H20 Urban Waterfront District

barakat

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Storm Water hearing is set for April 3rd. The sign stated it is for disturbing the buffer, adding non compacted soil, etc. The sign is placed next to the inlet that flows up to Charlotte Pk.

Perhaps this development is moving fwd?

How long have the NIA for sale signs been there? I just saw one in front of the funeral home and one in front of the driving range. I did not find the properties listed at the NAI Nashville website, so maybe this is something new.

There is alot of property for sale on Charlotte from the interstate to Old Hickory Boulevard. Almost every empty parcel is for sale. That area is ready to explode with development. It bears watching closely.

How long have the NIA for sale signs been there? I just saw one in front of the funeral home and one in front of the driving range. I did not find the properties listed at the NAI Nashville website, so maybe this is something new.

There is alot of property for sale on Charlotte from the interstate to Old Hickory Boulevard. Almost every empty parcel is for sale. That area is ready to explode with development. It bears watching closely.

I did not see a for sale sign last night, I will look coming home today. I was under the impression the land was all ready purchased by the H2O company.

The signs say "Available" and there is no signage showing the rendering of H20 so I'm concluding that it is the property, not proposed structures, that is available. As of today, this land is not in NAI's data base, so can't say whether the land is being leased or sold.

Maybe the MTC project should acquire this land for the Phase I bridge access without having to go through houses in Charlotte Park and without having to build a new I-40 interchange. There's a lot of space for staging bridge construction as well as for future commercial development.

I noticed the for sale sign and the fact the the funeral home was moving a ways up Charlotte while I was at Lowe's the other day. I did not notice any rezoning signs in the area for H2O for the storm water management. They, being the applicant, are suppose to post the signs for rezoning at thier expense.

I noticed the for sale sign and the fact the the funeral home was moving a ways up Charlotte while I was at Lowe's the other day. I did not notice any rezoning signs in the area for H2O for the storm water management. They, being the applicant, are suppose to post the signs for rezoning at thier expense.

There is a blue sign announcing a public hearing in front of the driving range. It is behind a guardrail and really hard to notice if you are driving out of town.

• 4 weeks later...

Supporters of Smart Growth in the Nashville Area Needed!

Thursday the 24th at 4:00 pm the H2O Urban Waterfront District will go before the Metro Planning Commission. As you know often people will come out to speak negatively about any new development regardless of its merits. While we don't anticipate much if any oppositions we prefer to be proactive in this regard. We are asking that all of those who have been working vigilantly to promote Smart Growth and Sustainability to come to the meeting tomorrow and speak as a citizen about the merits and importance of this project for the City and Region. This project is going to be a model of sustainability, urbanism and green building for the nation.

H2O Urban Waterfront District is compact, mixed-use, pedestrian friendly, community based on the principles of Smart Growth with both water and bus transit. It is designed specifically for the "Creative Class" as identified by Richard Florida and will appeal to hip, professionals and others that enjoy this type of creative urban environment and waterfront living. H2O will consist of retail (boutique shops, gourmet restaurants), office, residential high end lofts, row houses, condos and single family houses. The site is currently an abandoned driving range where people are dumping trash. It will be transformed into an oasis of urbanism in the midst of the surrounding suburban strip development. Projects like this have the potential to be a catalysis for changing the paradigm of suburban sprawl. Often other developers are inspired to abandon their suburban sprawl model to try and emulate the success of the development. H2O is soon to become one of the country's most progressive New Urbanist projects incorporating the latest in sustainable and environmentally sensitive planning and architecture. The design is based on Smart Growth and New Urbanist Principles set forth by Congress of New Urbanism, EPA Smart Growth Division and US Green Building Council. H2O was recently selected as one of 8 projects from around the country for the annual Green Builder Magazine issue schedule for release in May.

The H2O public Planning Commission meeting is tomorrow April 24th at 4pm cst. We invite everyone to attend and support this project"

To learn more about H2O go to www.tpudc.com look at the Portfolio section click on All Projects and select H2O

and www.h2odistrict.com

Please feel free to call if you have any questions 615-948-8702

i'm still not sure how i feel about this one...

new urbanist developments are only good if they can be connected directly to other new urbanist developments... therefore creating a real urban environment, eventually. not a big fan of the false sense of urbanism.

i suppose it would be okay if it were connected via good mass transit, to other urban areas, as well.

on the other hand, i love the ideas of water transit... building green... and promoting the change of suburban sprawl...

