Downtown Raleigh living & street activity

ncwebguy

^Cool. :thumbsup: Glad to know I'm not the only one reporting these, like it sometimes seems. :lol: And yes, pole numbers definitely help get it done faster, that's for sure.

I have noticed what look like street light rough-ins in several places downtown...Peace st, and Wilmington st off the top of my head but I have seen them in other places too.

Now I'm wondering if they're all street lights. DTRaleigh.com is now talking about holes around downtown that could be the bases for the Wayfinding signs: http://dtraleigh.com/2009/03/downtown-raleigh-wayfinding/

Makes sense cuz I'm beginning to see them in other places too like Dawson and Morgan Streets. :dontknow:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

DTRaleigh.com is now talking about holes around downtown that could be the bases for the Wayfinding signs: http://dtraleigh.com/2009/03/downtown-raleigh-wayfinding/

Makes sense cuz I'm beginning to see them in other places too like Dawson and Morgan Streets. :dontknow:

You were right Rob, they are the wayfinding signs. I had no idea there would be so many....I have seen 20 or so already. I imagine this is a huge help for visitors, both local and out of town.

• 5 weeks later...

Still a ways to go, but the opening of Busy Bee on Wilmington St has the potential to expand the urban activity zone from Hatem's corner down Wilmington St. There are 4-5 store fronts that are in a state of disrepair between Slim's/BB and the tatoo place/Taz's convenience store. Let's hope this new investment keeps the organic momentum going...

• 2 weeks later...

Last night (May 1st Friday) I saw more people downtown than ever before (on a non-special event night). Mahler Gallery opened their doors and it seems that it may not be too long before we get a critical mass of activity in the core area, and not just Glenwood. It was great to see.

The 200 block of Fayetteville especially but the whole area from Morgan south to the Marriott and Person west to warehouse district really was just full of people. When you have things like the Raleigh City Museum and Port City Java open in the evening, you get a feel for the potential for 200 block of Fayetteville. Even better is that dozens of the people I see and know, I know for sure actually live in the core or within walking distance of it. Retail may never happen but its quite the activity center nonetheless.

• 6 months later...

I apologize if this post does not belong here, but I wasn't sure what thread to post this in. I have always thought that downtown Raleigh could benefit from a little more music street performances. I love that kind of street activity. I play a musical instrument (trombone) and am thinking of venturing out into the public in a few weeks to play some Christmas Carols and maybe raise a little money for a local charity.

So where do you think some good locations are in downtown Raleigh? Fayettville Street maybe? perhaps the new city plaza? I guess the best spots would be someplace with a lot of foot traffic but enough space that somebody playing music does not cause congestion. I think I might need a permit to do this in downtown Raleigh, I think I read somewhere that it costs around $40 but I need to confirm this. THat is kind of a bummer but I would like to give it a shot. Thanks for any insight. :)

Don't worry, I don't plan to start playing Christmas carols until after Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the info about needing a permit to do a street performance. I got my permit and headed down to the new City Plaza on Sunday. Spent an hour or so playing some Christmas music. It felt good to play outside with the downtown vibe. It was pretty quiet being a Sunday, but there was some foot traffic from the new Marriott Hotel. I made a few bucks (all going to charity). I look forward to playing more in DT Raleigh. :)

• 4 months later...

A local company has won a bid to provide a pilot bicycle rental program in downtown Raleigh!

City of Raleigh {sodEmoji.|} "City Of Spokes" To Offer Pilot Bike Rental Program Downtown

The Raleigh City Council has approved a concession agreement with “City of Spokes” to begin offering a pilot bicycle rental concession in downtown Raleigh. “City of Spokes” is a locally owned company that also operates the Raleigh Rickshaw service in the downtown area.

I think this is a great addition to downtown, for residents and visitors alike. I still don't feel that we are "there" yet, but little things like this certainly keeps things moving in the right direction.

I think that in many ways, downtown has actually benefited from the down economy. People in a down economy look for cheap entertainment close to home, so this could have helped spur the increase in activity downtown, as people go in search of things around town to do. This could have led people to discover that downtown wasn't that "barren" after all and there is many things that can be done there, such as going to a symphony, taking the kids to Marbles, or visiting one of the number of museums. You also have the historical trend of people drinking more during recessions, leading more people to Glenwood South and the Warehouse District. Lets hope that this was the true kickstart to sustained activity in the core of the city.

• 4 years later...

Figured I'd link this here. Fayetteville st is experiencing the same cycle Glenwood did. I don't know if its just the mentality of people here or the leaders didn't understand what an overemphasis on the "play" in live, work play would do to the area, but when your target is to get the suburban kids downtown on the weekends, this is the outcome. The people who made downtown interesting in the first place don't want to stay. 

The cycle seems to repeat itself everywhere though.....Hipsters start out in an area. It then tends to become a place for frat boy bros. Then the shiny shirts move in. Shortly after that...once you get violence, crime and vomit on the streets, a once cool area gets abandoned. Glenwood is trying to reset itself with bottle shops and lower key places like Ale House. The presence of lots of apartments (if they fill up) should level it out as a neighborhood instead of a party district. 

Fayetteville St on the other hand....its shiny shirt, frat boy bro contingent is peaking and the places they frequent seem to be able to pay the bills with 90% of their revenue being made on Friday and Saturday so sh&* storm it will remain for some time it seems to me...

Genius retail idea:  shiny shirt store on Fayetteville Street. 

*goes to google to see what a shiny shirt is*

Good laughs actually..with an image search. But Glenwood's shiny shirt place under the Rockford failed...perhaps now is the time on Fayetteville St though. 

Archived