God Hates F*gs! God Hates America!

Charlotteman

Albert Snyder, father of slain Lance Corp. Matthew Snyder has sued and won $11 million from Westboro Baptist Church/Fred Phelps et. al for picketing his son's funeral.

For any of you not familiar with this disgrace, Phelps and members of his rag-tag church are picketing and demonstrating at military funerals for fallen American soldiers. Why? Because "Amerca is enabling f*gs, so god is striking down American soldiers." Now if that ain't a stretch of logic~~~

A Maryland jury just awarded Snyder the win in an invasion of privacy/emotional distress case against the radical Kansas church.

Laws are popping up all over the country against these sorts of "funeral hate pickets". The concept of Freedom of Speech is being pulled to smitherines here. We all hold Phelps in contempt. But do we put Freedom of Speech concepts first, even when it causes so much pain?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am absolutely opposed to our operations in Iraq, I am absolutely OUTRAGED by what this church has put families of fallen service members through. I would never subject anyone's family to an outrage like this, even if that person were Hitler or Dahmer.

This discussion presented by the church has other acceptable forums, and if they want to spread this message they have town squares and many other public venues to relay their beliefs. I can't believe that they didn't think they would rail the opinion of the funeral goers against themselves.

I personally hopes this causes the church some harm, as maybe God will show this church and their followers that maybe their is pain in inflicting emotional harm and distress on the grieving families of our fallen soldiers. I read that the jury's award is far more than the value of the assests of the defendants. :angry:

Albert Snyder, father of slain Lance Corp. Matthew Snyder has sued and won $11 million from Westboro Baptist Church/Fred Phelps et. al for picketing his son's funeral.

For any of you not familiar with this disgrace, Phelps and members of his rag-tag church are picketing and demonstrating at military funerals for fallen American soldiers. Why? Because "Amerca is enabling f*gs, so god is striking down American soldiers." Now if that ain't a stretch of logic~~~

A Maryland jury just awarded Snyder the win in an invasion of privacy/emotional distress case against the radical Kansas church.

Laws are popping up all over the country against these sorts of "funeral hate pickets". The concept of Freedom of Speech is being pulled to smitherines here. We all hold Phelps in contempt. But do we put Freedom of Speech concepts first, even when it causes so much pain?

Obviously Phelps and his whole Westboro operation are completely disgusting and reprehensible. BUT, I think making laws that restrict the right to petition on what I would assume to be public property (if it is a public cemetary, now if it is a private cemetary than this is an entirely different issue) is EXTREMELY dangerous. As much as what one says might offend us, it must not be restricted (so long as it does not put others in immediate danger). As soon as we establish a precident that what one is allowed to say is subject to whether others are offended by it, free speech (and consequently liberty) is destroyed.

Sometimes we need to be protected from sick freaks like Westboro. I don't think there's a civil liberties problem because the behavior of these people is so disgusting, it needs to be regulated. No sane human being would dare do what they do, so I don't see the problem for the rest of us. I don't see a slope happening just because we're fighting against one evil family.

Raintree21 I agree with your idea of going after the Phelps' properties. In past years the FBI have gone after racist groups with a vengance, and several times courts have siezed the organizations' properties to award victims.

Phelps and his dysfunctional family reportedly own a secured compound in Kansas with a church building and family homes. Perhaps confiscation of the Phelps' property would be appropriate, to sell off and award the proceeds to Mr. Snyder. It would send a strong message to other hate groups that malicious speech won't be accepted without a fight.

Regarding the freedom of speech concerns: I think they could get the protesters for disturbing the peace or some other charge, rather than pass a law banning protests at a funeral.

I'm glad the family got the judgement, but I agree that they'll probably never see the money. It was probabaly more about the principle than the money anyway.

Raintree21 I agree with your idea of going after the Phelps' properties. In past years the FBI have gone after racist groups with a vengance, and several times courts have siezed the organizations' properties to award victims.

Phelps and his dysfunctional family reportedly own a secured compound in Kansas with a church building and family homes. Perhaps confiscation of the Phelps' property would be appropriate, to sell off and award the proceeds to Mr. Snyder. It would send a strong message to other hate groups that malicious speech won't be accepted without a fight.