I am very much for this, I live about 1.5 miles from this site, the area needs this to happen as the land is becoming a dumping ground and homeless are moving in.

Jeff - I cannot make the meeting today at 4 but put me down for a yes on this.

When will construction start?

H2O is soon to become one of the country's most progressive New Urbanist projects incorporating the latest in sustainable and environmentally sensitive planning and architecture. The design is based on Smart Growth and New Urbanist Principles set forth by Congress of New Urbanism, EPA Smart Growth Division and US Green Building Council. H2O was recently selected as one of 8 projects from around the country for the annual Green Builder Magazine issue schedule for release in May.

Jeff,

I am glad to see this development is going the extra mile with sustainability. For those who missed the Thursday planning meeting, the man presenting H20 stated that all buildings in the development will be LEED Platinum certified. In light of that goal, I have one suggestion. With a location so close to the Cumberland, I hope your design team is considering a raw water intake system for heat exchange in lieu of, say, cooling towers.

I am sure you are aquainted with geothermal heat-pump based systems. In geothermal (geo-exchange) systems, heat from individual heat pumps is either extracted or dumped into underground wells drilled 250 to 300 feet deep. We have gone geothermal in dozens of schools in Kentucky with great success. These systems are cost effective but the wells are quite expensive (and that gives owners the jitters). A typical school may have a hundred such wells, needing roughly 150 feet of well for every ton of heat transfer.

However, utilizing river water is a very efficient and cost-effective way to achieve the same energy savings without drilling wells. Well, better actually. The engineer I work with have designed their mechanical system utilizing Cumberland River water for a 220,000 s.f. school we did in Kentucky. In the case of your H20 LEED platinum development, water could be drawn through a closed loop from the river, through a mechanical room located in each building, and then pumped back into the river. Inside the mechanical rooms, heat would be exchanged between the internal building loop that serves the individual heat pumps and the pipe containing the river water.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2nd hearing on May 6th was successful, there were no public opposition. The only minor concern by neighbors is the traffic. H2O's team is working diligently with the local traffic engineers and are also using the best national traffic engineers to ensure this minor concern does not go unnoticed. The 3rd and final meeting is next Thuesday where the planning commission will officially vote for the preliminary SP.

The 2nd hearing on May 6th was successful, there were no public opposition. The only minor concern by neighbors is the traffic. H2O's team is working diligently with the local traffic engineers and are also using the best national traffic engineers to ensure this minor concern does not go unnoticed. The 3rd and final meeting is next Thuesday where the planning commission will officially vote for the preliminary SP.

Jeff,

Do you have funds on hand to move dirt? Sorry, I don't know how to be any less blunt. So many projects these days get the go ahead but don't get the financing. This one was quoted at $250 mil last year but now is $450 mil. Also, when will you post the revised master plan showing development on the funeral home property and the realignment to the Davidson/Charlotte intersection? Lastly, have you been approached about locating the bridge to Bells Bend from the hill located on your property, and would the H20 team even consider it?

^Homeless people live all along the Cumberland. There are camps off Hermitage Ave near Rolling Mill Hill, below the thermal plant site, along the downtown greenway, and a few spots along the incomplete stretch of greenway connecting MetroCenter and downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

The developers have closed on the 24 acres for the project for 5 million.

This in the NBJ

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...ml?surround=lfn

Smeagolsfree - you beat me to it, I was sleeping at 3am though so that is my excuse.

I am very excited about this project, if the builders keep to their plans this development will be a big boom to this area of the City, good shops, food, living and LEED standards.

I do fish where they are going to build this, I hope they keep a lot of the trees, there are some big old trees there

I have to get up to go to work and sometimes do not get in till 8:30pm, so I have to jump on the scoops while I still can.

I too am excited about this project, however remain a bit worried because of financing with so many of the other high profile projects that are delayed.

Archived