H20 Urban Waterfront District

barakat

The Crows' Nest area has three buildings shown on it in the NOM master plan (http://www.nomllc.com/projects/nashville_w...20for%20web.pdf). The northernmost is noted "hotel." I had it in mind that the other two were office buildings, but I'm probably wrong in that assumption, given the drive-through function shown at one of them (bank maybe?).

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that area as being a part of Nashville West when originally viewing that master plan. The whole area is beginning to make a lot more sense now. Building a bridge over the Cumberland would seem to cement the turnaround of this entire area - I have heard rumblings that the bridge is inevitable, and coming soon. H20 looks like a very nice addition.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several points here;

It is my understanding the area of the Crows nest / hotel will be turned into an upscale hotel (not part of the West Development) Not sure who, I assume a Hilton or similiar build

It would be hard to build a walkway from H2O to the West Development. Both are on Charlotte and on the same side of the street. I guess the city could put in a sidewalk but it would go under I-40, up a little hill to West Development.

IF the city ever builds a bridge over the Cumberland linking OHB onto Charlotte Pike (and there is a plan for this many years off) it would pass over my house. I think due to the marina (Commodore Yacht Club) and our small number of houses the road would be pushed off onto the vacant farm land (Ganier property - yes, the same Ganier who owned the land the West Development is on) but now Bells Bend is a City Park so I dont think the bridge would be build.

How about getting Cleses (sp) Ferry back up and running?

There have been several purposed developments around this area. Katz (sp)(I think one of the Zietlin's) was going to build a condo tower on River Rd - passed zoning too - there was to be a pedestrian bridge across the river to Bells Bend - he passed on this.

He then focused on across the river, where Old Hickory Blvd dead ends into the Cumberland.

The locals teamed up and shot his development down - I think his plans were very nice and done with respect to the wide open land. He has now tapered back the development to the land he owns and will probably build in accordence to the zoning (R80)

On to your bridge question; I do not know the laws / zoning, etc for building a vehicle bridge onto a City Park. It seems this would defeat the purpose of a Park and also since two Whooping Cranes have been found on the Park I would say environmental folks would have a lot to fight over.

Next to the park is Harpeth Valley Utilities so no bridge can go there. This would leave the only option to be Cleases (sp) ferry site. There maybe too many homes on the Nashville side to pull it off though. Unless the City buys the row of houses and builds a straight shot to Charlotte - which would end up at the West Development.

"The locals teamed up and shot his development down - I think his plans were very nice and done with respect to the wide open land. He has now tapered back the development to the land he owns and will probably build in accordence to the zoning (R80)"

The primary obstacle to Scottsville area support was the 8000+ trips added to Old Hickory Boulevard and Ashland City Highway. My impression was that most opposition was around the ACH area, not in the bend itself. A bridge connecting southward to Charlotte would certainly send the majority of those cars that way, eliminating the traffic issues to the north. I'm no developer, but if $10m, even $20m could build a two lane bridge across the Cumberland, and that's all that stands between me and my proposed 1200 homes, whose land I've only paid $18K per acre (give or take), I'd be looking at taking care of it myself!

"On to your bridge question; I do not know the laws / zoning, etc for building a vehicle bridge onto a City Park. It seems this would defeat the purpose of a Park and also since two Whooping Cranes have been found on the Park I would say environmental folks would have a lot to fight over. Next to the park is Harpeth Valley Utilities so no bridge can go there. This would leave the only option to be Cleases (sp) ferry site."

To build a bridge, earth has to be graded to a certain elevation at each bank to allow navigation. What's interesting about the H20 site is that the east portion is already elevated as much as 200' above the river valley, so only the Bells Bend side requires elevating. You don't have that at the old ferry. Plus, traffic can be routed to the existing Davidson Road traffic signal. And the park is west of the treatment plant, while the bridge route from H20 would be east, so no problems there.

So, should a bridge go near H20, Zeitlin gets his development and H20 gets first exposure from folks coming down from the north to shop in west Nashville. Not to mention greatly improved access to the park and reduced trips from the Ashland City highway to get there.

As I consider this information provided by you guys, it occurs to me that the whole "land use vs. conservation" argument needs to include the parameters of inevitable growth as seen in many Southern (especially) cities. So wrt this bridge, have questions/considerations arisen over preserving all of that land as a park versus the consequences of pushing this development further and further out into other areas. In that case, you'd see (not only) the homes taking up formerly rural/forested land, but also the extra miles (fuel, pollution, etc.) required to go to/from those homes to work and shopping, etc.. So does it make sense to use a portion of that beautiful land on the river banks for a bridge to "open up" formerly inaccessible land that is already close to the core of a major city? Or does it make sense to keep it undeveloped and likely result in the supply of homes going to Dickson or Ashland City? Just something to ponder.

• 2 weeks later...