The State of Tennessee passed a law prohibiting protests within so many feet of a funeral to deal with these folks. It works fairly well without getting into constitutional issues regarding free speech rights.

They were in NWTN at a funeral of a young soldier who was killed in Iraq las summer, about 12 young kids with signs is all they could muster out to proclaim their disturbed and warped message of hate. The state troopers, local police officers, and fire department personnel monitoring their protest site was about 4 to 1 and was more noticable then their "protest"; so I don't think in this instance, due to the state law Tennessee inacted, they got to disturb the service or the family as much as has been the case at other funerals. I think a multitude of other states now have similar laws setting distance limits on protests at funerals.

I'm happy for the family, and the WBC crowd absolutely infuriates me. My question is, why all the outrage now? Fred Phelps was pulling these stunts at the funerals of gays and lesbians for years before he started protesting military funerals. It was only after he targeted soldiers that most people decided to speak up and take action. When he targeted the funeral of Matthew Shephard and others, it was barely a blip on the screen, except for in the gay community. He should have been stopped years ago.

I don't see a free speech issue here. There are laws against harassment, and this protest certainly sounds like a harassment of the mourning family. Cindy Sheehan's arrest for wearing an anti-war T-shirt to the Capitol awhile back was a far greater assault on free speech than clamping down on this sort of protest.

If God hates America, it is because of people like this God hates f*gs movement. They really need to take a good hard look at the central tenets of their own religion.

A while back Ellen DeGenneres appeared at a lesbian conference, and the Phelps entourage picketed. They had insulting signs and one sign said "DYKE ELLEN". The sign also featured an exaggerated characature of Ellen, complete with a huge nose and pimples.

But Ellen turned the whole thing into a joke in her favor------she said she didn't mind the "DYKE ELLEN" part, but she sure hated all the pimples they put on her face!

Ellen DeGenneres is a comedienne, and a damn good one. She found humour in the Phelps' absurdity. However I think it's safe to say that the rest of us are not amused in the least by his antics.

The idea of keeping his pickets a legal distance from funerals sounds like a good compromise to me. Freedom of speech can still be in effect, but the psychological/emotional damage reduced.

A funny aside: before their signs "DYKE ELLEN" were seen, the group used to have signs that read "F*G ELLEN". Someone must have informed them that f*g is primarily a slur against male gays~ gotta laugh at the ignorance of Phelps and his family.

the laws are against protests during funeral proceedings. they interrupt something that has more of a right to be in those public places than a protest. it's not an attack on free speech as this speech (as gusterfell said) is harassment. they are harassing the families of the fallen soldiers. as much as i am against the war, i am more against idiots like phelps and his family (he doesn't have a church if the only members are his family).

Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist Church have announced their military funeral pickets will continue. The $11 million judgement is under appeal and they will fight.

A biker group has come forward to act as a buffer zone between Phelps and the funeral activities. One must admire the bikers for putting their disgust for Phelps, and their support for our troops into a positive action.

These kinds of hate groups, and this one in particular, has been around for years. No one seemed to care much as long as they harassed just Gay & Lesbians and their friends and families. Now that they are striking something that is more mainstream everyone is all of a sudden up in arms about it. It just goes to show you that if you let discrimination against a group of people in this country continue, and in the case of Gays and Lesbians this sort of thing is encouraged all the way up to the President's office, then eventually it comes home to roost by affecting everyone else.

Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist Church have announced their military funeral pickets will continue. The $11 million judgement is under appeal and they will fight.

A biker group has come forward to act as a buffer zone between Phelps and the funeral activities. One must admire the bikers for putting their disgust for Phelps, and their support for our troops into a positive action.

These kinds of hate groups, and this one in particular, has been around for years. No one seemed to care much as long as they harassed just Gay & Lesbians and their friends and families. Now that they are striking something that is more mainstream everyone is all of a sudden up in arms about it. It just goes to show you that if you let discrimination against a group of people in this country continue, and in the case of Gays and Lesbians this sort of thing is encouraged all the way up to the President's office, then eventually it comes home to roost by affecting everyone else.

Archived