H20 Urban Waterfront District

barakat

Lexy, you make some really good points and I hope the developers listen to suggestions from the outside like yours.

I think what is happening is that finally Nashville is recognizing the need to upgrade the west side and that it is ripe for that. They are developing and homeowners will come and the surrounding areas will be upgraded. It will take time, but it can happen.

Take care.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lexy, you make some really good points and I hope the developers listen to suggestions from the outside like yours.

I think what is happening is that finally Nashville is recognizing the need to upgrade the west side and that it is ripe for that. They are developing and homeowners will come and the surrounding areas will be upgraded. It will take time, but it can happen.

Take care.

I concur with you totally. I would love to see the West Side return to its previous luster. That would please me tremendously!

Here's to hoping that happens.

Happy Holidays!

In closing, I like this plan as a whole and I think it has great potential. But there is just something, and I can't put my finger on it, about this that I just don't like.

Maybe.. the fact that its still more or less dependant on cars? Or at least some form of transportation that involves all those streets running throughout it. Streets that turn every which way and dont appear to have much of a defined grid to them, I might add. I mean... you can't expect everyone to live, work, and play all the time at this place out in the middle of no where.

One thing you can say about this is that they do add the river as an option for transportation. I don't see people boating to downtown Nashville to go to work anytime soon, but ya never know?

This project definitely, though, looks to be a big step forward from other developments with huge parking lots surrounding them.

One thing you can say about this is that they do add the river as an option for transportation. I don't see people boating to downtown Nashville to go to work anytime soon, but ya never know?

Assuming it wouldn't be a total pain in the rear and wouldn't take an hour to get downtown, it would be a fun and unique option, for sure. I can't think of a more enjoyable way to commute to work, in favorable weather.

I am perplexed at the number of posters who feel this development is not downtown enough for them.

No, it is not on the corner of Broadway and 2nd but, it is SEVEN miles from 2nd & Broad.

I feel the location is excellent.

Glad to see some forward thinking instead of - build condos downtown.

As for boat ports - love it, I would have one if I could. Also, I boat downtown quite often - ski boat is only 30 minutes, cruiser is about an hour.

This City needs more docking downtown.

I do not see CYH being built - way to long of no activity and the Braxton was started afterwards and is now topped out. The Braxton will have a nice resturant too, which will draw more boaters to the area (the only boating place to visit is River View Catfish and Blue Lagoon)

I guess we will find out come spring time if the W2O will move dirt or not.

I think it would be a gold mine of a development.

True, I do think downtown has too many Condos going in, perhaps w. all the stores and different setting W2O will fair much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to a very good friend this morning. She is a major realtor in town.

The developers are interviewing realtor companies to be the exclusive agent for this site.

It appears to be a go for development, starting at 300k for a residence.

I do not know when the Council would vote on this, I did see a rezoning sign infront of the funeral home so that part is moving forward

I do not know when the Council would vote on this, I did see a rezoning sign infront of the funeral home so that part is moving forward

Is the funeral home part of the development, as in going away altogether? One plan on the H2O site had the building gone but another had it there still.

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I want to chime in about this. I used to live practically right next to this piece of land, and I think several people here have the wrong idea. This land is not "in the middle of nowhere". It's inches from I-40 at the Charlotte Pk exit, so within 10 minutes of downtown, and it's a great location, surrounded by more than "big box and forests" - it's in the middle of a huge amount of residential developments, and just on the edge of the West Meade neighborhood as is the Nashville West development, and unlike another poster put it, this neighborhood is anything but "shady" - it's the "low-end" part of Belle Meade which means $250k+ homes for the most part (and the Nashville West shopping draws from all of these neighborhoods).

Anyway, on the H20 site, for years I've seen people using it as a fishing spot, and it's got beautiful views fo the river and the plains on the other side. It's right next to the Walmart/Lowes development on one side, with the greenway/soccer field area as a buffer, and with Cabot Dr. and I-40 on the other side. Figuring out the traffic situation there will be a nightmare! And from the looks of this, it certainly qualifies as an "urban" development, both in the way it's being developed, and in the location - this is not in "the country" for sure, and it's nice to see some other upscale residential developments that provide options for people other than living downtown.