If a bridge is built, it would connect right over where Metro has just opened an 800 acre park called Bells Bend. There is also a river walk in the area that is part of the master river walk plan for Metro.

Well, there are homes across the river from Bells Bend, mine being one of them. There is also a Marina to contend with (Commodore Yacht Club).

I received this from the Planning Dept:

The request to rezone property at 6962 Charlotte Pike (funeral home) passed the third reading before Metro Council on January 15, 2008.

The H2O rezoning is proceeding separately, and will be heard at a Public Hearing before the Planning Commission on 2.14.2008. Beyond that, this rezoning also will need to be heard at three readings before Metro Council.

This is related to the bridge across the Cumberland. I was looking at the new study for the Bells Bend area and there are plans to eventually build the bridge. It was years down the road if my memory was correct. Something like 2020or 2030. You know plans have a ways of being accelerated.

This is related to the bridge across the Cumberland. I was looking at the new study for the Bells Bend area and there are plans to eventually build the bridge. It was years down the road if my memory was correct. Something like 2020or 2030. You know plans have a ways of being accelerated.

Correct, if you looked at the map at nashville.gov it shows a bridge in the long term plans. In fact, about 3 yrs ago the city cut several paths down the river bank to test the area. I do think the plans have been put on the back burner. I hope so.

If not, I am moving

Actually, I did not know this. Bells Bend is across the river from me.

Thanks

Then I guess you don't live in the area :) There's much more info about the Scottsboro/Bells Bend plans here, if this hasn't been directly linked already:

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/subarea/subarea3.htm

It's really nice to see that they are taking efforts to preserve that area.. it's so beautiful and unspoiled, it will be nice if they can manage to keep it that way. A pedestrian bridge could be really nice to connect to the park, though I could see that becoming a nuisance to a degree.

I live on the River Rd side while Bells Bend possible Development is on the other side of the river.

I would like to see a Ped bridge across the river linking Kellys Civil war site (Greenway) to Bells Bend. Of course, Harpeth Valley Utilities would have to all the City build across their land.

ps - Concerning the H2O Development - seems the realtors who have interviewed to be the listing agent are not to happy, the Development folks say all the ads have to be under H2O and the name of the realtor companies cannot be used.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything else about this development?

I walked the greenway with my daughter this evening, and was surprised how quiet it was. When first proposed, I thought H20 was too close to the interstate and Walmart. But I can see how at least the back half of the property would feel altogether removed from those noise sources once the buildings were completed.

I received the below email from the Planning Dept, the hearing was set for 2-14-08:

The public hearing for the proposed H20 development has been deferred, at the request of the applicant, to the April 24th, 2008 meeting of the Planning Commission.

At this time, a Council Bill for this proposed zone change has not been requested, so no readings have been scheduled before the Council.

Rumor has it this development maybe close to being pulled off the table.

Hope not, I would rather see this than the MTC

Does anyone know anything about these developers? I've tried to Google Alpha Corp, Ron Sapp and Mark Hemphill but haven't found anything. You'd hope a company proposing a $250 million dollar project like this one would have some sort of track record.

I know they have an office in Franklin: Its under TPUDC

http://www.tpudc.com/

Does anyone know anything about these developers? I've tried to Google Alpha Corp, Ron Sapp and Mark Hemphill but haven't found anything. You'd hope a company proposing a $250 million dollar project like this one would have some sort of track record.

i met these guys a few months ago. they seemed very nice and quite inspired but in talking to them i didn't get the sense that they had a lot of experience. the h2o cards they gave me both listed each of them as "real estate developer", with offices in brentwood. oddly, their e-mail addresses were ronsapp@hotmail and [email protected] and not linked to a development company. i also found nothing when i tried to google them.

having been to portland i was struck by their local choice of sites upon which to try and duplicate or at least emulate the pearl district. there is absolutely nothing suburban, remote, or disconnected about the pearl. it sounds like that reality and the detetiorating credit market may have finally taken its toll on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the developers. This project is a go. They are well connected in Oregon. They have finances, charisma, and are going forward with one of the best new urbanist project in Nashville.

This is great news. I am excited about this project because of the use of the river and the location is not nearly as bad as I once thought it was. BTW, welcome to the forum R5030125. We hope to hear more news from you concerning this project.

Speaking of other projects in town, I think the Cumberland Yacht Harbor is held up because of the lawsuit filed by environmentalist concerning the Nashville Crayfish. There was a write up in the local issue of the Sierra Club Magazine this past month. That project may be drawn out in court for a while.

I know the developers. This project is a go. They are well connected in Oregon. They have finances, charisma, and are going forward with one of the best new urbanist project in Nashville.

I hope so, time will tell though. I wonder why did they postpone the zoning hearing?

Also, there was a stabbing in the abandoned golf house on this site, one homeless person stabbed another. I do wish someone would remove the abandoned structures at this location

Archived