H20 Urban Waterfront District

barakat

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like any project that goes onto the Cumberland River because I think it's one of the most underutilized areas in Nashville. It has the potential to be a great spot for locals and tourists. So many cities (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas) would love to have a river like the Cumberland in their downtowns, we need to utilize ours more. I want ours to become like Baltimore's harbor. I know we have a lot of developing to do to match Baltimore, but they incorporate the city beautifully and it's something we can strive for. Do you know, Barakat, if the development is targeted for Downtown? (hope so)

I'm glad that developers are beginning to realize the potential of the river, though an "urban" style development seems distinctly out of place for this location (it'd be a nice change, though).

nashvylle: From the article, I believe this is in West Nashville, near the I-40 exit onto Charlotte, at the intersection of Charlotte and Davidson. (Basically between Nashville West and the Wal-Mart shopping center.) I know there's an abandoned driving range there, anyways...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

This project is not downtown. Its pretty close to the Nashville West development. I actually used to work at the driving range they are talking about when I was in highschool. This isnt the first time someone has attempted to develop this land. I cant remember what was previously proposed but I know it met a lot of opposition mainly due to traffic concerns, but as we all know if a developer is serious enough traffic concerns are basically a none issue.

I realize that I am probably only saying this because I've been let down so many times by other Nashville projects claiming to be 'urban', but I get the feeling that there really won't be much that is "urban" about this "Urban Waterfront District" at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I live very close to this planned development. It is urban (Nashville is starting its push along Charlotte), only 7 miles from 2nd Ave

This type of development is very much needed - upscale, on the river, another destination for boaters (I live on the Cumberland)

It counters the low income apts being built on River Rd.

"The water really only smells bad in the downtown area"

I'm new to the area, but from what I've read since moving here, the killer drought has contributed greatly to the smell. Low dissolved oxygen levels make for algae blooms that give off a nasty odor. Not that I don't believe the river is polluted. They all are, aren't they? :sick:

Oh, and to the poster who thinks the development is in the boonies....It's ten minutes from downtown (non-rush hour, that is.) You make it seem like it's Franklin or something.

I have to agree this project's location definitely would make it "urban", albeit not "urban" in the sense of the CBD core area we often associate with the term. I personally think Nashville's urban character is very strong along Charlotte Pike a good ways out.

Would you mind expounding on that just a bit? I'm not really familiar with the location, so what do you mean when you say that the location would "make it urban"? Do you mean urban in the sense that it will simply be within the city itself, or urban from a design standpoint?

Would you mind expounding on that just a bit? I'm not really familiar with the location, so what do you mean when you say that the location would "make it urban"? Do you mean urban in the sense that it will simply be within the city itself, or urban from a design standpoint?

What I meant is that the area along Charlotte Pike is fairly built up to about 54th Avenue where the grid stops. Past there its still built up, but more in a built up commercial corridor (strip mall) sense than an real "urban" sense and that's the portion near this planned development. I doubt this project will be "urban" at all from the design standpoint.

Hello Everybody,

I am a new poster, but I have been reading for 2 years and really enjoy everyone's interest in Nashville development and all the great comments.

I am very excited about the H2O project and I had been trying to find the renderings. I finally found them at http://www.tpudc.com/ then click on Portolio and click on the H2O dot near Nashville and you can see a bunch of renderings. This is going to be a great addition to Nashville and really elevate the area.

You can see a news report at http://www.wsmv.com/video/14638187/index.html

Happy Thanksgiving.

Hello Everybody,

I am a new poster, but I have been reading for 2 years and really enjoy everyone's interest in Nashville development and all the great comments.

I am very excited about the H2O project and I had been trying to find the renderings. I finally found them at http://www.tpudc.com/ then click on Portolio and click on the H2O dot near Nashville and you can see a bunch of renderings. This is going to be a great addition to Nashville and really elevate the area.

You can see a news report at http://www.wsmv.com/video/14638187/index.html

Happy Thanksgiving.

Well, if having a "boat port" is your thing. LOL!! No carports on some of the houses/condos. It's "boat ports". This looks like a cool development, but again, it looks a little out of place in those renderings. I wish them luck, but that type of development would be better served more 'in the city".

10-15 minutes out from downtown on Charlotte IS the country (if you hit the stoplights right).

I toured the exact area today, then I got in the car and was literally in downtown in 7 minutes. It is right by the freeway entrance.

It is going to be a great addition to the city.

Keep in mind there was virtually NO traffic today since it was Thanksgiving. LOL!! But I do see your point. I still stand by the fact this development looks like something that should be situated more in the inner-city.

Hi Lexy,

I live in Bellevue and I make this drive all the time and outside of rush hour, I could make the drive in 7 minutes 90% of the time going average speed.

I think it is a great use of that spot and I might even think about ending up there one day...

Okay. I wish you well in the future. Hear me out though, I am not trying to sway you on this just stating my opinion.

But from an urban planning point of view, that development (with nothing surrounding it but big box stores and forest) is out of place and would be better served somewhere closer to the city. It's a fake sense of "urbanity". That isn't the type of "urbanity" I want on the fringes of our fine city. For one thing, anything on Charlotte Pike is a real estate gamble because it can either go up or go down in value that quick. Other parts of town aren't quite that fickle. I don't know if that's a risk I would be willing to take if I was a developer. Heck, the whole time this new lifestyle center has been getting built out on Charlotte I have thought "What are they thinking???". Not that the area isn't in need of shopping but because the area that it's in is somewhat "shady" and I have long thought that developments like that would be further out from the city. But it appears to be a success and I am glad for that!

In closing, I like this plan as a whole and I think it has great potential. But there is just something, and I can't put my finger on it, about this that I just don't like. Perhaps it's the reliance on the Cumberland to "sell" itself or maybe it's the fact it does set out from the urban grid of west Nashville and then claims to be "urban" while it's surrounded by syburbia. I don't know, but time will tell. I'll form a better opinion once I see footers rising up out of the ground!

Archived