they built the Metro Health complex on M44/Northland I always wonder why that didn't go on 7 Mile...that would have been a good location for them.

That article did mention that Spartan can go after the township in court to try and get its way...wonder if they'll try it and if they'll win.

I think everybody here can agree that Family Fare can make needed improvements to their current store, or find a better location (aren't there some empty spots on Plainfield?).

Nope. That's the former Meijer office/conference center along the north side of the North Kent Mall PUD - and it's now occupied by a church (unfortunately) - - but the ultimate problem is that Meijer wrote a condition into the deed of this parcel that prevents any grocery store from occupying the space.

No, there's no room anywhere in that area for Wal-Mart. If Family Fare can't find room, no way could Wal-Mart. ;) Wal-Mart was rumored to have been looking at Robinette's land, but I hear even that is not big enough.

We've been told that Penneys, Walmart and others have been sniffing around for a while on the NE side - but appropriate parcels have been difficult to find. Indeed, Robinettes does not work due to grading and size issues. The owners of North Kent Mall have had some conversations with big boxes who are sniffing... but I am not aware of anything beyond mere conversations.

The threat of big boxes is part of why the denial at 7 Mile was so critical. To be sure, that would have opened the door for Blythefield Country Club to be a target (or in fact a Target)(capital T).

It is likely that we will not see anything really gain traction until the cranky old guy who owns Northtown Plaza finally passes away - or finally decides to sell.

Back to Spartan... any opinions on the parcel that wraps around Rockford Ambulance at the NW corner of Jupiter and West River Dr? I continue to like that location for Spartan (if they HAVE to be north of the river).

From my google look of it here is what I see. First over on Safety you currently have some light industry. Between that is some new residential properties. Now if the commission were to say yes to it could impact the values in that newer developments. From an tax load you have to consider is the reduction in values going to be offset from a slightly larger increase in property revenues. The schools is a no brainer as they will get a revenue increase because of the non homestead.

My major thing from reading your comments is that you are looking to keep Plainfield more for Big Box retailers along with Northland Dr. As a result a smaller neighboorhood grocery like Family Fare has merits on main roads but not in areas where the current land use is only for residential. As a result with Jupiter being a new road in the area and being one of two river crossings on the north part of Grand Rapids it has some benifits. As for West River Dr it has the benifit of being home to a lot commerical and light industry works. Which just happens to be a major home route for those workers.

From the standpoint of Family Fare they want to move off from Plainfield and quick. They need a location to expand their future brand and that is not going to be in competition with major box stores in the same area. As a result they looked at 7 mile road location since it is south of Rockford but in an area that is more secluded from the rest of major chains. The problem was that its seclusion meant a change in zoning which was not in the intrest of the township. They should look more for arterials that are not off the beaten path but still with little compettion forthcoming and provides easy access.

The location you suggest works in all regards. There is no gas station in that location, so no job loss with a new gas station. Its on the way to and from those bussiness on West River. And the crucial fact that only a handful of locations can be converted to a big box store. As for the township postion it has no real evils and since a traffic light is already present it posses no hardship for added traffic. Although a dedicated left turn signal may be needed.

Don't forget the gas station. That's probably the #1 reason they are looking for new space.

Instead of Google, you should go to Regis and then click on Public Internet Mapping Service, then "Parcel Finder" . That will allow you to look up the individual parcels around Rockford Ambulence. :thumbsup: Looking at the county's site, it appears that parcel is 8.49 acres, and very oddly shaped....

2105706016_b3a323f2c5_o.jpg

There's also this slot of land down the road east of Jupiter

WRDLand.jpg

If they want to go north - 14 mile between 131 and Northland has many parcels for sale - nice sizes to have development around the store in some cases:

14mile.jpg

Or - Northland/Courtland intersection has some big parcels:

courtland.jpg

There's also this slot of land down the road east of Jupiter

WRDLand.jpg

If they want to go north - 14 mile between 131 and Northland has many parcels for sale - nice sizes to have development around the store in some cases:

14mile.jpg

Or - Northland/Courtland intersection has some big parcels:

courtland.jpg

Archived