God Hates F*gs! God Hates America!

Charlotteman

From what I read, the "protest" will be at McCorkle Place and the memorial ceremony will be at the Dean Dome. There's a good mile of distance between the two so hopefully no one will even see them. What sucks (besides them being there) is that McCorkle Place is right on Franklin Street and the Old Well is part of it so they could get plenty of exposure (and photo ops). :angry:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A while back they even topped those signs---a few years ago an international lesbian conference was held, and the Phelps family picketed. Several high profile lesbians were in attendance including Ellen DeGenerous. What did the Phelps' signs say? F*G ELLEN. Someone must have told them that the term f*g is for male homos, because shortly afterward they changed them to read D*KE ELLEN!

Inside the conference, Ellen brought the house down with laughter when she said onstage, "I've never been called a f*g before!!"

Those Phelps are such cutting-edge social commentaries.

Is the protest itself based on UNC-Chapel Hill's gay positive atmosphere?

Fanatics of Phelps' ilk have a term "homosexual enabler". In their view if you don't radicially hate homos, then you enable them with your tolerance. This is some scary thought-----I'm glad extremism of this magnatude is rare in the country these days.

Oh there are plenty out there. Two years ago I attended a big ol' gay event in downtown Charlotte. Protestors out front carried picket signs about gays, but handed all of us anti-abortion literature. I'm not sure how much they know about anatomy (as I understand it many of them think the world is 6,000 years old and don't believe in evolution) but I would have thought they would at least know the difficulty two gay men or two gay women would have in getting one or another pregnant. There certainly aren't any unplanned pregnancies amongst gays (without help) -- so we certainly wouldn't have an abortion if that miracle of science ever occurred!

Oh there are plenty out there. Two years ago I attended a big ol' gay event in downtown Charlotte. Protestors out front carried picket signs about gays, but handed all of us anti-abortion literature. I'm not sure how much they know about anatomy (as I understand it many of them think the world is 6,000 years old and don't believe in evolution) but I would have thought they would at least know the difficulty two gay men or two gay women would have in getting one or another pregnant. There certainly aren't any unplanned pregnancies amongst gays (without help) -- so we certainly wouldn't have an abortion if that miracle of science ever occurred!

Westboro Baptist Church is up to it again, they are going to protest the Memorial of Eve Carson in Chapel Hill. They were also present at her funeral. Eve was the student body president for the University of North Carolina. The university has allocated space and protection for them is being provided.

This is just wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Raleigh and never heard anything about it. Frankly, I didn't know anything about it until I read it here. If it was the media that decided to not cover it, that gives me some respect for the local media. That shows me that some of our media at least has a conscience. These people make me sick and as the saying goes, what goes around, comes around. Karma will come back to bite them soon enough. I couldn't imagine being in the shoes of the people whos loved ones have died only to have this happen, except to say they have handled it much better than I would. Leaving it at that, this topic infuriates me.

• 3 months later...
Westboro Church is planning to protest Tony Snow's funeral in Arlington, VA. They claim he was instrumental in barring them from their free speech rights and that he has a special place in 'hell' because of the 'special' hatred he bore for their church.

• 5 months later...

Archived