Also, I'm in favor of any development that utilizes the river. It's pathetic how little we take advantage of it around here compared to other cities. The only "riverfront" dining we really have are in clandestine locations on the outskirts of town.

I guess for a lot of folks, the word "urban" has differing meanings. For many on this site and the Charrette, it has to be downtown to be urban. I am in agreement here that this is an urban project, but not as much as Cumberland Yacht Harbor.

I too am troubled about the traffic in this area. It is almost impossible to get onto the interstate at the interchange. There is going to have to be a major overhaul of that area of interstate.

I too am troubled about the traffic in this area. It is almost impossible to get onto the interstate at the interchange. There is going to have to be a major overhaul of that area of interstate.

Just give Cracker Barrel its own offramps - problem solved!

Seriously, you have swerved into one of my pet peaves - the two lane segments of Charlotte Avenue. It's four from downtown to the old Hill's store (the present international grocer) then two lane to Exit 201, then four for a short distance to River Road. One lane was added to the westbound side for Nashville West, but not for traffic coming in from Bellevue to shop! This town needs to get its act together on the southwest side... it can't be 1964 forever, ya know.

Having said that, the proposed development will only add traffic to an already stupidly restrictive artery. But I'd still like to see it built, because I can see the property from my house and can walk to the shopping should I survive crossing Charlotte. OK, maybe that's not the most new urbanistic rationale for having it built. However, if those condos can fly in Ashland City, surely something similar, even better, would if only a few miles from downtown, smack dab in the middle of shopping and right off an interstate?

I guess the main thing that really bothers me about this, and other so-called 'urban' developments, is the lack of connectivity to other 'urban' developments (e.g. Nashville West) in the same area. Each individual development seems isolated, aside from the main roadways running between them. As in, the only way to get from one to the other is to drive, and pretty much along one single artery.

In my opinion, for this to be a true urban development, it would need to be well connected to other developments... including having multiple roads in and out, and sidewalks... the street grids would need to have some sort of alignment as well, not only within the development, but with other adjoining streets... and preferably some sort of good mass transit, but thats another story.

Look on the map at Charlotte Pike... I would consider it to be 'somewhat' urban up to around the White Bridge Rd area... past that, it just becomes a suburban mess.

I guess the main thing that really bothers me about this, and other so-called 'urban' developments, is the lack of connectivity to other 'urban' developments (e.g. Nashville West) in the same area.

Except that Nashville West is in no way an urban development - it's a glorified strip mall. H20, on the other hand, at least as planned, is. It has the characteristics within the development - containing residential and shopping and office spaces with pedestrian connections, but the urban quality ends at the edge of the property, as you suggest. I almost think there should be a different category for this, like "micro-urban" or "by-the-curb-an" or "urban island" or maybe "keith-urban" :).

On the other hand, there are residential developments (such as the one at Hillsboro Rd & 440 - i forget the name) that claim to be "urban living" but offer no real amenities within reasonable walking distance. To me, that is even less of an "urban development" than H20.

Except that Nashville West is in no way an urban development - it's a glorified strip mall. H20, on the other hand, at least as planned, is. It has the characteristics within the development - containing residential and shopping and office spaces with pedestrian connections, but the urban quality ends at the edge of the property, as you suggest. I almost think there should be a different category for this, like "micro-urban" or "by-the-curb-an" or "urban island" or maybe "keith-urban" :) .

On the other hand, there are residential developments (such as the one at Hillsboro Rd & 440 - i forget the name) that claim to be "urban living" but offer no real amenities within reasonable walking distance. To me, that is even less of an "urban development" than H20.

True.. Nashville West, at this point in time anyway, is not really 'urban' (even with the quotes). I just couldn't think of anything else in that area thats remotely 'urban', that H20 could possibly connect to. I do believe, however, that Nashville West when all is completed, will be slightly more 'urban' in the sense that you're speaking of... with office/residential/other things included.

I like the name 'urban island' for a project like H20... that sounds pretty fitting to me.

Is the funeral home part of the development, as in going away altogether? One plan on the H2O site had the building gone but another had it there still.

The funeral home would be going away if the re-zoning passes (zoning hearing on 1-8-08 at 6pm) Rumor has it the Funeral home is moving down the road, next door to the Brew House West - just a rumor at this point in time.

The exit ramp from I-40 and Cabot Dr will need to be redone - actually the whole strech from I-40 to the River Rd intersection.

how close is this to the Nashville West shopping center?

Considering Phase III of Nashvile West gets constructed, and there's no reason it shouldn't, it will be on the hill right across the interstate from the hill H20 backs up against. One could build a pedestrian bridge between the two hills over I-40. Phase III is up on the hill where HoJo/Crows Nest was. Driving out of town from the Crow's Nest, the first property you see on the other side of the bridge is the H20/driving range.

Don't take offence at this but the powers that be in this city dont want you walking anywhere unless it is on one of their Green-ways. I would not look for many pedestrian bridges built anywhere as they want to make sure we drive everywhere we go. As for bridges, I would much rather see a connector bridge from OHB across the river to Charlotte Pike.

Considering Phase III of Nashvile West gets constructed, and there's no reason it shouldn't, it will be on the hill right across the interstate from the hill H20 backs up against. One could build a pedestrian bridge between the two hills over I-40. Phase III is up on the hill where HoJo/Crows Nest was. Driving out of town from the Crow's Nest, the first property you see on the other side of the bridge is the H20/driving range.

Are you sure that Phase III of Nashville West is going to encompass the Crow's Nest area? I know that the former bar and the former hotel have been completely gutted, but I thought that Nashville West stopped at the Horizon Building. If they are going to utilize that Crow's Nest area, what are they planning to put there?

Are you sure that Phase III of Nashville West is going to encompass the Crow's Nest area? I know that the former bar and the former hotel have been completely gutted, but I thought that Nashville West stopped at the Horizon Building. If they are going to utilize that Crow's Nest area, what are they planning to put there?

They don't show plans for this phase on the nashvillewest.com site - where is the info about this?

It would be "nice" to include a pedestrian bridge across the interstate, but I agree this seems unlikely, especially when an only-slightly-longer-and-less-safe walking distance could be achieved via sidewalks between the two sites that would run along Charlotte, so I don't see how they could justify the expense and hassles of doing such a thing.

Don't take offence at this but the powers that be in this city dont want you walking anywhere unless it is on one of their Green-ways. I would not look for many pedestrian bridges built anywhere as they want to make sure we drive everywhere we go. As for bridges, I would much rather see a connector bridge from OHB across the river to Charlotte Pike.

None taken, but remember there is a greenway,or something similar, going from behind the Bojangle's/quick oil change parcels on Charlotte down to the river, bordering H20. It's rather small considering the length of other similar greenways. Perhaps a natural extension of that is into or around H20... someday.

I, too, would like to see Old Hickory Blvd extended across the river. It would solve the problem Zeitlin is having with opposition to added traffic on the Ashland City highway to the north. I would like to see the proposed road running along the hill to become the bridge over to OHB and the Bells Landing development, and be paid for primarily by those two developers. H20 would be a nice gateway into the city from the Bells Bend. Certainly better than the women's prison and the city dump.

The Crows' Nest area has three buildings shown on it in the NOM master plan (http://www.nomllc.com/projects/nashville_w...20for%20web.pdf). The northernmost is noted "hotel." I had it in mind that the other two were office buildings, but I'm probably wrong in that assumption, given the drive-through function shown at one of them (bank maybe?).

The Crows' Nest area has three buildings shown on it in the NOM master plan (http://www.nomllc.com/projects/nashville_w...20for%20web.pdf). The northernmost is noted "hotel." I had it in mind that the other two were office buildings, but I'm probably wrong in that assumption, given the drive-through function shown at one of them (bank maybe?).

The PDF shows a "proposed monument sign for hotel and restaurants" next to Target and a road that would lead up the back side of the hill. Hopefully the non-drive-thru restaurant will have big windows - I bet there's a nice view!

Archived